Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read that, at the end it say my Safari will still be better at the beach.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting article.

Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read that, at the end it say my Safari will still be better at the beach.

That isn't really what it says, it says BBS and FBS are better at finding silver in all conditions. Safari is not water proof and so can not be used in water like the Equinox can and Safari better be protected from the salt mist in the air or it will cause corrosion issues on the mother board and the headphone connection.

"How does Multi-IQ compare to BBS/FBS?
[FONT=&quot]Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a [/FONT]wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal [FONT=&quot]that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."[/FONT]

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That isn't really what it says, it says BBS and FBS are better at finding silver in all conditions. Safari is not water proof and so can not be used in water like the Equinox can and Safari better be protected from the salt mist in the air or it will cause corrosion issues on the mother board and the headphone connection.

"How does Multi-IQ compare to BBS/FBS?
Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."

O k let me say It will still be better for ME at the beach

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to own a Safari, it worked good at beach, but not being able to hunt in the water with it is a drawback and I find far more gold in the water that on the sand. Be sure to keep enviromental cover on it though or the salt mist will be a problem.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
321320.png According to this it seems the 600 has the same multi-IQ but leaves out 2 of the frequencies in single use. Quote from below image..... "...."20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800. This diagram is representative only. Actual sensitivity levels will depend upon target types and sizes, ground conditions and detector settings."

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I was getting ready to post on this topic. I need a water detector so i will probably get one because of that. I am disappointed that it won't have the performance on silver like the fbs detectors, but since i have the etrac, I can use that for when I go hunting for old silver.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only said BBS/FBS has an advantage over the Equinox, not that the Equinox want find silver. There is no one detector that does it all.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
They only said BBS/FBS has an advantage over the Equinox, not that the Equinox want find silver. There is no one detector that does it all.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!
I didn't say it wouldn't find silver, just said what the article said, that the fbs still finds it better, which i was hoping it would be at least the same. we are going to have to wait and see and then make judgements I guess, but i am just stating what came from their website.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Minelab had me after reading the first two paragraphs in the way they analyzed and approached the challenge of developing this new detector. I was further impressed by the way they incorporated users into the development process. It actually reminded me of the way the Army approached the development of the M1 tank back in the day. I knew the Army's PM on that project, MG Bob Sunell. He fully incorporated soldiers into a well analyzed process and came out with the best tank in the world.

I'm looking forward to follow on articles about this process with the final chapter being the actual hands on piece!

Just the view from my foxhole...

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked Part 1, look forward to Part 2. It will replace my X-Terra 70, and perhaps the AT Pro. I will still use the Safari, but so far I really like any information I can gain on the EQ 800. That would or could be MY all around detector. For general hunting, I'd most likely run "all bands", but I like the option of being able to switch over to say 5Khz for say copper/silver/brass and 20 or 40 for small gold? while trying to avoid zinc cents etc? But again, I would use all five together for general purpose hunting. I'm not to crazy about the "sealed" battery pack, but it is what it is. Thank you Dan for the Part 1 awareness, it helps.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O k let me say It will still be better for ME at the beach

How can you make a statement like that about a detector you have never touched. It could be 10X better at the beach, it could be terrible, we don't know. All we can do is make inferences. What we do know, is that Minelab has a great history of putting out great detectors and I have more than a sneaking suspicion this one is going to be great.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only said BBS/FBS has an advantage over the Equinox, not that the Equinox wont find silver.

Some people are losing their minds about that bit of info on other forums and, I admit, I was a bit bummed to read that info at first, but I read it to mean exactly what they say : "slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets." This can be explained by the simple low frequency difference between the two, which isn't huge: 3 kHz vs the Nox's 5Khz. Of course the latter would be "slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets" based on that stat alone.

Based on the preliminary reports and videos, I don't think the Nox will have any problems finding deep coins. The Russian depth video, albeit not a great test bed, is promising and shows that it had no problems finding a dime-sized coin at 12" in their test. For me, a 10" dime is plenty...

Like everyone else, I'm really looking forward to some real world tests to surface. Especially what this machine can do when pushed to its limits or with settings tailored to deep silver.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sold my Safari to make my preorder
Possible. Minelab, please don't make me regret doing it. I had nothing against my safari but thought it wasn't
Ideally suited to my type of detecting
which is relic / woods hunting.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I sold my Safari to make my preorder
Possible. Minelab, please don't make me regret doing it. I had nothing against my safari but thought it wasn't
Ideally suited to my type of detecting
which is relic / woods hunting.
Man, I hope you don't regret it. It looks like its going to be a fine machine, but I wouldn't sell my etrac to get one. I wouldn't sell my etrac to help finance a ctx for that matter even though its a great machine as well. I want an equinox myself but I am going to wait and see how the finished product performs before I pull the trigger.

Good luck....

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it says BBS and FBS are better at finding silver in all conditions.

Minelab doesn't know what its talking about, that's an utterly nonsensical statement. Its so ridiculous where would I start, maybe they meant in air tests but even that would be wrong.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab doesn't know what its talking about, that's an utterly nonsensical statement. Its so ridiculous where would I start, maybe they meant in air tests but even that would be wrong.

I think its more about "please don't stop buying our most expensive detectors". Once I get my EQ, I'll be doing head to head comparisons against CTX to find out the truth.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its more about "please don't stop buying our most expensive detectors". Once I get my EQ, I'll be doing head to head comparisons against CTX to find out the truth.

Ditto, already have the small silver and gold ready for testing EQ vs Se Pro vs Deus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread