Hoard those finds

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm very new to dumpster diving and here's a few things I've learned regarding the area that I'm hitting. The same things tend to turn up over time. For example, one day a Super Spa Spinner brush is tossed with nearly all the attachments except for one and maybe the power cord. Two weeks later, another one shows up but it has the power cord and the missing attachment from the first one. So, I have learned to take everything with hopes of getting two or three to make one. Granted, it's taking up some space in the barn but worth it.

Most of the appliances that I get have the power cord cut, that means they work. Eventually, a like item that doesn't work shows up with it's cord uncut, that's a win. It's very easy to swap out a cut cord. I've been able to salvage 3 Keurig's, 4 Humidifiers, and two nice 10 cup coffee makers.

Every display electrical device that I've recovered has worked. I have to purchase the power cord but they have all been working models. Braun Series 9 (ebay'd for $125), Flash and Go Express (Facebook Marketplace $200), Samsung Digital Video Monitoring System (ebay'd $75).

I also recover lots of display model strollers and infant car seats, usually missing a wheel here, a part there, a snipped harness. Eventually, the missing parts show up.

When I first started, stuff like that I would either leave behind or toss out at home, dang, what a dummy!

And with the warmer weather, the competition is stiff so now I take everything, broken, busted, incomplete, you name it. I'm hoping that if my fellow divers experience enough failures, they'll move on...lol. If I had a truck, I'd even take the general trash to further make a statement!

To date, I have resold $1,250 worth of merchandise while shucking out $55 for new power cords and less than $50 for ebay/paypal fees. Thank you guys for motivating me and for sharing your success. I must say I find it difficult to share same with anyone local for fear of loosing out on some good finds. However, I do believe in karma so I'm hoping that by sharing something back, this adventure will stay profitable.

I haven't picked up my metal detector since February.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread