Dr Tones using Equinox at the beach (video)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve watched hundreds of videos of guys detecting in Hawaii and never once heard or complained of military EMI. If it was notorious in Hawaii and not one video I’ve ever seen, I’ve never heard a Detectorist talk about military EMI. This is new to me. Please explain more.
If there is a Coast Guard or naval stations or Naval ships there is EMI.

It isn't constant, it is there when stations are broadcasting to ships. It is bad in the Cape May NJ area, several Coast Guard stations there.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a consideration. Less of an issue when operating at HF. EMI is very site specific. Wish I never brought it up.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bashing bud, not me! I’ve just never heard of military EMI. Only military EMI I know of is called Extra Military Instruction when a soldier is out of line.

I assumed it means Electronic Military Interference ( but I never went to college)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's a good point in bringing it up. I was referring to the Coast Guard station at Indian River Inlet, Delaware and also the one at Ocean City, MD. I think the Ocean City one is 1/2 mile from the public use area at the south of the boardwalk, right near the inlet. So if their emi was a problem a lot of people would have a problem, and all that electricity buzzing around with the amusement rides, etc. None of my machines ever had a problem with EMI, including the ones back in the 80's. All were vlf.

Treasure Hunter, I detect directly across the bay at Lewes from Cape May. No problems there. I wonder how far it reaches.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Brandon, AKA “Dr Tones” is a spokes person for the Minelab treasure blog and has his own YouTube channel. I’ve watched many of his vids. Funny guy and I doubt he’s looking for charity. I agree it wasn’t the greatest test video but soon their will be lots to watch.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An honest response can seem like negativity. The video sucked in content compared to the title of it. Seems like he is after a charity go-pro from someone. Might just get it too. :)

a guy vacationing in hawaii wants a free gopro? confessor, please do not imply that Tnet members have bad motives

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I did remember one case of EMI, now that I thought about it. In Baltimore City, at a park, there was a huge electrical transformer on the ground buzzing and humming and I could hear it in the headphones at about 20 feet away, but could still detect. Thing was a little smaller than a Hugo.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cat buys me stuff on the Interwebs all the time.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Main sources of EMI for detectorists are typically overhead and undegrround power lines and your buddy's detector or cell phone or higher powered walkie talkie. "Invisible" Electric Dog fences can render a site practically undetectable as can some electrified cattle fences. Transformers boxes (especially if they have faulty insulation and shielding), as Smokey pointed out, will also cause issues. In dense, suburban and urban settings, you are subject to WiFi transmitters, fluorescents, microwave ovens, cell phone towers, and portable generators. As Treasure Hunter pointed out radar installations and high power over-the-horizon radio transmitters (both military and civilian) can cause issues intermittent and continuous depending upon the source (these are prevalent in Hawaii and was why I brought it up). How much is really unanswerable and is very site specific. It was a mistake for me to bring it up in the context that just because we could not hear it on the video means that Equinox was immune. To make that definitive of a statement there had to be a known source corroborated with a known receiver of the interference (say another "more susceptible" metal detector). So the logical leap, in this case, was false. But that also doesn't mean that detectors are not susceptible in Hawaii, but probably more so on Oahu where most of the military presence is resides. HTH helps. Sorry it caused a dust up.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's a good point in bringing it up. I was referring to the Coast Guard station at Indian River Inlet, Delaware and also the one at Ocean City, MD. I think the Ocean City one is 1/2 mile from the public use area at the south of the boardwalk, right near the inlet. So if their emi was a problem a lot of people would have a problem, and all that electricity buzzing around with the amusement rides, etc. None of my machines ever had a problem with EMI, including the ones back in the 80's. All were vlf.

Treasure Hunter, I detect directly across the bay at Lewes from Cape May. No problems there. I wonder how far it reaches.
I have talked to at least a half dozen people hunting there reporting interference, they even reported it to Minelab. As I said it is no t constant, it happens when they are broadcasting to ships at sea.

I've seen it from high power electrical lines, the tall tower lines that run through the city and county.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
After watching the video, my opinion is the volcanic, highly mineralized soil may be affecting the Equinox and causing the chatter. Not so much the EMI but really hard to tell without being able to hunt the area more than a few times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks,
Commercial aircraft, military aircraft, ships, and DOD bases have loads of emi emitters.
Not to mention all the likely hotels in the area.
Security systems, cell towers, etc.

It was just one short video.
Folks shouldn't be basing their purchase decision on this little video if they are still uncertain of the detector's performance or capabilities.
Might as well wait and let the general public use and post.
A trend will develop with time.

Pretty much common sense.

We shouldn't shoot the messengers.

I don't think Dr Tones could actually do a video using Equinox and satisfy all folks.
Just too many venues, and different soils, etc for one video to show all the positives and yes even the negatives.
And I don't know if Brandon indeed has a final production unit.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither my Deus nor the Cibola have a problem with any EMI except for that huge transformer sitting in the park in MD. And this year, I'm not renewing my park permit, so that one won't matter. Thirty five years ago, digging Brandywine battlefield in PA, I'd get a buzz on the old Lobo when a commercial jet went over heading for the Philly airport, but it was only momentary, and was not a problem.

Treasure Hunter, is it a brand specific problem? I don't have any other machines at the moment, but when I had the Whites and Garretts, they never gave me a problem. I just don't know. Some of the newer brands I haven't tried. Still can't figure out how to swing more than 1 at a time.

Tnsharpshooter, you are correct, no one should buy any machine based on a video seen on youtube or elsewhere.

I do watch some of the youtube videos. I would not buy a machine based on anybody's video. They are informative, but everyone's needs are different and not all machines are created equal, as all diggers and digging locations are not equal either. I really do like seeing the machine in action before I buy one. There are probably 8-10 different machines I have eliminated from buying instantly due to one thing or another after seeing them in action, from numerous manufacturers.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, I mistakenly thought he was on Oahu not the Big Island. But there is a relatively significant US Military presence in Hawaii including relatively large RF emitters. Glad you know better than me. Thanks for setting me straight.

Good, you need to stay. I shouldn't say (or rather type) this out loud, but.......OK, I look for your comments, always good, always informative. There, I said it, not going to say it again.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, man. Probably over reacted but just really surprised at all the negativity that was flying around in this thread. Brandon put an honest video out there, I though that took guts. He could have easily never posted it and people would be none the wiser. The only point I was trying to make is that when viewing these videos, sometimes folks need to look beyond the finds and pay attention to how the detector is behaving in that environment. That will sometimes tell you A LOT more than what the detectorists just happened to pass his coil over, junk and keepers alike.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What military EMI?? All it said was there used to be a practise base. There wouldn’t be any electrical interference from military hardware left in the ground. EMI is caused from a surrounding electrical current. Wires, underground cables, another detector near by. Unless the military left live electrical devises on the island which I doubt. So there would be no “military” EMI

I realise now what you were talking about after seeing the video again, the hand grenade sign Brandon showed. I wasn't referring to that (and hadn't even noticed it the first go around), just Hawaii and the military installations there in general.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to watch it again to see the unexploded ordnance sign. Overall, somebody's probably going to find a nice Go Pro! The hunt itself seemed pretty average. Machine seemed to work just fine. I like pocket spills. May go to the beach this weekend coming if it warms as expected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread