Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, indeed. Thanks, Jason.

Can't wait to see more detail, in Part 4.

Steve

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much for sharing. I can see one in my future..

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, indeed. Thanks, Jason.

Can't wait to see more detail, in Part 4.

Steve

Did you catch the part about Beach-2 mode using the lowest weighted frequency spread? That should make it the better silver hunting mode. I wish I KNEW where some super deep silver dimes were to test on. Really deep ones (10-12 inches) arent really common for me, most come in around 6 - 7. I may have to go the route of fresh plants for early testing.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy the fact that minelab depict the waveform. I'm slightly confused by the sensitivity shown on the left hand side of the diagram. Is it depicting higher sensitivity as more "intermingling" of the frequencies? Or am I just reading too much into it?

I am amused at the VERY different approaches to new releases that Nokta, Garret and Minelab have. Without wanting to be too rude I think Noktas approach was probably the worst ( the 2 year teaser was a bit much ). The AT max was second, what with the ad showing a guy detecting a surface find....

Minelabs approach seems much more measured and informative. I just hope that the detector lives up to it!

I do wonder who will be using the single frequency option though? Just prospectors?

Chub

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The more I read about the Equinox the more I am thinking I may have to get one have been using the XTERRA 705 for years now and love it but the one complaint I have always had about it is having to change coils to use a different frequency but I will hold off until they are out in the market for awhile to see all reviews on it

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy the fact that minelab depict the waveform. I'm slightly confused by the sensitivity shown on the left hand side of the diagram. Is it depicting higher sensitivity as more "intermingling" of the frequencies? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Chub

I think you are reading too much into it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you catch the part about Beach-2 mode using the lowest weighted frequency spread? That should make it the better silver hunting mode. I wish I KNEW where some super deep silver dimes were to test on. Really deep ones (10-12 inches) arent really common for me, most come in around 6 - 7. I may have to go the route of fresh plants for early testing.

A little concerned how this emphasis will affect its ability to detect small gold under wet beach conditions. Would have preferred to see a gold emphasis beach mode and a silver emphasis beach mode. Probably mutually exclusive somehow due to the effect of salt conductivity.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Minelab has announced is "late January" 2018 for the first shipments, so far and it looks like they stuck with that timeline at the Equinox Dealers' meeting today, saying that the first machines will ship the end of this month.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little concerned how this emphasis will affect its ability to detect small gold under wet beach conditions. Would have preferred to see a gold emphasis beach mode and a silver emphasis beach mode. Probably mutually exclusive somehow due to the effect of salt conductivity.

Yep, I think that's exactly it, vferrari. I don't think they wouldn't LIKE to have had a "high frequency" bias on one of the beach modes, so as to focus more on micro gold, I think the issue is indeed that the salt issue makes it tough; the lower frequencies are needed for stability, even though less sensitive to tiny gold. Obviously, on the dry, there will be options for finding tiny gold. But on the wet, and in the water, less sensitivity to the tiny stuff...

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I think that's exactly it, vferrari. I don't think they wouldn't LIKE to have had a "high frequency" bias on one of the beach modes, so as to focus more on micro gold, I think the issue is indeed that the salt issue makes it tough; the lower frequencies are needed for stability, even though less sensitive to tiny gold. Obviously, on the dry, there will be options for finding tiny gold. But on the wet, and in the water, less sensitivity to the tiny stuff...

Steve

Absolutely. Dry beach gold is not going to be a problem for this machine. As long as Minelab keeps the Equinox stable under wet salt conditions, that is half the battle and will at least give us a fighting chance to snag some gold.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason what's your honest opinion of what you know about the Equinox so far. I am leaning toward getting one but kind of waiting to hear what the 1st users think, however I do know than no one will knock it at 1st. I am hoping to get a unbiased opinion from someone doing a comparison with another good detector

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason what's your honest opinion of what you know about the Equinox so far. I am leaning toward getting one but kind of waiting to hear what the 1st users think, however I do know than no one will knock it at 1st. I am hoping to get a unbiased opinion from someone doing a comparison with another good detector

My honest opinion of what the Equinox will be, is the next step forward in detecting tech and abilities. Not the end-all-be-all, not a gigantic leap forward but one more step in target identification and soil separation from the target. Will it out-perform an E-Trac or CTX or DEUS? I don't know. I think it will beat almost any other hobby detector in certain aspects, but thats why you need to know the details of what and where you hunt. Even if it can't beat the CTX, but equals it with a huge weight savings, then I think it has it beat. All personal opinion though. I will be shooting head-to-head video as soon I get it (and the weather allows) and show exactly how it compares on real world targets

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have any of you guys read about the battery pack? I read on Minelab site that it is a sealed battery pack. I hope we will be able to buy an extra battery pack to use while out detecting. I haven’t read how long the battery pack will last before having to recharge.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you guys read about the battery pack? I read on Minelab site that it is a sealed battery pack. I hope we will be able to buy an extra battery pack to use while out detecting. I haven’t read how long the battery pack will last before having to recharge.

you need to spend some more time reading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread