Lotto tickets

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any lotto ticket hunters here? When I go to gas stations that sell them, I always get them from the outside trash and you would be surprised how many winners you can find. Whether they are drunk, cant read or simply make a mistake, some people miss em.

I would say on average, if I pick up 200 there is generally 10 to 40$ in it. Sometimes nothing, other times more. A few weeks ago I was cleaning trash from a field, odd job and found a 100$ winner and a 5$ winner. And the day before, I checked my pile of Bingos and crosswords that I save up until I get about 40 or so, on the scanner at the store where you check them yourself and hit 39$

Now granted, this was a great winning streak and it don't always pan out. Some days it's chicken, some days it's feathers. But hey, what can you say, I never play lotto but I often win!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting idea. I never play myself but have picked up tickets laying on the ground that was usually a small winner. I think most just throw them out if its not that big winner that or they don't really know how to read them.......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
around here some lottery stations have a Cardboard box for
in store Second Chance Drawings.
if there are the same there , you could throw the found loosers in the Box for a 2n'd chance too

but now I wonder if any of them go through the box for missed winners.
And since it's a 2nd chance there would be a name & Address on them.

OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
around here some lottery stations have a Cardboard box for
in store Second Chance Drawings.
if there are the same there , you could throw the found loosers in the Box for a 2n'd chance too

but now I wonder if any of them go through the box for missed winners.
And since it's a 2nd chance there would be a name & Address on them.

I think the small winners could still be cashed, the clerks pay no mind to it.

OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do it late at night, so as not to tip my hand, but a new guy started doing it around town, like making 4 rounds a day (small town with a lot of migrant ag workers) And...you guessed it. Now it's all the rage, don't find it like I used to but I still do find some.

OP
OP
Getter

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit 4 of 5 on fantasy 5 lotto

Good luck, I refuse to play (the official way) The government already gets enough of our $ without donating.

Not to sound negative or condemning, BTW

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the day, Massachusetts sent out a junk mail coupon book, loaded with promos for all sorts of things...
It was a big light blue envelope, distributed by the millions, once a month. Included in the book was a coupon for a free $2 scratch ticket. Each post office had a trash bin next to the P. O. Boxes....
I lost count, summer of 93.... thousands of dollars of free tickets! I hit a few hundred a couple times, didn't cost me a thing.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always pick them up when I see them and double check them :headbang: my favorites are the Ones the say on the Front Make sure to scratch the Back for A Second chance at winning have pocketed 20 to eighty dollars on them many times Chug

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post reminds me of when I was a kid aged around 8 to 10 at the racetrack. I'd scamper around collecting as many tickets as I could and then I would check them taking them home if needed as my dad would soon be back again and he could cash any winners in then (he had to cash them anyway, and also buy the tickets for any bets I made). Quinellas were the likliest to be discarded by mistake but a photo finish was always good and best was a steward's inquiry (the result often looked clear and people had chucked their tickets before the inquiry was posted).

I remember the beer in plastic cups (which were abandoned far more often than winning tickets), the steamed hamburgers, and even the jockey and horse names.

Those were different times.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the steamed hamburgers,

???? do you mean the buns or the meat?

When I was in high school (probably freshman in the middle 1960's) I went to the local race track. (Hollywood Park) I must have signed up for something because they started sending me things in the mail. 30 years later I was still on their mailing list, whenever i visited my parents my mom would hand me a few mailings. They just do not give up. I guess they think if you went they got you hooked for life. One visit to the race track was good enough for me. Out of business now, not a good area of town.

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???? do you mean the buns or the meat?

The buns. The burgers and onions were grilled. That was it. They must've had ketchup and mustard on offer too, you'd think, but I don't remember using them.

I spent a lot of time at the track as a kid, and got to be a pretty good handicapper (there were lots of little training tricks like racing non-winners with winners to get them into shape and then entering them against non-winners at the same claiming price once they were coming into form) but I got turned off the sport. There were a lot of things that bothered me but the clincher was when the best two-year-old our track had ever seen stepped in a pothole on the clubhouse turn and went down 14 lengths in the lead. The idiots who'd bet against her were still cheering their luck when the gun-shot rang out.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy found a winning ticket in the trash at a local convenience store, he tried to cash it, the store claimed it was theirs because it was in their trash, so maybe take it to another store and scan it. Yeah, I've seen migrant workers play the scratch offs, some have no idea, some hand them to the clerk even to scratch off the bar code, they never see the results just trust the clerk. Lots of scratch offs in trash bins, yeah this could be another hobby to start.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 2 yrs ago I got this idea when I was throwing some trash at a corner store and found a $25 winner thrown in the trash wet.. kept it and let it dry.. cashed it and I was hooked.. 2nd store found a few more winners thrown away.. collected then and for a few months searched at night from January to May. I collected enough winnings that it paid for a weeks long hotel stay in a 4 Star hotel.. My kids didn't like the idea but liked the stay.. Haven't done it since but about a month or so was pumping gas and a 5 dollar scratch off was on the floor. picked it up and it was a $10.00 winner.. May give this hobby another go round again.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread