What is your best dumpster find?

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in High School my friend worked at the local grocery store. He took out the trash on most nights.

One night I went out there and found that he accidently had thrown away two cases of beer and wine coolers.

I told him about it when I picked him up from work. He was as surprised as I was!!!

Hvactech19

Oct 28, 2019
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Predator 3, AT MAX, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once stepped on a nail then got stung by a bee instantaneously in a dumpster searching for goodies........ didn't keep me away 😂

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in High School my friend worked at the local grocery store. He took out the trash on most nights.

One night I went out there and found that he accidently had thrown away two cases of beer and wine coolers.

I told him about it when I picked him up from work. He was as surprised as I was!!!

Your really letting me down treasurenet. One of the most concise and greatest works of ironic humor ever posted and only one like? This is a lot of work.

Gutstring

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2019
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT (rip), discovery 2200(rip)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all, this is my first post, glad to be here. Years ago found a harbor freight metal detector, should have left that one there. Then I found a discovery 2200, I thought that was a decent find. I caught the detectors bug with that one. So I started to save for a better detector, but then I found a MXT in the can. Not bad. But I'd have to say my best find was a book, that Half Price Books offered me 40$ for, but I declined. I put it in auction and did a little better. $6000. It was a hand written cattle ledger that contained all the whose who of Texas cowboys and their brands. It was from the 1800's. Not too shabby. Anyways great to be here!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love this thread and love finding those discarded treasures and stories of the same. Some absolutely stunning examples of great finds.

The value of my best find has yet to be determined but has to be the dozen or so nautical maps, declassified military computer printouts and such I found 3 years ago collected by a local military Col. They were in a box with a hand-drawn set of plans, which is why I actually grabbed the box. Someone evidently bought a home and threw all this info away.

I live at ground zero for the 1715 Fleet, so it got my attention (the latest date on the material was 1972). One of the maps had seven(?) hand-drawn, colored keys drawn on it and it went from the Amelia Island area of Florida to the Campeche Peninsula of southern Mexico. The map is scattered with hand made notes. Lots of fishing-related notes, snapper reefs, trawler snags, sunken ship references as well. The only thing missing is a red "X" marking the pirate treasure.

Maybe with time and patience, the answer will present itself as to its value.

sunnyjim333

Sep 4, 2011
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hi All,
Last year I took out the trash at my brother-in-laws apartment and I thought, "go ahead, take a peek". I found 300 Chinese rap cds, all in binders. I hate rap music, and don't speak Chinese. I do sell on 3-bay and made a nice stash selling them. This is a great thread. Happy hunting all, never dive head first.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tossed piano..

When we had a piano it had a secret compartment only a piano tuner would know about. The entire panel where you would bump your knees would come out. A hidden latch way up at the top opened it up and you could pull the entire panel. I used to keep all my coins and gold in there. I double checked that spot before I sold it and before the movers came.

So always check that area if you come upon an older upright piano.

Hey Dan! When I came back to this forum, your story reminded of finding an old piano. The local city had a "Clean Up Weekend" around their water source and recreational lake. They had established several drop-off areas for the cabin residents to leave their junk that was the closest to them. Man, did the stuff start piling up.

A sad sight, someone dropped off an old upright piano. Then, the tire tracks showed that someone else came along, backed up, tossing off several harden sacks of old cement mix, tearing up the wooden lid and wooden front covering the metal framework harp soundboard where the strings run.... I saw some of the white and black keys. So, I moved the sacks and raked away the chunks of harden gravel mix and with a piece of the concrete I began tapping sideways on one or two of the black keys. I saw the keys weren't just stained black, they were pieces of solid ebony. The glue joint and the old horsehide glue made for a fairly clean break. I collected all the black keys in a ZipLoc baggie and have them ready for inlay work and glue together to make turning stock for writing pens. African Gaboon Ebony is expensive... 1 board foot measures 1"x12"x12". A single Bdft, with little to no white sapwood sells "to the tune" of over $100.00...if you can find it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread