Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walked by a dumpster in north east harbor Maine, saw a box next to it and kicked it, realized it was full, picked it up and opened it, it was filled to the brim with jewelry. Gold, silver, gems, watches, you name it it was in there. Best cache I ever found !! Sold some of it but still got some. Still get the chills when I think about it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walked by a dumpster in north east harbor Maine, saw a box next to it and kicked it, realized it was full, picked it up and opened it, it was filled to the brim with jewelry. Gold, silver, gems, watches, you name it it was in there. Best cache I ever found !! Sold some of it but still got some. Still get the chills when I think about it.
Would love to see photos of the watches. I am a watch collector! Love them

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say that I've never really looked inside dumpsters, I don't know, ya got me thinking. Sad to say though that at my current age and things that go along with it, I'd have to carry a step ladder just to get up to the edge to peek in.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say that I've never really looked inside dumpsters, I don't know, ya got me thinking. Sad to say though that at my current age and things that go along with it, I'd have to carry a step ladder just to get up to the edge to peek in.
No Grand kids to drag along to do the heavy lifting? Get them out there helping you, It will do them some good learning how we made ends meet at all costs! They can't catch the gold bug if they don't know what it is or how to do it! IMO :)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to see photos of the watches. I am a watch collector! Love them

Found a few of them. There were 8 of them, I found 5 of them and one womens seiko I sold some years ago. So 2 my wife probably have. There was only 1 mans item in the whole box and it was a good looking citizen eco drive that I never got going. Benrus, oleg cassini, hamilton, and citezen. The citezen looks like you need a degree to figure out how to work it. photo-508.JPG photo-507.JPG oops forgot about miky mouse too. Not bad for a dumpster find.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdking, I don't have any grandkids to press into service, although there are enough munchkin's living down the street that I might rent from the parents. I'm even thinking perhaps one that's built low to the ground to dig holes, Hmmmmmmm

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdking, I don't have any grandkids to press into service, although there are enough munchkin's living down the street that I might rent from the parents. I'm even thinking perhaps one that's built low to the ground to dig holes, Hmmmmmmm
See now you are on to something!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a few of them. There were 8 of them, I found 5 of them and one womens seiko I sold some years ago. So 2 my wife probably have. There was only 1 mans item in the whole box and it was a good looking citizen eco drive that I never got going. Benrus, oleg cassini, hamilton, and citezen. The citezen looks like you need a degree to figure out how to work it. View attachment 1460109 View attachment 1460110 oops forgot about miky mouse too. Not bad for a dumpster find.
Got to love free. Almost all ladies watches are death. No one collects them, not even the ladies. The hamilton and the mickey are keepers the rest MEH The Mickey is a Lorus which is late 80's 90's The ecodrive is cool, by not getting it running do you mean you didn't try or have you put a battery in it? The battery is rechargeable but they do go bad, if you did that and no go the watch is probably toast.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to check battery. Never really even tried. Has blue angels symbol on the back. Thing looks super cool and high tech !!
My grand pa had a 18k patek philippe. Man I wish I had that thing. My cousin has it.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to check battery. Never really even tried. Has blue angels symbol on the back. Thing looks super cool and high tech !!
My grand pa had a 18k patek philippe. Man I wish I had that thing. My cousin has it.
Blue angels? Hot dog then it is a Skyhawk! Worth 80 to 100 bucks broken and 275 working. Would pay to get it fixed if it is a battery. You can get a complete new movement off eBay for 60 bucks.
Pry that Patek out of your cousin! That thing could be worth a fortune. Pateks are as little as 2 grand but they can go sky is the limit fast. They have Pateks worth well north of 3 million dollars. It is not hard to have a 40 - 60 K patek

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my better finds was several boxes of "World Tour" stereo opticon cards with two stereo opticons inside one of the boxes. Estimated worth today I believe is around 650+!
One of the cards shows the Indian who posed for the buffalo nickle.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my better finds was several boxes of "World Tour" stereo opticon cards with two stereo opticons inside one of the boxes. Estimated worth today I believe is around 650+!
One of the cards shows the Indian who posed for the buffalo nickle.
That is a spectacular find!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 13 or 14 I found a bunch of Playboy mags in the garbage. In the realm of best finds its hard to beat this in the eyes of my 13 year old self. :)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 13 or 14 I found a bunch of Playboy mags in the garbage. In the realm of best finds its hard to beat this in the eyes of my 13 year old self. :)

I bet your parents wondered why all the boys in your grade were constantly coming to visit their new best friend.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, You must have had the biggest forearms out of every freshman in HS :)

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
About six years ago, the olé lady and I went to Smith's on a Sunday morning and all the refrigerated shelves were empty. I asked an employee what was going on and he said the system for the refrigerators went out during the night. Because of liability issues, they couldn't even give the food away.
I grabbed the olé lady and ran for the truck and headed for the dumpsters around back. There was one large dumpster and a small dumpster full of food. There was 5 or 6 shopping carts full of dairy products. We filled the back of my truck with over 75 one pound packages of bacon, over 30 Butter ball and Jenny O turkeys, over 50 smoked hams, several large Lloyds bbq rib packages, tons of steaks and roasts, and a shopping cart full of fancy cheeses.
I gave about 2/3rds of it away to my neighbors and didn't have to buy meat for over 2 years afterwards. I filled a small dorm fridge plus the dairy drawer in my kitchen fridge, and then some just with cheese.
That, my friends, was my best dumpster dive!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...he said the system for the refrigerators went out during the night. Because of liability issues, they couldn't even give the food away.

That happened at my local walmart this winter, power outage. I asked a manager about it. he had been up all night with other employees. They had refrigerated semi trucks behind the store and saved everything. nobody got anything.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I make a daily run into town at the local dump to check the metal scrap dumpster. I've got lots of good material for welding. Last week, the town medical community center must have tossed out a whole bunch of metal bed frames. All nice straight angle iron lengths for lots of building projects. That stuff is pretty spendy when bought at the steel plant.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happened at my local walmart this winter, power outage. I asked a manager about it. he had been up all night with other employees. They had refrigerated semi trucks behind the store and saved everything. nobody got anything.
Thats because the owners of Wally Mart are greedy cheapskates!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread