Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that was fast. Ordered it from Cabela's last Thursday. It said 4-7 business days. I said yeah right. Damn if they weren't telling the truth.

Got my tracking number earlier this evening. Checked the UPS website just now and it's in Illinois and is scheduled for delivery on the 16th.

I thought there was a waiting list a mile long for these things.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it is on the way, run the heck out of it and report what you find ok? Take care.
Will do. I'm planning on testing it alongside the Deus to see the strengths and weaknesses of each. Should prove to be interesting.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looked on the calendar. The 16th is Friday. Oh well. One more day won't hurt. (Thought it was thursday)

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
False advertisement! Lol. Congrats and can't wait to see more reviews.

I guess we know who got the mother load of the Equinox now.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, please take it into the wild and do a side by side. If you can real live test it in a place loaded with small iron, that will be the test I need to see. There is so much iron in the one place I dig, there would be 5 or more targets under that big coil at the same time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw it on Cabella's website. Just looked, they took the item(s) down. Must have sold out.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cabela's website has the 800 listed as being out of stock, currently. Last Thursday when I ordered mine, the status on the website said "In Stock Online". So I ordered it.

I figured I'd be put on a waiting list somewhere. Didn't reckon they had any in stock, because it says "Ships From Manufacturer" on the site.

So if anyone is looking to buy one, go and refresh their page a few times a day. If you see it say anything other than "Out of Stock", buy it immediately, because it means they have it and you'll get it in about a week.

Just letting people know.

And yes, I'll be swinging each target with both machines before I even dig. That way, I'll be able to tell signal strength, and if one machine fails to detect what the other can, I'll document that as well. I'll try to get it on video so y'all can see.

I also plan on hitting the beach to do a comparison there. Just bought the Stealth 920ix sand scoop, so I'll be looking to get that thing broken in very soon.

Also, for those of you who do a little prospecting, I'll be hitting these NH mountain streams soon to see what it can do on the fine gold. I know the Deus kills it. Hope the Equinox can keep up.

Man, the curiosity is just killing me right now. Love my Deus, but I have a feeling I might have me a second love here shortly. Stay tuned, folks. The best is yet to come...

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw it on Cabella's website. Just looked, they took the item(s) down. Must have sold out.
Yeah, I've been refreshing the page periodically. Was gonna sound the alarm if I saw it come back in stock. Hopefully they'll get it soon.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Equinox will be better in the salt water than the Deus. Deus wasn't designed for that. Now for a nail and Civil War ration can pit from hades, I think the Equinox will lose. That coil will have 5 targets under it at one time, maybe more and from the tones I heard, you'd go nuts trying to figure it out. Deus doesn't have that problem. I plan on posting my finds from yesterday and will post of a pic of the dreaded ration can pieces.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
laidback, your one of the lucky ones, i know there are waiting lists and arm long. Keeps us posted.
Yeah I know I am. And honestly, I feel a little bit guilty. But in all actuality, I figured it would take a month or more, and i was ok with that.

I guess one good thing about Cabela's is that they don't do preorders, so there's no waiting for 25 people to get theirs before you get yours.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Equinox will be better in the salt water than the Deus. Deus wasn't designed for that. Now for a nail and Civil War ration can pit from hades, I think the Equinox will lose. That coil will have 5 targets under it at one time, maybe more and from the tones I heard, you'd go nuts trying to figure it out. Deus doesn't have that problem. I plan on posting my finds from yesterday and will post of a pic of the dreaded ration can pieces.
Yeah, you could very well be right about that. And I'm not looking for a machine to replace my Deus, if it could even be done. Just looking for something to compliment it. I had been looking at the CTX 3030 for the longest time, as it seems to be a silver magnet at the park and it's great in saltwater. But if the Equinox can come close to that, then I will have found my Deus' partner.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already have two detectors, if the Equinox works well when Vferrari do a head to head test, I'll get one. For me, the wild undulation of the tones I've seen on the net will kill its use in my one Civil War sites, my best site. It would be uncontrollable, unless I missed something in the manual for the settings. I don't water hunt, too old and too chicken, and most cats don't especially like water:laughing7:

All told my best finds were with Tesoro Cibola's and the older style Tesoro Lobo. In a park these two wouldn't be my first choice, but hey, everybody needs to dig the mid tones to avoid missing the gold. HATE those aluminum screw caps!

I'll try to get the CW items here up in a bit. Still can't move from yesterday.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already have two detectors, if the Equinox works well when Vferrari do a head to head test, I'll get one. For me, the wild undulation of the tones I've seen on the net will kill its use in my one Civil War sites, my best site. It would be uncontrollable, unless I missed something in the manual for the settings. I don't water hunt, too old and too chicken, and most cats don't especially like water:laughing7:

All told my best finds were with Tesoro Cibola's and the older style Tesoro Lobo. In a park these two wouldn't be my first choice, but hey, everybody needs to dig the mid tones to avoid missing the gold. HATE those aluminum screw caps!

Man, if they ever made a detector that could positively ID screw caps and pulltabs, I would jump on that so fast... a fella could make a lot of money designing such a machine.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Smokey, I'm looking forward to seeing the pic's of your CW finds. Congrat's to you.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
laidback-4sho, Congrat's to you on the order of the new Equinox. Mayun, (correct pronunciation for down south here), you are right in that you are receiving yours soon. From what I have been reading from folks who have these on order, it sounded as if like you said it could take months to receive these. Here's wishing you the Best of Luck with your new MD. A lot of folks have been waiting to read reviews and see these units tested outdoors under real conditions by owners and not paid advertising. You already have a killer in the arsenal with the Deus and here's hoping the Equinox will be an equal match if not better.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the pics. The relics were found next to or close to the good View attachment IMG_0720.jpg View attachment IMG_0716.jpg View attachment IMG_0717.jpg View attachment IMG_0719.jpg View attachment IMG_0721.jpg View attachment IMG_0723.jpg pieces, some of the iron was found a dozen feet away. Second picture is an iron worm to a musket, fourth picture is a brass piece between two nails, fifth picture is left to right, three percussion caps, a hard to get find, 9 pieces of camp lead, porcelain button and eagle button. The last picture is the ration can pieces and if you look carefully a "nest" of nails in the middle of the picture. There are tens of thousands of these on this site.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the pics. The relics were found next to or close to the good View attachment 1550580 View attachment 1550581 View attachment 1550582 View attachment 1550583 View attachment 1550585 View attachment 1550586 pieces, some of the iron was found a dozen feet away. Second picture is an iron worm to a musket, fourth picture is a brass piece between two nails, fifth picture is left to right, three percussion caps, a hard to get find, 9 pieces of camp lead, porcelain button and eagle button. The last picture is the ration can pieces and if you look carefully a "nest" of nails in the middle of the picture. There are tens of thousands of these on this site.
Some killer finds for sure! It's sites like these that make the Deus such a pleasure to work with.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laidback4sho, you nailed it. Nails excluded. I do keep some of the better nails. Also fyi, I can tell a pulltab 90% of the time on my Deus. I dig SOME of them deliberately to test the accuracy of the machine, but it hasn't lied yet. Don't want the gold to escape.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread