hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the topic of audio that's pretty much my top requirement for any detector I buy. It's why I initially bought the Deus. I spent many years in submarines wearing a set of headphones in sonar. I'd be happy with a pure analog unit that converted signals from the coil to audio.

Of course any advances in detection tech at this point won't be about power output. It's more on signal processing now so digital machines that can do that and provide good audio will be of great interest to me.

The biggest advancement in identification will likely be using machine learning.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't mean to barge in on the Equinox thread here but got thinking as well before purchasing one my self.. going back to Tesoro machines will smack down on the smallest metal and at a fair distance as well, take the Compadre for instance at 12Khz a killer lil unit that packs a punch on the smallest stuff for most of the higher end machines even at this frequency for small bb's etc..you stand any other machine against it for it's consistancy light weight and price as a go to machine in the back of your trunk..that is what I use for small items and still till this day can't get over the smallest finds things this unit has grabbed me vs the other machines I still use today as a analog no display, dig everything unit.

Comparing apples to oranges really. I absolutely love my beep and dig units on occasion but there is a time and a place for it.....for my uses anyways. That Compadre is a legendary unit for the money but there are many things it won't and can't do that the EQ will.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just wondering If in a future update minelab could greatly improve the modulation of the audio. Some have noted some modulation after the update that was not present before, but I’m wondering if an update could address it more fully.

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have and use a new Deus 5.2 with X35 11 inch coil, new Etraq with various coils, and an old Lobo super traq with multi coils. I like and use them all.

I've relic hunted 20+ years and have yet to find a target that all three machines won't hit. Not a real techy post (sorry) but true.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy my Tesoro Cibola and XP Deus. The Deus will get those tiny annoying items like vferrari's he showed us. When we went down to my horrid red dirt site in VA, the Deus found more of the tiny CW percussion caps than the Equinox. My Cibola has found MOST of my best finds as I've had it longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread