EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of trash - iron or modern (i.e., aluminum can slaw, pull tabs, gum wrappers, and bottlecaps)? Also, are you looking for deep silver or mid-conductors (gold, nickels), just coins, jewelry, or relics? Soil mild or hot?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hugh has good questions. Truth 1253, I'd see if I could get hands on testing of both or either or any machine before you buy it. I see so many used machines of all kinds for sale, you know there is a lot of bought it on hype purchasing and then found dissatisfaction with the machine, no matter who makes it, so it gets sold. Been happening since machines were first made. I've even done it, albeit a long time ago. I keep my Deus set on the idiot mode, (factory settings) and it has been awesome. I have used it in open fields, moderate soil, did good. Parks and salt beaches with lots of aluminum foil, did good, was able to discriminate out the foil and small trash. I sometimes deliberately dig pull tabs, just in case there's gold hiding there, but have yet had the machine misidentify gold for a pulltab. In CW hut sites, I deliberately dig the bigger iron, yet got a nice cuff eagle button with a ton of iron still stuck to the back, an iron backed one on Sunday. Was a solid signal. In the CW huts I can easily get through the nails to the good stuff. In house sites, I hear the iron, sometimes dig the big pieces as these are colonial homes and I might get an ax, and it gets tiny 3/8" pewter and tombac and brass buttons and the coins. Is there anything else I want or need? No. I have found out the 74 khz setting on the Deus ROCKS with small brass and silver items down, like WAY down in the ground. Pulled an eagle cuff button at 9" plus the other day. Thought I had missed it but no, like, it's way too deep, but it was at the bottom of the hole. The 28.8 khz frequency didn't pick it up. Equinox goes to 40 if I remember correctly.

I would see if there is a club near you, join up and see what the people are saying about their respective machines before you buy anything. Might be able to get that testing in.

Here's one example, went digging in bad ground and was using my trusty Tesoro Cibola. Was getting nothing but new bullets. Other guys were getting minie balls. So I switched to the Tesoro Vaquero with a large loop and started nailing them, as in 50 minies. And both machines are from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of trash - iron or modern (i.e., aluminum can slaw, pull tabs, gum wrappers, and bottlecaps)? Also, are you looking for deep silver or mid-conductors (gold, nickels), just coins, jewelry, or relics? Soil mild or hot?

Soil ground balances at low 80’s so semi high
mineralization. Not to much iron at all just pull tabs, bottle-tops and can slaw. Looking for the deep silver more than gold.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hugh has good questions. Truth 1253, I'd see if I could get hands on testing of both or either or any machine before you buy it. I see so many used machines of all kinds for sale, you know there is a lot of bought it on hype purchasing and then found dissatisfaction with the machine, no matter who makes it, so it gets sold. Been happening since machines were first made. I've even done it, albeit a long time ago. I keep my Deus set on the idiot mode, (factory settings) and it has been awesome. I have used it in open fields, moderate soil, did good. Parks and salt beaches with lots of aluminum foil, did good, was able to discriminate out the foil and small trash. I sometimes deliberately dig pull tabs, just in case there's gold hiding there, but have yet had the machine misidentify gold for a pulltab. In CW hut sites, I deliberately dig the bigger iron, yet got a nice cuff eagle button with a ton of iron still stuck to the back, an iron backed one on Sunday. Was a solid signal. In the CW huts I can easily get through the nails to the good stuff. In house sites, I hear the iron, sometimes dig the big pieces as these are colonial homes and I might get an ax, and it gets tiny 3/8" pewter and tombac and brass buttons and the coins. Is there anything else I want or need? No. I have found out the 74 khz setting on the Deus ROCKS with small brass and silver items down, like WAY down in the ground. Pulled an eagle cuff button at 9" plus the other day. Thought I had missed it but no, like, it's way too deep, but it was at the bottom of the hole. The 28.8 khz frequency didn't pick it up. Equinox goes to 40 if I remember correctly.

I would see if there is a club near you, join up and see what the people are saying about their respective machines before you buy anything. Might be able to get that testing in.

Here's one example, went digging in bad ground and was using my trusty Tesoro Cibola. Was getting nothing but new bullets. Other guys were getting minie balls. So I switched to the Tesoro Vaquero with a large loop and started nailing them, as in 50 minies. And both machines are from the same manufacturer.

Appreciate the response I️ know watch, and subscribed to, your channel and you are correct about the Max and I️ love my Garretts, but it’s true. I️ really really want the Deus to be the winner because of the weight, but I️ don’t want to ‘’miss out” on the EQ if it’s everything I️ would want. I️ think the Deus would be a easier transition from my Max and F75.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the response I️ know watch, and subscribed to, your channel and you are correct about the Max and I️ love my Garretts, but it’s true. I️ really really want the Deus to be the winner because of the weight, but I️ don’t want to ‘’miss out” on the EQ if it’s everything I️ would want. I️ think the Deus would be a easier transition from my Max and F75.
Something in my gut tells me that it will not beat the Deus on recovery on land. That Deus is just to darn quick. I want to see a calabash digger side by side of silver and iron nails.

I want to see the Equinox with this test

36270557-26D8-4FAE-B4B3-7CBDFBE0080A.jpeg

The only thing I know that the Equinox will beat the Deus on will water submerged.

FF1322A6-F44C-492B-BA2C-D24C30283647.jpeg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soil ground balances at low 80’s so semi high
mineralization. Not to much iron at all just pull tabs, bottle-tops and can slaw. Looking for the deep silver more than gold.

Wait for the Equinox then and see if you can do a bake off between them, somehow. Or watch side-by-side videos. I know Calabash Digger will bake them off, but he is mainly trying to see how well it unmasks non-ferrous from iron. BTW - you need a magnetic iron oxide (Fe3O4) indicator like that which resides on your F75 to determine mineralization. It cannot be determined solely by ground phase reading.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I don't think it's going to be a my machine will be better than your machine kind of thing. All conditions are different. Everyone swings differently. Some go in the water, some don't. And I can still only swing one machine at a time. Whatever you do I 'd still try to demo a machine at the dealers or at a club before I buy one. Most of my machines I have tested and demo'd before I bought it and those were never problem machines, and well suited to the task.

THE PI machines were revolutionary for deep gold in metal free deserts. Then soon after, more than one company made PI machines. VLF machines back in the day were revolutionary, now everyone makes them. The Deus was revolutionary, now comes the Equinox. As Solomon said, there is nothing new under the sun. It will be interesting to see what happens 5 years from now.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it was more of the comparison between the fbs and Equinox. I want to find deep silver in those farm fields! It's all assumption until we see some real reviews or actually swing one in our own soil.

HighVDI-- Gotcha. I see what you are thinking.

I am interested to see whether that statement by Minelab is valid or not; I have an inkling that's the MARKETING team making that "comparison," and not the ENGINEERING team, if you catch my drift. The marketing department almost HAS to say that; it would be rather suicidal for future sales to say publicly -- even if it's true -- that the new machine will be deeper on high conductors than the CTX...

We shall see, once the machine is in our hands.

I don't necessarily expect the Equinox to "replace" the CTX; I see it as likely to be a great "complementary" machine. BUT, it would not surprise me at all if -- from purely a depth perspective -- it is shown over time once folks start using them, that the Equinox will hit silver coins just as deep as the CTX, coil for coil...

I just don't see how the engineers can succeed in their goal of achieving better ground handling -- i.e. reducing the effects of mineralization -- and that not having, as an obvious result, an improvement in depth capability. As I've said before, I think Minelab is walking a "fine line" here, in that the engineers have created something that the marketing team has to find a way to "fit in" to the current lineup of machines in an "appropriate" place. In other words, I'm not sure the price of, and the capability of, this machine "match" properly, from the perspective of allowing the machine to slide easily and appropriately into it's "mid-level" slot that the marketers want it to fit into...

Steve

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I️ really really want the Deus to be the winner because of the weight

Isn't the difference in weight between the Deus and the Equinox negligible?

Steve

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the difference in weight between the Deus and the Equinox negligible?

Steve

Depends on who youre talking to. IIRC the DEUS weigh 2 pounds and EQ is supposed to weight 2.9. I'm always good with a little more weight if it means better ergonomics and balance. Worked out great for the CTX compared to the E-Trac.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I️ was under the assumption that the deus was much lighter at 1.8 lbs. Maybe I’m wrong

I thought it was well under a pound of difference; Jason says .9 pounds of difference between the two -- and a quick check says he's right. I thought it was less than that (the difference between the two), so maybe a little more than "negligible."

Steve

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding Deus vs. Equinox Weight - you be the judge (I'm leaning towards Deus)

XP Deus Pic.jpg vs. Chevy Equinox.jpg

Seriously though, the Equinox weighs 30 percent more than the Deus. I've handled a prototype Equinox. Not negligible. 'Nox better than the AT Max? Oh, yeah.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I thought it was well under a pound of difference; Jason says .9 pounds of difference between the two -- and a quick check says he's right. I thought it was less than that (the difference between the two), so maybe a little more than "negligible."

Steve

I️ have the Max and the F75 but with the big coils and everything my shoulders are hurting at night so weight at this point is important to me. I️ detect a lot and I’m over the whole sling thing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I️ have the Max and the F75 but with the big coils and everything my shoulders are hurting at night so weight at this point is important to me. I️ detect a lot and I’m over the whole sling thing.
Use a harness, I can hunt from day break to dark with excal and no shoulder pain, now my legs and feet are a different story, for that thgere is ibuprofen.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use a harness, I can hunt from day break to dark with excal and no shoulder pain, now my legs and feet are a different story, for that thgere is ibuprofen.

I️ have the harness which I️ call a sling I️ just what the freedom to go light and it has power.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The price point of the Equinox is also attractive if it can hang with the heavy hitters IMO.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would imagine that Steve Herschbach is probably testing one, but, I haven't heard anything from him. As for the charging system.....my old electric toothbrush uses a similar charging system and has been working great for almost 20 years.

"electric toothbrush?" you snowflake

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes agree it does not recharge by using mangnets missed that when I posted about the recharging, their way of recharging is unsual and is not commonly used to recharge. Does not mean it will not work just very unusual.

I might add that inductance charging has been aaround for quite some time it just not that common of way of charging. Nikoa Tesla was the first to propose induction charging, It's just very unusual method and not sure at this point is something I want to use. Yes there are verious devices that use inductance charging just not sure that I'm ready to embrace with open arms.

My Android phone and my ancient Oral-B electric toothbrush both recharge by induction and I love it. Essentially its just transformer technology anyway, isn't it? (induction, as you say)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread