I Found A Locked Safe, and Have No Idea How To Get Inside of It!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at the pic? Take a sledge and just start working on the door! That looks more like a Firesafe than an actual" keep people out safe."

Take a sledge to the center of that door until something gives! :laughing7: That thing isn't going to have "auto lockers" or anything like that. Just get tough with it!

clifdweller

Aug 18, 2017
southwest
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hold it!!!!!
Don't be so quick to destroy the safe!!!!
If it is a fireproof safe the manufacturer will send you a key for $10. maybe the price has gone up but why ruin the safe?
If it's a combination lock they will probably send you the combination if you provide the serial number.

OP
OP
J

Jebus

Jan 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys I have been beating that thing senseless with a sledgehammer with no luck, the crowbar broke and the locksmiths want $100+ to open it. Also Sentry needs proof of ownership which I don't have since I found it. Might just end up going to go buy a torch lol

miceli101

Aug 28, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the default code for Sentry safes, 1,7,5,0,0. Good luck Or try the following

If you can't remember your electronic lock's combination, you can open your electronic combination safe in an emergency with the override key.

Remove the small tear-drop shaped clip-on cover between the knob and the keypad
Insert the tubular override key into the key opening
Turn the key clockwise and hold it in position
Turn the handle clockwise to open the door
Replace the clip-on cover

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I have been beating that thing senseless with a sledgehammer with no luck, the crowbar broke and the locksmiths want $100+ to open it. Also Sentry needs proof of ownership which I don't have since I found it. Might just end up going to go buy a torch lol

don't torch it. pick the lock its easy

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nitric is right go through the back 1/2 " drill bit and a sawsall, If you don't have a sawsall just drill a line of holes and smack it with your sledge hammer.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bring it by my shop I Get Half of the Treasure Chug

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen videos where people drop these from 15 feet or so. If they land on the edge, I've seen some safes (not sure which brand) to just pop open.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... but does it sound like there is anything in the safe? I watched the video and agree, even if it sounds empty Id still need to know.

so, just a thought, ever see the trick where people were opening bike locks with the casing from a bic pen? Might as well give it a try.

clifdweller

Aug 18, 2017
southwest
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These fire safes are designed to melt around the edge when exposed to high heat. They are not designed to prevent picking. If all else fails you should be able to pry right at the lock and pop it open. You will probably ruin the safe but as a last resort keep it in mind.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Try a high quality cold chisel and 5 to 8 pound hammer and chisel the hinge bracket off the door and the frame of the safe. Once done, the door will hopefully pry open from the hinge side.

Frank

I have a Sentry safe the pins go into the hinge side of the frame too.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
I opened a safe like that by drilling the Hinge pins caps off then pried from
the hinge side. It was left behind in an Apt., the guy was a Pro Gambler.

The guy I opened it for sold it broken to the landscaper. LOL

It had Herbs in and NOT the cooking kind!

OP
OP
J

Jebus

Jan 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
.... but does it sound like there is anything in the safe? I watched the video and agree, even if it sounds empty Id still need to know.

so, just a thought, ever see the trick where people were opening bike locks with the casing from a bic pen? Might as well give it a try.

I have not tried that, so definitely something I might try! It does sound empty, but the story I read about the guy selling what he thought was an empty safe for $100 that had $26,000 in it, makes it impossible lol I have to know now!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a safe just like that. We drove a Crowbar into the opening side with a sledge and just pried it open. Took less than 5 minutes. The safe sounded empty but there was an envelope with over $600 bucks in it. Cha ching! Must open it before you let it go. Was quite the surprise for us and the guys got a little bonus at the end of the day.

OP
OP
J

Jebus

Jan 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a safe just like that. We drove a Crowbar into the opening side with a sledge and just pried it open. Took less than 5 minutes. The safe sounded empty but there was an envelope with over $600 bucks in it. Cha ching! Must open it before you let it go. Was quite the surprise for us and the guys got a little bonus at the end of the day.

And those are the kind of stories that make me have to know whats in there!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted post...

Added.....Nevermind...I was reading through fast and misunderstood.....

Beat the lock off....Stick a punch in the remaining hole or something and drive the rest of the lock out that is on the inside....
Just throwing out random ideas! It would have been driving me insane by now! Get tough with it if you haven't gotten in yet! I wouldn't be able to sleep until I was in that thing!:laughing7:

Or....get the drill and camera out(the kind on the flexy shaft) and unlock it by using the dial and camera...I saw it in a movie?:laughing7:

Long story short.....We had a gun safe we didn't want ruined, we cut the bottom open, pulled the shelves out, I crawled up in side, removed the pad on the door, took the lock apart, and opened it. redid the combo. welded a plate on the bottom, and I'm still using it today. Everyone wants to go in the door, on even the better safes the bottom or back is easier. Especially, if you want to save it. Your past that, just throwing it in here incase you run into one you want to keep.

Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a Milwaukee cutoff grinder with metal cutting blades, get the thin ones, the cutters, not the grinder. Start with a small square, so you can look inside without all of the effort.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions