Hubcap Hunting

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In the late 1980's, money was scarce for my Detecting hobby. Driving down a back road, I had to drive under a overpass. Something caught my eye as something was sailing like a Frisbee into the grassy overpass slope. I pulled over to investigate and found a few dozen hub caps from American and Foreign makes. There happened to be a recycle center called Hubcap World who bought used caps. Why were these caps here? I climbed the slope and checked it out and saw a shallow pothole on the freeway. I picked up about 3 dozen undamaged caps and got about $75.00 for them. A Mercedes Benz cap was the most valuable and desirable. Every week I'd slide by my Cap Bank and pick up all undamaged caps and toss the damaged ones near a bridge piling for road crews. I found caps on roadsides that I'd retrieve and when I had 15 or more, I'd cash them in. After a year, road crews repaved the road and eliminated the pothole.
I moved to a different part of Florida that was too far from Hubcap recycle center and now with the current handicap, I gave up the hunt but I still see hub caps along roadsides especially pothole areas. If TH'ers can locate a recycle center, it beats picking up beer cans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread