Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The specs on Minelab web site says 1,2,5 and 50 tones...is that wrong? they don't show a 3 tone mode.

Still learning LD! You're right (Use the Minus (โ€“) and Plus (+) buttons to select thenumber of audio tones of 1, 2, 5 or 50.), I THINK I had it on 5. :dontknow::laughing7::occasion14:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry. If you get a chance to try the discrimination on pull tabs lets say beach mode 2 . Run the detector over a few different pull tabs and use the discrimination talked about on page 49 of the manual . Then take a few rings along to see if they are discriminated out. I would not think all gold rings would be discriminated out.
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-1 Inst. Manual, EQUINOX 600 800 EN.pdf

I'll do this when I put the video together - Thanks!:occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it's time to sell the Excalibur and get a equinox! I like what I am reading thus far.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a great VDI chart put together by a fellow on one of the Gold Prospecting forums I belong to:

Attachments

• bgt.jpg
    bgt.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 661

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those numbers make some interesting reading, I see the bottle cap crown and the 14k ring are next door to each other, do you think with time I will be possible to tell the difference with between the two with a slight crackle in the tone like our pi machines do on rusty iron?

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those numbers make some interesting reading, I see the bottle cap crown and the 14k ring are next door to each other, do you think with time I will be possible to tell the difference with between the two with a slight crackle in the tone like our pi machines do on rusty iron?

No, not in that way, but with 50-tones, and lots of ways to discriminate, I think I have a chance! :skullflag:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the EQ series seems so far like a "dig it all" detector for beach/water use. I can hardly wait to give it a swing and see if I can discriminate bottle caps at least. When using my CTX I am 90% sure when I swing over one.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the EQ series seems so far like a "dig it all" detector for beach/water use. I can hardly wait to give it a swing and see if I can discriminate bottle caps at least. When using my CTX I am 90% sure when I swing over one.

Don't have an Equinox yet, but I am hopeful, as Terry says, in 50 tones the audio will tell the story and help the brain discriminate treasure from trash. This is how it is done with the Deus. While I hope this to be the case, personally, it is a good start just to have an affordable machine that can remain stable in moving salt water such that I can even hear the bottle caps in the first place. That means I can hear the treasure too. So if that means "dig it all" or "dig most" that's better than the alternative of "dig false phantoms".

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still learning LD! You're right (Use the Minus (โ€“) and Plus (+) buttons to select thenumber of audio tones of 1, 2, 5 or 50.), I THINK I had it on 5. :dontknow::laughing7::occasion14:
Thanks Terry...trying to learn all I can before I get one...I haven't seen anything yet to make me not want it...heck, just you saying your Shark might become a back up has got me all giddy about the Equinox.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 tones. As old as this cat's getting I think I'd forget quickly which one was which.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, with my CZ I can swing back and forth over a crown cap and pull the coil back and the last signal I get will be iron tone...use the same technique with my AT Pro on land...80 to 90% accuracy...Ill dig one of those signals every now and then to prove to myself what it is...crown cap every time.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most of the time at the beach, it's just faster and easier to scoop the bottle cap than to take the time to deliberate over whether it's actually a cap or not. Plus, you get it out of the way in case it's masking something underneath. Doesn't hurt to clean the beach a bit either.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed "foil drink lid" as 5 on the chart. I can't even tell you HOW HAPPY this makes me.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Terry just out of curiosity, are you using threshold or silent search, just wondering if there's any point to the threshold with this beast.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three-tone is my favorite. In the water there is a lot less trash as you know, so I'm not sure 50 would be any better than 3. With that said, the 50-tone may be the secret to discriminating out pull-tabs! :icon_thumright:

Of course I've not used the EQ yet, but so far it SOUNDS similar to the Safari in the tone aspect. The multitude of tones to the Safari did take some getting use to, and with pull-tabs, the VDI #'s and tones combined, a pull-tab, nickel, lead sinker and gold rings, will pretty much all fall in the 13 to 15 range for VDI (of course that's not carved in stone) but the tone "pitch" is different, with the pull-tabs being high pitched, and let's say nickel's being mid to high mid tone. Most always the high tone for those VDI #'s are in fact a pull tab, and I have dug ton's of them, but it can still be "iffy" given different shapes & sizes of the tabs, as well as the different sizes and thickness of gold rings etc. I might like the 5 tone option though, it is up to the operator though, and it is one more option that would be nice to have and try. As far as the chart for platinum at 7 to 9, IF the two machines are somewhat alike, then I've always missed it. Unless as you fella's point out, on a beach with a sand scoop, I dig it all, if nothing else than to clean up the nasty stuff. I look forward to more post from Terry on the EQ, respected guy on the Forum.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry just out of curiosity, are you using threshold or silent search, just wondering if there's any point to the threshold with this beast.

The only time I would use the threshold is nugget shooting. I have the 600, so I won't be using the threshold. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread