Official Equinox product release and shipping update

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to include tests against the AT pro, Ace 250, F2 ect. 99 % or more of everything I've seen found ( dirtfishing ) on youtube videos would have been found using a mid grade detector.

You ship me a detector and I'll test it against the Equinox, otherwise my personal testing is limited to the detectors I own.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to be doing exactly this, but against my CTX detector.

I’m so looking forward to your head to head Jason. I’m looking for a very light submersible shallow water machine I can take to my local swimming holes and rivers. Currently I use the ATP with a 5x8 coil for my water hunting non beach. My CTX is a monster to swing underwater.

Here is my gut feeling what will happen when it goes up against the CTX

75822929-E764-464B-B71C-152E79AB83B5.jpeg

No way they are gonna make a detector that is going to replace and KILL their flagship/cash cow for 1/3 of the price.
They are clearly going after the mid price range market: Garrett, Makro and borderline on the fence XP Deus (folks looking for a light detector) The reason I mention XP Deus is because of the control panel design. All their previous controllers were square Equinox mimics the rectangular “portrait shape” of the Deus.

102BEDB3-5D16-43BB-B29D-23BB4BBC8724.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, you are absolutely correct. They are not going to kill their cash cow. Yes, they want an entry to the mid range competition. The earphones are not waterproof, from what I read. Is that correct? If so, that is a limiting factor. Now not for me as I don't go in the water. I've seen too many people come out and have to get on ambulances due to stepping on something horrible. Beaches around here are treacherous. The rip tides here on the Atlantic in some places are unreal.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Peter1972, a few months from now we will know regarding your question.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, you are absolutely correct. They are not going to kill their cash cow. Yes, they want an entry to the mid range competition. The earphones are not waterproof, from what I read. Is that correct? If so, that is a limiting factor. Now not for me as I don't go in the water. I've seen too many people come out and have to get on ambulances due to stepping on something horrible. Beaches around here are treacherous. The rip tides here on the Atlantic in some places are unreal.

I’m not that adventurous. We have many lakes and parks with swimming holes in the Pacific Northwest where I go chest deep and need to submerge the entire detector. It OK if the headphones are not 100% waterproof it’s the control module that’s that’s big factor. I carry a float and put my detector on it as I use my scoop to recover I don’t think I ever stuck my head and headphones fully under water. I’m not Nugget Noggin or Aquachiger that’s for sure..LOL

I wish that the Deus would come up with a REAL underwater solution then the Mickey Mouse solution with the antenna extension and the pouch to protect the control module they suggst now.(Maybe a Deus rep is reading this and can cut and paste this to take to their next R&D meeting)

Generic-Mickey-Mouse.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, I'm with you. I've got 4 rings, 2 silver and 2 gold in the last 4 weeks, and all have been in dirt. I have never had a year start like this. And if I remember right I only have one other "dirt" ring found before now.

I don't do the water, just don't like it. Monster live there. If you want to see something really crazy, snag a satellite image of the Indian River Inlet south of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. You can actually see the rip tides on some of the imagery. Parts of the old steel bridge got tossed in the ocean there after Sandy. Nasty place to go in the water.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, I'm with you. I've got 4 rings, 2 silver and 2 gold in the last 4 weeks, and all have been in dirt. I have never had a year start like this. And if I remember right I only have one other "dirt" ring found before now.

I don't do the water, just don't like it. Monster live there. If you want to see something really crazy, snag a satellite image of the Indian River Inlet south of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. You can actually see the rip tides on some of the imagery. Parts of the old steel bridge got tossed in the ocean there after Sandy. Nasty place to go in the water.

Yeah that does look scary. As I explored the area you suggested I came across something that would tempt me to go there

800829A2-2C2E-4675-ACF9-F2EE367318CB.jpeg

5E7DAE96-534A-4538-BDAD-C8F435029A4A.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to the north of that, up in your photo is the site of two shipwrecks, the Faithful Steward and the Three Brothers. They call it "coin beach" for good reason, but it hasn't been too good the last couple of years. No severe erosion.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to look at th Equinox manual.

If I want an Equinox looks like I need to buy yet another pair of water headphones....Goodie..ughhh
7EA402A9-626F-44ED-89B0-8E5C545CC2FC.jpeg
248CA5C4-1D48-4D49-A6F9-9E0BF4D67C20.jpeg

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to the north of that, up in your photo is the site of two shipwrecks, the Faithful Steward and the Three Brothers. They call it "coin beach" for good reason, but it hasn't been too good the last couple of years. No severe erosion.

We have something amazing here in the Pacific Northwest but it’s off limits.

The Graveyard of the Pacific is a stretch of the coastal region in the Pacific Northwest, from Tillamook Bay on the Oregon Coast northward to Cape Scott Provincial Park on Vancouver Island.[1] The unpredictable weather conditions and coast characteristics have caused a significant number of shipwrecks in this area.

The region's seas are frequently subject to heavy and unpredictable weather year round combined with the rugged rockbound coastline, especially along Vancouver Island and its northwestern tip at Cape Scott, causing sea conditions which, since European exploration of the area began in the 15th century, have endangered and wrecked thousands of marine vessels.

More than 2000 vessels and 700 lives have been lost near the Columbia Bar alone.(2 hours from my house)

View attachment 1544805

6F46D468-ACF7-4A38-935A-6B65A372FEF8.jpeg

Cool link of every shipwreck that went down origin and what was on board in the Pacific Graveyard

http://hikewct.com/index.php/shipwrecks

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is abundantly clear there is more stuff to buy from them if you indeed with the does it all package. Wonder how much the waterproof headphones are. My
grey ghosts were over $125 each. Same range?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this hole thing would u say that the new Equinox 800 is going to be better than the at max gold bug

Yes, better than those two detectors combined. Equinox much lighter than the AT Max and for one thing operates a 5 different frequencies simultaneously vs. the AT Max and Gold Bug at one each.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, better than those two detectors combined. Equinox much lighter than the AT Max and for one thing operates a 5 different frequencies simultaneously vs. the AT Max and Gold Bug at one each.

Although this is not the comparison subforum, will share this here. I wouldn't say Equinox is much lighter than At Max, just slightly or a tad lighter weight wise.

Manufacturers' specs has At Max coming in at 3.03 lbs
Equinox coming in at 2.96 lbs.

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_max_main_en.aspx
https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-800?view=faq

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although this is not the comparison subforum, will share this here. I wouldn't say Equinox is much lighter than At Max, just slightly or a tad lighter weight wise.

Manufacturers' specs has At Max coming in at 3.03 lbs
Equinox coming in at 2.96 lbs.

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_max_main_en.aspx
https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-800?view=faq

You are right, I should have said, better balanced based on swinging both (albeit briefly).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to swing an Equinox last fall. It was a little nose heavy with the stock coil. Don't know why they made it that way, I don't have any Garretts at the moment to compare it to.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I adjusted the length and got better balance but also would like to run it with the smaller 6 inch accessory coil too which would lower overall weight and improve balance. The Garrett's destroy my wrist with the CG of that huge control box cantilevered off the stem just in front of the handle. Not a fan. Good detector for a single frequency detector, though.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hugh, I got rid of my AT Pro for the same reason, it was somewhat unwieldy. My Tesoros and the Deus do not give me that problem. Even my heavyweight White's TDI was balanced better than the Equinox and the AT Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread