Dumpster diving in Missouri?

SpookyHollows

Mar 24, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, I'm new here. And I guess kinda new with dumpster diving? When I was younger I'd peek in the dumpster at some nearby apartments some friends lived at, got a cool cloth painting of a tree from it. At some other place I found lots of wood planks, a vacuum and some paint cans that were still filled with paint.
I'd love to get into dumpster diving again, but I'm..I dunno, worried about it?
I live out in Elsberry now, but I'd have no idea where to dumpster dive, or if it would be allowed.
Should I ask a store before dumpster diving? Or is it fine as long as there's no lock or fence surrounding the dumpster?
I wanted to ask before I try doing anything.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First never ask anyone for permission. It is much easier to say NO than YES. Look for locked dumpsters or locked fence or signs saying keep out. Then follow their rules. Then when you dive just don't make a mess. If you do the next time you visit it may be locked.

Get this book: The Art and Science of Dumpster Diving
I learned a lot

Last edited:

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the old expression is "It's easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission".

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumpster diving at apartment complexes are always best at the end of the month when people are moving out. The Supreme Court years ago ruled that dumpster diving is legal with some stipulations. If the dumpster is locked or behind a gate then no diving unless you have permission. If the building space is leased then what's in the parking lot is technically fair game unless the owner of said building says no. Usually the owner is some group out of state and they would rather not spend court fees out of state for something minor. If the building and land are privately owned then generally no unless you have permission. If you get permission, get thier business card with a phone number and "it's ok to dumpster dive" wrote on the back. That way when the cops show up at 9:00 at night you won't be spending it in a concrete room. This has saved me a lot of hassle before.

Good diving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread