Equinox models 600/800 full instruction manual

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is the reason why.
Cost and if provided would have made packages more bulky.

Different countries have different power receptacle configs /voltage.
So having to include a charger with all adapters really when you think about not practical.
All the adapters that come with CTX I paid for, and will never ever use.

I beleive iPad mini charger will work.
Other common opens folks have already too.

That multi-country issue is easily solved with removeable plug plates. It is done all the time. Lack of charger, no big deal but just a strange decision by Minelab. Even if they figure you already have a billion lying around the house that doesn't stop cell phone manufacturers from including one in EVERY cell phone box. Minelab should be more up front about it and at least be self-aware by saying something smarmy like, "Hey, we know you don't need another wall wart cluttering up your house so we didn't bother giving you one. Aren't we great? Win Win!"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets say you are out detecting far away from any electricity so you need to charge the Minelab Equinox.
I can't find this any were for sale and i got it with the Tachyon video camera and have used it on car cameras and it works great.

I can carry the camera around for hours. View attachment 1544880 View attachment 1544881 View attachment 1544882 View attachment 1544883 View attachment 1544884

It has an on and off switch with a light to show it is on. So the Equinox battery is dead and you have this along and the USB charger cable along. Just hook it up and tie it to the bottom of the Equinox and your ready to go.

Steve Herschbach tried something similar and it didn't source enough current to charge the machine. You need a hefty 2A (1.5A minimum) lithium power bank to charge/power this sucker away from the wall wart.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at treasure_hunter's link to the Minelab website. A successful detectorist will get a coil cover, a smaller coil with cover to get in those tight spots which are infested with nails, TWO official Minelabs chargers (just in case one fails) a screen cover and an extra charging cable. Also, I would get a second set of headphones, but that's optional and I only wreck a set of headphones every year and a half or so. Best to have some on hand, maybe get that later in the spring. Stuff breaks.

I ALWAYS do that with all my machines, and have never been let down on account of having something break in the field. The utter frustration of taking the day off to detect, drive an hour and a half to a site, then get done over by a broken cable or such is not acceptable when it can be avoided. It's like taking extra batteries with you and an extra set of headphones. These things are a must for success. It's always best to have one extra coil on hand. The extra coil for my Deus was $425, our toys are not cheap. But I love it and it paid for itself (if you count that way) the 2nd day out with it.

And there is nothing sweeter than bailing out a buddy who didn't think out of the box and loaned him a set of Grey Ghosts when his headphones died in the field. Or handing out some batteries to the unprepared.

I also make it a point not to drive with no oil in the car or golf in a superstorm thunderstorm.

Anyone have prices on any of that stuff?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Smokey

That’s like having extra bullets and
A38EAF1B-46AB-4538-8937-4CD2DF28A2C4.jpeg
a piece on your ankle as a LEO

Agree with having backups always.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone needs to refer to page 5 of manual.
I don't think Minelab provides actual charging device with detector model packages.
The charging cable(s) provided with each of the packages cannot be plugged into house power by themselves.
So you will need a device for charging.
Refer to manual for actual requirements as well as charge time advantages depending on exactly the specs for the device you do use.

As I read, "Car & Wall charging accessories available for separate purchase", also, I'm not so fond of, "Battery replacement every few years by Authorized Service Center". Looked over the material, I hope any learning curve isn't too far over my tired old head.......

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be internal Lithium Ion batteries, they do go bad...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I went to Kellyco's website. The price is $899 plus shipping for the 800. Add in the extra coil and headphones, charger, cable(s) and small loop for a complete setup and you're at $1200 plus. A buddy here said the headphones are about $150, loops that much and more depending on which one you get. I think they used old loop technology, not a new type. Not 100% sure but I don't work for them.

Serious detectorists, and especially the hard headed ones like me never leave home without the proper equipment. That's one reason I don't come home empty handed. Well, we all knew Minelab sells expensive stuff. Jeez.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be internal Lithium Ion batteries, they do go bad...

True statement, however, I just haven't outlived a non-replaceable battery in either my phones or my detector (Deus) which uses no less than 3 batteries at a time (coil, remote, headphones, and an extra one if you count the xp pinpointer). Deus detector battery replacement out of warranty is about 50 bucks shipped and the detectors is back in your hands typically under a week after you ship it out based on my inquiries of users with older Deus. Batteries are lasting 5+ years so far without replacement. Using the XP cost and time frame of repair as a benchmark (I would think Minelab with their new service center in the States as being more responsive than XP due to their higher customer base), the $50 is more than I would spend on replaceable batteries in 5+ years and getting my detector back in a week is no biggie. Also, I will probably have moved on to Equinox II by the time the battery dies. The reason for the non-replaceable battery is not so Minelab can make battery replacement money. It simplifies and improves the watertight integrity and design of the detector. If you have lived through the various battery compartment o-ring/seal issues on a number of shallow water waterproof detectors, you know what I am talking about. But I feel strange convincing people that the non-replaceable battery is a non-issue if it keeps them from buying the detector. Of course I do not want you out their swinging an Equinox. I want those targets for myself.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I went to Kellyco's website. The price is $899 plus shipping for the 800. Add in the extra coil and headphones, charger, cable(s) and small loop for a complete setup and you're at $1200 plus. A buddy here said the headphones are about $150, loops that much and more depending on which one you get. I think they used old loop technology, not a new type. Not 100% sure but I don't work for them.I ha

Serious detectorists, and especially the hard headed ones like me never leave home without the proper equipment. That's one reason I don't come home empty handed. Well, we all knew Minelab sells expensive stuff. Jeez.

Smokey is right. When it is all said and done, you will most likely invest more into Equinox than the $899 if you want some accessories. True for just about any detector Especially, different coils (I have my eye set on the 6" sniper). But...

You only need non-supplied headphones if you plan on submerging yourself with the detector and will then need fully waterproof headphones as Smokey advises. The supplied headphones are probably weather resistant, so can handle a few rain drops or water splashes. If you are uncomfortable with that, and a pair of wireless bluetooth sports phones should be ok (but you will have to check and make sure they are not too laggy, most newer headsets won't be). APTX - LL is the lowest bluetooth latency designation, so get those if you want aftermarket headphones.

Not sure about the "old loop" technology, but a coil that works anywhere from 5 to 40 khz and provides "smart" coil handshaking to the detector can't be using tech that is too old (perhaps proven minelab multifrequency coil technology is more accurate).

Coil covers typically come with the stock supplied coils, but who knows in this case, can't tell from description.

Total above still well under Deus and well well under a CTX 3030

If you don't need a dedicated prospecting Gold mode, get the 600 at $650 but here are the other 800 features you will not get with the 600:

600 only does auto noise cancel, not auto and manual noise cancel like the 800 (latter allows some manual tweaking should you want to further reduce noise from a specific source at your site, like a wireless dog fence, perhaps)

600 does not have a dedicated "save" button that saves your custom settings for the mode you are in at the moment for instant recall, consider it like an extra custom program memory slot. Otherwise you get two save slots for each detecting mode for a total of 6 on the 600 (3 modes) and 8 on the 800 (4 modes) plus the instant save slot.

600 has limitations on customizing non-ferrous tone pitch and breakpoints and threshold pitch vs. the 800

600 has limitations in the overall range and degrees of adjustability on recovery speed (3 vs. 8 speeds) and iron bias adjustment (4 vs. 9 settings) which is used to reduce sensitivity of iron upscaling on large iron targets (iron wraparound).

Both detectors use combinations of five frequencies 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 khz during Mult IQ (the different way these 5 frequencies are combined are the secret sauce of Multi IQ and primarily define the different hunt modes). However, the 600 only allows you to select single frequency operation in 5, 10, and 15 khz. While the 800 allows you to pick any of the five for single frequency operation. Since the other three search modes use all 5 frequencies, it has been shown by the testers that you can certainly find gold nuggets and jewelry with variant custom setups of the first two modes (Park and Field).

HTH

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a discount from Kellyco if you are a veteran. It's with sending them your DD-214

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a discount from Kellyco if you are a veteran. It's with sending them your DD-214

I could be wrong, the discount is actually tied to Minelab.
So purchase a Minelab from any dealer and get your vet discount.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If anybody's dealer is charging them full price on ANYTHING, they are getting ripped off and need to find a new dealer!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I would do water hunting, I would get the waterproof headphones for any machine I use. Nothing like falling down and ruining headphones. Fortunately, I only normally fall down in rotted out tree stump holes I can't see in the fall. By now you can see them, they are not lying in wait, ready to pounce as the leaves have shriveled and the holes are visible.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I find it odd an Austrailian company would give US veterans a discount. If it is Kellyco, I would like more info but no one is getting to keep a copy of my DD-214, especially a random person at a detector store.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey is right. When it is all said and done, you will most likely invest more into Equinox than the $899 if you want some accessories. True for just about any detector Especially, different coils (I have my eye set on the 6" sniper). But...

You only need non-supplied headphones if you plan on submerging yourself with the detector and will then need fully waterproof headphones as Smokey advises. The supplied headphones are probably weather resistant, so can handle a few rain drops or water splashes. If you are uncomfortable with that, and a pair of wireless bluetooth sports phones should be ok (but you will have to check and make sure they are not too laggy, most newer headsets won't be). APTX - LL is the lowest bluetooth latency designation, so get those if you want aftermarket headphones.

Not sure about the "old loop" technology, but a coil that works anywhere from 5 to 40 khz and provides "smart" coil handshaking to the detector can't be using tech that is too old (perhaps proven minelab multifrequency coil technology is more accurate).

Coil covers typically come with the stock supplied coils, but who knows in this case, can't tell from description.

Total above still well under Deus and well well under a CTX 3030

If you don't need a dedicated prospecting Gold mode, get the 600 at $650 but here are the other 800 features you will not get with the 600:

600 only does auto noise cancel, not auto and manual noise cancel like the 800 (latter allows some manual tweaking should you want to further reduce noise from a specific source at your site, like a wireless dog fence, perhaps)

600 does not have a dedicated "save" button that saves your custom settings for the mode you are in at the moment for instant recall, consider it like an extra custom program memory slot. Otherwise you get two save slots for each detecting mode for a total of 6 on the 600 (3 modes) and 8 on the 800 (4 modes) plus the instant save slot.

600 has limitations on customizing non-ferrous tone pitch and breakpoints and threshold pitch vs. the 800

600 has limitations in the overall range and degrees of adjustability on recovery speed (3 vs. 8 speeds) and iron bias adjustment (4 vs. 9 settings) which is used to reduce sensitivity of iron upscaling on large iron targets (iron wraparound).

Both detectors use combinations of five frequencies 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 khz during Mult IQ (the different way these 5 frequencies are combined are the secret sauce of Multi IQ and primarily define the different hunt modes). However, the 600 only allows you to select single frequency operation in 5, 10, and 15 khz. While the 800 allows you to pick any of the five for single frequency operation. Since the other three search modes use all 5 frequencies, it has been shown by the testers that you can certainly find gold nuggets and jewelry with variant custom setups of the first two modes (Park and Field).

HTH

As always vferrari, really good infro. on your post. I did not know that the 600 operated on all 5 freq's. while in Multi, I thought only the three. I like that, and just what might be the advantage of different recovery speeds, slow, fast? I'm not clear on the why's and reasons for that. Reading the information for the EQ's, perhaps the 600 would be better suited for me. Smaller learning curve?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always vferrari, really good infro. on your post. I did not know that the 600 operated on all 5 freq's. while in Multi, I thought only the three. I like that, and just what might be the advantage of different recovery speeds, slow, fast? I'm not clear on the why's and reasons for that. Reading the information for the EQ's, perhaps the 600 would be better suited for me. Smaller learning curve?

Regarding the 5 frequencies used in Multi IQ for BOTH the 600 and 800, yeah that was news to me as that info was buried in some Minelab blog somewhere.

I think the 600 is just a great value overall, though if you look at the retail cost of the wireless audio accessories that are included with the 800 (the Bluetooth APT X low latency Wireless headphone which can simultaneously pair with the detector and your smart phone so you can take calls (though I will continue to use the I was out detecting and did not hear the phone excuse) and the WM08 module which lets go wireless by untethering your existing detecting phones from the detector itself - prices not yet published) it narrows the price gap somewhat. Note that you can use your own bluetooth headphones with the 600 if you want but since bluetooth headphone latency times vary, you will have to verify they don't cause too much audio lag.

I think the learning curve would be similar for both the 600 and 800, you just don't have gold mode to learn on the 600 since it doesn't exist. Gold mode has a different VCO like audio than the other three modes. Probably a rarely used mode for most because it is for prospecting or perhaps even relic hunting in highly mineralized soils. As far as gold jewelry or coins are concerned, the other three modes will suffice, even on the 600, because they utilize all 5 frequencies in Multi IQ mode as discussed above. The interface and menus are essentially the same and I suspect you can just go with the minelab mode default settings out of the box and have great success. I don't think the settings differences alter the learning curve that much. I think the learning curve would be less steep than the Deus, certainly less than the CTX and Whites V3i, I would imagine. Probably, like any other mid-range detector like the AT series or Fisher F70/75 series.

There is one thing I want to point out. Based on some very minor hardware differences (see below) it does not appear that there is a direct upgrade path from the 600 to the 800. In other words, don't expect to be able to flash 800 firmware on the 600 and buy some wireless phones and declare you have an 800. That just ain't gonna happen, officially. Don't know if someone would be able to "hack" the 600. Anything is possible nowadays in that regard, I guess. But it won't be exactly like the 800 (missing custom user profile button on the faceplate, for example).

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the first of March, we'll all get an idea of multi frequency is bread and butter, or bells and whistles. No way to tell right this minute. It's still all speculation. In the place we were in yesterday, a shovel and pinpointer won the day. THAT much 1" pieces of rotten ration cans.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello smokeythecat,

In the 600/800 user manual on page 29 (1st paragraph – “Single Frequency Ranges”) There is a mention of how the power is distributed to the frequency spectrum. I would like to know how the power is distributed among the 5 frequencies when in Multi-IQ mode. Is it 20% per frequency or is it weighted (more power %) depending on the mode selected. For example in Park mode 1 is the weighted power towards the lower frequencies - high conductors and Park mode 2 weighted in the higher frequencies for mid-conductors.

Sorry, just my Physicist brain thinking again.

GL & HH

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread