Unreal! They caught a Charity company dumping a truck load of donations!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigo

While it might seem terrible at first. Many charities have a on going problem of people fostering unsaleable crap onto charities. Items that are unsalable have to be thrown out. Thus the charities get hit with the dumping cost.

Childrens toys no one buys cheap plastic toys there is no market. Soiled cloths. Old mattresses. Bikes broken electrical items. old lounges do not sell. Baby strollers prams kids cars seats regardless if there is nothing wrong with it. It does not sell. Half the time they cannot even give it away.

I do not know in America but in Australia the cost of dumping garbage is astronomical. Because of federal legislation of Environmental green measures charging local governments a tax on per ton of garbage generated, in due turn the garbage tips has raised the cost so high. Many on low income just dump the rubbish on the side of road because of high dump fees. Alternatively others donate to local charity bins that get overwhelmed by in essence useless rubbish.

So charities trying to generate money for charity are spending more money paying to dump trash than helping those they intend to help. This phenomenon I believe is happening across the developed world. It would not surprise me America has the same problem.

We have in western world are overrun with cheap manufactured consumer goods crap and we are all to blame for it.

I will give you a classic example I have lawn mower that needs fixing it is cheaper to buy the exact same lawn mower brand new than pay for the part for broken down lawn mower. Insane.

America generates 139.6 million tons of waste, per year Australia generates 36.6 million tons per year. While both countries are about the same land size. Population of Australia is about 13 times smaller than US. So not very flattering statistic for us Aussies.

Crow

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah, it costs $25 0r $30 to take junk to a transfer station. Much cheaper to foist it off as a "donation" to some charity, and let them deal with it. People are often "junk" themselves, sadly.
Jim

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Jim

I get scalped in my part of the world. Here is my local tip fees.

Waste
(minimum charge up to 20kg)$398 per tonne(minimum charge $8)Garden Organics < 150mm (clean, separated lawn clippings & prunings)(minimum charge up to 20kg)$220 per tonne(minimum charge $4.40)Garden Organics > 150mm$398 per tonne FOGO(food waste, shredded paper, coffee grinds)$220 per tonne Veterinary Waste(minimum charge up to 10kg)$420 per tonne(minimum charge $4.20)Paper & Cardboard - Commercial(minimum charge up to 20kg)$220 per tonne(minimum charge $4.40)Clean & separated Polystyrene - Commercial(minimum charge up to 20kg)$398 per tonne(minimum charge $8)Concrete, brick or tile (excluding, floor & wall tiles)$398 per tonne Mattress and/or Mattress Base - cot to king single size- double to king size$25 each$36 each Tyre - Car Tyre - Truck$21 each$25 each Fridge, freezer, air conditioning unit$15 each Bulk clean earth (VENM) (suitable for Depot needs)Price on application Bulk clean earth (VENM) (not suitable for Depot needs)$398 per tonne Asbestos (by prior arrangement)$485 per tonne(minimum charge $160)Waste requiring special handling (by prior arrangement)$485 per tonne

The only things they will take for free is things they can make money off.

Metals (whitegoods, steel, aluminium, copper & brass)Free Paper & cardboard(domestic quantities only)Free Clean & separated polystrene(domestic quantities only)Free Comingled recycling (glass bottles & jars, steel & aluminium cans, plastic food containers)Free Household Problem Waste(CD/DVDs, mobile phones, ink cartridges, fluorescent tubes & globes, smoke alarms, x-rays, paints, e-waste, car batteries, gas bottles & fire extinguishers)Free

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola amigos

I will tell you all a funny Ironic story.

Things are so ludicrously over packaged these days that contributes to so much waste.

I needed a good pair of scissors because I did not have one. I bought a strong good pair of scissors encased in strong clear plastic packaging. So strong was the packaging I needed good pair of scissors to cut open the clear plastic packaging to get to the scissors.:tongue3:

Kanacki

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gidday Jim

I get scalped in my part of the world. Here is my local tip fees.

Waste
(minimum charge up to 20kg)$398 per tonne(minimum charge $8)Garden Organics < 150mm (clean, separated lawn clippings & prunings)(minimum charge up to 20kg)$220 per tonne(minimum charge $4.40)Garden Organics > 150mm$398 per tonne FOGO(food waste, shredded paper, coffee grinds)$220 per tonne Veterinary Waste(minimum charge up to 10kg)$420 per tonne(minimum charge $4.20)Paper & Cardboard - Commercial(minimum charge up to 20kg)$220 per tonne(minimum charge $4.40)Clean & separated Polystyrene - Commercial(minimum charge up to 20kg)$398 per tonne(minimum charge $8)Concrete, brick or tile (excluding, floor & wall tiles)$398 per tonne Mattress and/or Mattress Base - cot to king single size- double to king size$25 each$36 each Tyre - Car Tyre - Truck$21 each$25 each Fridge, freezer, air conditioning unit$15 each Bulk clean earth (VENM) (suitable for Depot needs)Price on application Bulk clean earth (VENM) (not suitable for Depot needs)$398 per tonne Asbestos (by prior arrangement)$485 per tonne(minimum charge $160)Waste requiring special handling (by prior arrangement)$485 per tonne

The only things they will take for free is things they can make money off.

Metals (whitegoods, steel, aluminium, copper & brass)Free Paper & cardboard(domestic quantities only)Free Clean & separated polystrene(domestic quantities only)Free Comingled recycling (glass bottles & jars, steel & aluminium cans, plastic food containers)Free Household Problem Waste(CD/DVDs, mobile phones, ink cartridges, fluorescent tubes & globes, smoke alarms, x-rays, paints, e-waste, car batteries, gas bottles & fire extinguishers)Free

Crow

Crow, I feel for you. Those prices are incredible compared to what we pay.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hola amigos

I will tell you all a funny Ironic story.

Things are so ludicrously over packaged these days that contributes to so much waste.

I needed a good pair of scissors because I did not have one. I bought a strong good pair of scissors encased in strong clear plastic packaging. So strong was the packaging I needed good pair of scissors to cut open the clear plastic packaging to get to the scissors.:tongue3:

Kanacki

I'm constantly grabbing tools now to open packaging. Can't figure out what that's all about.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread