2/14/18 Minelab Equinox 800 initial thoughts.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Up front: I have owned two E-tacs and two ctx 3030s.

I have to say my excitement level was through the roof by the time I got to my parents house to pick up the Nox. However, I got roped into watching a movie with mom(she misses me lol) so by the time it was all said and done, it was around 11 pm by the time I did the unboxing and a few tests.These are my honest thoughts. Some are negative, some are positive.

Packaging was great. Everything was neat and nicely packed.

The feel of the machine will take a bit getting used to. Someone said the Nox is nose heavy, I agree however it also feels like it pulls you in the direction you swing(like swinging a bowling ball, not heavy, but it pulls you)

The material it was made of seemed less than Minelab standards, but that could be me. Some of the plastic parts felt like recycled plastic(stiff and rigid) like if you dropped it on pavement it would break easy. The lower shaft(made of plastic) worries me a bit as in a good whack may cause it to snap.

The design is really nice. The control housing, charging system, button layout, interface, weight all feel great. Whoever designed it really put some thought into it.

Machine complexity is fine. if you are a beginner, just turn on and go. However, if you are advanced user, be prepared for a slightly steep learning curve as some settings work both with and against each other. I like a steep learning curve.

Charging time. The battery was empty when i got it, so I charged it using a quick charger and had a 2/3 full battery in an hour(thats real good).

Operation. Each of the modes are completely different(which is fantastic). Like park one and park two. They both react to the same test differently.

Performance. I did a few videos on this and will be getting them out in the next few days or so. I will say this, the results were not what was expected, however, they will only get better the longer you use the machine.

Overall. I am pretty excited to get this out in the field for some tests and actual hunting. Despite some of the short comings listed above, I know this machine will be a keeper for me.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks b3y0nd3r! That was a nice, objective first impressions. Appreciate the time you took to post your thoughts.
Best of luck!

Stilllookin Dave

Aug 2, 2017
North Central,Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,
Tesoro Vaquero,
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Teknetics Omega 8500,
Minelab Safari,
Minelab Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you! I'm looking forwards to some field reports also. I'm on several waiting lists for an 800 myself.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its apples and oranges.... but how does it feel against the impact?

chub

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
I know its apples and oranges.... but how does it feel against the impact?

chub

Great question! i will be comparing both the Impact and the CTX when I am more familiar with the Nox to give the Nox a fair shake. Soon.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone else said the CTX felt cheap to the NOX build wise.
I guess we are still in the honeymoon phase for awhile yet.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This nose heavy thing has me turned off. The E-trac killed my arm! How does the balance compare to the E-trac?

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
This nose heavy thing has me turned off. The E-trac killed my arm! How does the balance compare to the E-trac?

The Etrac is solid feeling, but, it is heavy compared to the Nox(When I say heavy I am meaning weight, balance etc). The nose heavy Nox will just take time to get used to.

UnQle Rob

Oct 14, 2015
Parts Unknown, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Infinium
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detecnik Pin Pointer
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comments on pinpointing. Does it pinpoint nose, center, or heel of the coil?

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Comments on pinpointing. Does it pinpoint nose, center, or heel of the coil?

When I get outside I will do some pinpointing tests(hopefully today).

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beyonder - you said the lower shaft was plastic. I thought it was supposed to be carbon fiber, its not?

Also, how is the weight and balance compared to the Impact?

Looking forward to your tests and experiences. Thanks.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lower shaft on Equinox is plastic not Carbon fiber

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Todd. Dunno where I got that from. Equinox fever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions