vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Just noticed this is you very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Oklahoma for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wear dirty clothes, drink a beer and have no identification. It works here in Fresno Ca. :dontknow:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every area is different. Even if it is legal some cop or wannabe may want to push his weight around.

Just be neat and put everything you do not want back.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are diving on private property if the dumpster is behind a business. It is trespassing if they don't want you there. Some don't care and some do.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was once stopped by the local law for digging in the dumpster looking for boxes. They were on a stake out due to some thefts going on. As I was getting the boxes had to give name etc. I also asked if it was illegal to take the boxes out of the dumpster and this one cop said NO it was not. But the next one may say yes, pretty much up to the person stopping you. Just be careful and be aware of what is going on around you if you do. These guys were sneaky and never seen them coming. Could have be bad guys.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most businesses frown upon you taking what they are throwing but some just don't care. I do "look by's" to see if I want to investigate further. Then have a back up plan if your confronted...

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most stores used to not care about dumpster diving....then a few bad apples got it stopped where I live. The scammers would take what they pulled out of a dumpster and try to return it or get money back for it. There's always someone that is gonna ruin it for the rest of us!!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scammers would take what they pulled out of a dumpster and try to return it or get money back for it. There's always someone that is gonna ruin it for the rest of us!!

I never said this on the dumpster forum. I recycle cellphones (over 45,000 so far) 99% of my phone come from dumpsters, I think, I buy them from juan (no english) so not quite sure where he gets them from. He has just told me bits of info. I believe he goes behind every verizon, ATT, ect he can and does his diving. He actually gets over 400 every two weeks. Most of the cells I buy from him are trashed; no back, no battery and screen smashed. That way no one can bring a nice one in the next day to "trade up"

Last edited:

lilrascal006

Aug 30, 2016
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey! live in West LA ( I am pretty sure its legal here, I see people digging in trash all the time) Im looking for a partner though to go diving with!

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
i believe that he means that the best way to get into a locked Dumpster is to push the hinge pin out and open it from the back.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to dive a bit, I was looking for boxes and went in the back of a strip mall that apparently had a game stop and hair saloon out front. Game stop used to flat out throw games and systems away intact, sold quite a few on ebay after testing them. Then they started cutting up the DVD's and would cut the cord on any electric item. Same with the hair place, they'd throw out perfectly good blow dryers and curlers and just cut the cord, I'd splice the cord back together and get them working again. art Van used to throw out perfectly good chairs/end tables ect that had a slight defect.

Times have changed, art van long ago put up a fence around their dumpster, went out looking for a box today and most of them back there were the new kind that lock and compact the boxes, so no more diving there, or even scavenging for a box. Most big stores have the compactors too, but can be a good source for pallets to burn.

metalman89

Jan 25, 2013
Jay, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett powermaster GTA1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Dumpster diving is legal in the United States except where prohibited by local regulation. According to a 1988 Supreme Court Ruling (California vs. Greenwood), when a person throws something out, that item is now the public domain.

Credit to freegandotorg

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah but it's trespassing bro be on the property

Incorrect some areas such as parks and recreation areas are public property and have dumpsters. If a cop wants to charge you with trespass, the law varies from state to state but most you need to do some type of damage to trespass or intent to. Try your luck and don't be a jerk or a creep...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread