Lotto tickets

boatcapt

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2012
NW Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year a co-worker won over $160K in scratch off tickets - a relative worked in a bar and another worked in a conveince store they both saved old non winning tickets for him - you can deduct losings against winnings on Fed Taxes.. He almost had enuf to cancel out his winnings andgot his lotto winnings tax free.. lots of shoe boxes full of tickets - but worth it!!!

What Me Worry?

Jun 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there was a MegaMillions winner in Illinois this past weekend. I'm guessing since it was purchased in that state they are paying out lottery winnings now?

Seek Ye First

Sep 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there was a MegaMillions winner in Illinois this past weekend. I'm guessing since it was purchased in that state they are paying out lottery winnings now?
If that's the case, the Winner better do EXACTLY what your user name says!! I hope he doesn't mind waiting a looooong time to collect! :laughing7:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people are all doing it wrong!

Go to church and just sit there and wait for them to pass the plate of money to you, and then help yourself! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Collecting discarded tickets at the track is not new that's for sure.

I was too young to recall (possibly not even born yet), but my mom would tell me about how my nan would spend hours at the track........I don't think she ever used her own money, but damn she was hooked.

I don't think there wasn't a day in her golden years that she wasn't there picking up dropped tickets.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I win all the time. I buy $20.00 in tickets and win back at least $2.00.:BangHead:
Marvin

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I always if anyone tried to sue them for their winnings. I'd be out trying to file a lien on a state building or two!!! I'd be telling a good attorney "If you win this for me I'll fix you up an office right in the courthouse.":laughing7: Then you could always pull a Christey! Take a bridge & let the good folks go for free and all official vehicles pay the toll.........

OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few friends and I were picking up all the scratch-offs out of the trash we could find and entering the online second chance contests. One couple won a family four pack of Eagles football tickets.
It's very time consuming so I quit doing it.

I used to make a round of town couple times a day on a bicycle and get about 200 tickets, everyone has the same idea, so I just grab them when I happen to be there. Don't really chase it, anymore. Got other things going on, but I will always pick them up, when I can.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
A couple years ago I was walking, and walked past one of those big $20 tickets laying on the ground (someone threw it out of a car). I stopped turned around, grabbed it, and it was a winner. The thing was the original scratcher did not remove the prize area (probably drunk not realizing the matching numbers).

The ticket seen a rain so when I scratched it the prize info would rub out too (also the redemption bar code which is more important). I went to a retailer for damaged ticket paper work to fill out. I do not believe in karma, but seeing the top prize was $2 million I gave the ticket with the paperwork to my best friend. I told him we'll split the money whatever it is. He's the only person I would ever trust to do this with plus he's worth splitting with (a true friend).

About a week goes by, and the prize is what I was expecting that being the price of the ticket ($20). I told my friend "Take the Mrs out to McDonalds for fine dining... LOL!". Some people I told the story to while it was going down was thinking the top prize because they hear stories similar to this. But the odds are it was going to be the base prize. I was also thinking a little conspiracy like to myself that it would be tempting to a Lotto employee receiving a top prize ticket in this scenario. But that would be my luck (I do not believe in luck either other than a saying for beating the odds) not walking by that ticket before it rained.

I keep an eye out for tickets now (I heard from someone that somebody they knew won $700 from a discarded ticket), but do not go out of my way like digging in the garbage (maybe I will now?).

One tip is that if the revealing redemption code has been scratched off, then chances are it was checked, or redeemed already.

Good luck, or rather may the beating of the odds be in your favor.

Last edited:

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to pick up all the old scratch off tickets from the ground outside of a Miami liquor store and always found five to twenty dollars in unclaimed tickets. I think people just aren't paying attention when they scratch off the prizes.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually all ready cashed in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread