JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Folks, I got my 800 on Monday and have done a little testing. I haven't Hunted a official hunt yet but I have played in the yard as well as put a little time in the test garden.

My Initial thoughts on the Headphones are that they sound great and have zero static:icon_thumright: But I am a feller with decent sized ears and these headphones are small as far as the ear cup. I have a feeling these will be making hot spots on my ears on a full days hunt. They more or less your ear fits inside the cup vs fitting over or surrounding the ear like most. They fit snugly for me that's for sure. I have a feeling I will not be the only one who thinks they are just too small.

Looking at the technology of the Equinox it looks like we may have Good options in terms of connectivity. Has anyone heard yet if any Bluetooth aptX low latency head phones will work?

If you have heard of any that may work post up here, Now or in the future. My goal is to try a couple different sets out and see if anything else will work.

Here are a few pictures comparing the new Equinox headphones compared to the Deteknix Deus headphones. I love the Deteknix as they don't squeeze my head and are very free around the ear.

Attachments

• Bluetooth.PNG
    Bluetooth.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 181
  • small4.jpg
    small4.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Small1.jpg
    Small1.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 177
  • small3.jpg
    small3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 194
  • small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhhh thanks for posting this. I almost changed my order to an 800 because I wanted the headphones, but after seeing them now, I don't.

I need full coverage for comfort : D

I'll save and wait for a pair of grey ghosts, or the waterproof equinox headphones if they are a bit larger.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet:) Don't forget about the wireless module the 800 comes with though. you can run your headphones wirelessly I am pretty sure with that adapter. Reduce a 1/4" to 1/8". As well as the 5 frequencies. Both I am sure will be great machines though.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can you get the waterproof phones?

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No where yet lookingdown. Soon hopefully from Minelab or other suppliers

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grey Ghost headphones are the most comfortable set of headphones that have ever adorned my gourd. I have had a set of the GG Original headphones for about 5 years now. They are most comfortable and can be worn for long periods of time without causing fatigue. They are quality made and will hold up. When mine finally crash, if I'm still around I'll most likely be placing an order for a new set of GG. Best of Luck to you with the new Equinox and for your search of headphones. Remember: once you go Grey Ghost, you'll realize they are Better than Most!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with devldog, I have Greyghost for a X-Terra, Safari, and a waterproof set for the AT. For land use I really don't have a problem with "corded" phones, and I'm thinking that with a adapter jack, using a set with the 800 IF possible.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No where yet lookingdown. Soon hopefully from Minelab or other suppliers
Thanks...if I get one I will put the waterproof phones on and they will never come off...its going to be my saltwater machine.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The headphones on my CTX only come off once a month to ensure the connection is clean then I reseal with dielectric grease.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Important information...Thank You for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted about 4 hrs today and the Headpnoes weren't bad on my Big ole ears!!:icon_thumleft: Sound is perfect with no static. Liking them so far:laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks...if I get one I will put the waterproof phones on and they will never come off...its going to be my saltwater machine.

Waterproof EQUINOX Headphones | Part No. 3011-0372Waterproof headphones with 3.5 mm (1/8-inch) EQUINOX connector. They can also be connected to a WM 08 Wireless Audio Module.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterproof EQUINOX Headphones | Part No. 3011-0372Waterproof headphones with 3.5 mm (1/8-inch) EQUINOX connector. They can also be connected to a WM 08 Wireless Audio Module.

Yep, the manual which is available online (and linked elsewhere on this forum) contains a list of all the accessories for the Equinox. Unfortunately, the Minelab page that lists the accessories has mysteriously gone dark for about a week now and there has been absolutely no announcement on price or availability timeline for the accessories.

The adapter above that AngerManagement made is sweet. Since the WM08 is not waterproof, I am thinking of a kludge setup where I put the WM08 module in one of those waterproof cell phone bags that has a short mini-connector pigtail within the bag that I can hook to the WM08 and then you can hook a pair of waterproof earbuds or headphones to the waterproof mini-jack that exits the bag. The main drawback to this approach is that if the control box is continuously submerged (say in chest deep water) then the wireless rf signal cannot get to the WM08 module. The best overall solution is the EQUINOX compatible OEM headphones (whenever they show up) or a WP adapter like AngerM's that allows you to marry the CTX or other WP phones (available now) to the EQ.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about using a Deus control box as a "stand-in" for the WM08.

20180218_092431 1.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........ I am thinking of a kludge setup where I put the WM08 module in one of those waterproof cell phone bags that has a short mini-connector pigtail within the bag that I can hook to the WM08 and then you can hook a pair of waterproof earbuds or headphones to the waterproof mini-jack that exits the bag.

That would be a great work-around until true WP phones come about. You would be limited to about 3 feet deep water without submerging the control head and losing the BT signal, but you could get out into it. At least you could be in the surf without fear of rogue waves or drops.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a pic of my modded EQ to CTX adapter. Not completely finished with it yet due to no EQ in my possesion yet 20180218_092506.jpg

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm wondering if it's posssible to use the wireless Deteknix headphones (that i already have, one with the small plug) on the Minelab Equinox 600 or do you need a special connector for it ?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm wondering if it's posssible to use the wireless Deteknix headphones (that i already have, one with the small plug) on the Minelab Equinox 600 or do you need a special connector for it ?

You probably can but mounting the transmitter on the Equinox might be awkward. Instead, just get an inexpensive set if APTX LL BT headphones (anywhere from $30 to $50US). You could even try a set of regular ver 4.X BT (bluetooth) headphones or APT X BT headphones (i.e., non-LL or non low latency rated) you may have lying around to see if the lag makes a difference.

WM08 module has the least lag (not supplied with the 600) (<< 40ms)

APT X LL BT has the next least lag (~40ms) (LL = low latency) followed by...

APT X BT (~ 180ms) followed by...

Ver 4.x BT @ ~250 ms

Last edited:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for useful information. By the way, looking awkward is no problem for me. My nr.1 detector is still the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq . People looking at me all the time as if i'm using equipment from the stone ages when i use the Lobo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread