Just about the same as dumpster diving

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean out houses when someone gets evicted. I walk into some nasty messes as you can imagine. They always leave behind the trash, right? Well I came across multiple tools and need to have a garage sale of just tools. I just don't know enough about them. I have plugged the corded tools in and they work. I am currently researching to see what prices to start the negotiations at. In the past I have come across things that I like and know about. And of course as most know you would be surprised at what people leave behind and throw away.

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found coin collections and comic collections that were left behind. Good thing is I am also a collector...

Tinse

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Quebec
Detector(s) used
N/A
Primary Interest:
Other
We used to know a guy who worked as a janitor at a fairly large apartment complex and he was always finding things.

He used to come into his apartment with his arms full of clothes a lot of the time, including leather jackets.

Tools? That's great; they sell very well at garage sales and should draw customers in.

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro, whites bulls eye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i visit over 50 different storage facilities every month for work, I haul home all sorts of goodies every week. amazing what people leave behind at the dumpster pad:thumbsup:

Jun 13, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...you would be surprised at what people leave behind and throw away.

It never ceases to surprise and amaze me what people throw away!

By the way, you will get more $ for the tools if you sell them on Craigslist or eBay rather than at a garage sale. Facebook is a great place to sell tools locally, too. I see that you're in Oklahoma. (Me too!**) You should try posting a couple on the community page I admin: (https://www.facebook.com/OKC.garage.sale.craigslist/) It has 5,000+ followers who buy and sell second-hand goods and most are in Oklahoma. You simply message back and forth with your prospective buyer, agree on a price then meet the buyer at a safe place like the Sheriff's station to make the exchange. (Read this post: CRAIGSLIST TIP: How to Stop a Craigslist Thief In His Tracks | OKC Craigslist Garage Sales - Oklahoma City) Believe me, it's a lot easier than shipping heavy tools all over the country!

Also, if you don't have any money in the tools you've found, assuming, of course, that they are simply "used" and not antiques or collectibles with the potential to increase in value, I don't think you need to do extensive research in order to determine an asking price. Modern tools usually have logos or labels advertising the brand and model number. I would simply use that info to search eBay for completed listings of the tool in question to find out what it's brought at auction and (depending on condition) ask the same. (Here's how: TIP: What's it worth? Use eBay tool to find a fair price | OKC Craigslist Garage Sales - Oklahoma City)

Knock off about a 1/3 if you sell it on Craigslist and a little over half if you want to sell it in a garage sale. When I can't find something on eBay, I Google the retail price and apply essentially the same formula: ask 1/3 of retail on Craigslist and 20-30% of retail at a Garage Sale.

That's the gist of it, anyway. I hope it helps!

Best of luck,
Kristi

**What are the odds?! I just joined and my first reply is to a fellow Oklahoman's post! I had no idea where you were from at first!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Tnet. And thanks for providing a well-rounded and informative first post! :thumbsup:

Jun 13, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. And thanks for providing a well-rounded and informative first post! :thumbsup:

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words. I had intended to be a fly on the wall, but this one spoke to me. :-)

This is a great forum, by the way. So much good information!!! I'm excited to be a member. I think I will learn a lot. :icon_thumleft:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I was sorta the same way at first. Now they can't shut me up! :laughing9:

Almost 1,700 posts in 4 months. Geez, I really oughta get a life! :laughing7:

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really do craigslist to sale because I don't have the time to run around when I get a call. I don't have facebook but I do an app on my phone called Offerupnow that I can post to and it works out decently. Thanks for the response. And BTW welcome to the party

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread