Equinox owner Request, length when collapsed?

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bueller??? haha I can always wait till spring and find out when I buy one too lol

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great question! There's not a lot of mass to the detector, and that's a question that popped in my head when I was looking at pictures. I plan on traveling to a beach locale this year and would like to know how small it can go ��

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats effing huge! What is the longest single component when its disassembeled?

Looking at the users manual it has 3 shafts, upper, middle, lower. I would venture to guess the lower shaft is the longest if the coil is attached & flipped up... probably 20” or so? Just a guess?

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
longest part disassembled is 24-1/4 inches.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There wss a video posted earlier of a couple at the beach. They had two completely disassembled Equinoxes in a large backpack. Complete assembly, including coil re-attachment took all of 2 minutes on the dot. FWIW.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone elsewhere mentioned the longest rod was a tallman rod and cut a couple inches off. I'll probably do the same since I am not particularly tall and I like to be stealthy with a backpack. That or squeeze it in a bat bag like my current detector.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow-up to my post above. The rod I saw someone cut elsewhere must have been off a prototype because mine is much different. On the longest rod (24" lower-rod), I can trim only 3/4 of an inch. I could go a bit more, perhaps 1 inch, but it looks like I would be risking stability of the pole. So I am leaving it alone. Not worth trimming 3/4". I'm hoping that Minelab will offer shorter lower and middle rods, because I am 5'10" and I have the lower rod 4 clicks (almost halfway) up the middle pole. There could be some room to make this thing slightly more collapsible if you are not a giant. I really want to squeeze this thing into a backpack! Or, at the very least, be able to fit the lower/middle rod, with coil attached and wound, into a backpack.

Edit: I just realized the flaw in my thinking. The lower rod probably cannot be shortened because it would place the spring loaded tab too close to the coil, which could interfere with the coil. Soooooo, looking at the control box section, there is approximately 4" that could be trimmed off the back if you are my size/forearm size and were to slide the control box up an inch.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm will have to check it out when mine arrives. Should be here by September hahaha

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without modifying anything, I am very happy with this setup:

39" "Nike MVP Edge Bat Bag"

It Holds everything I could possibly need and fits the lower/middle rod (assembled and coiled) comfortably, so all I need to do it click it in and screw the cable, less than 15 seconds to assemble/take down:

Bat-Bag-2.jpg

It also has a separate zipper and section for a bat, which just happens to fit my 31" T-Handle Lesche perfectly and keeps the dirty shovel separate from the detector and other gear:

Bat-Bag-3.jpg

Completely machine washable, and non-threatening sports bag (I used to use a gun bag years ago, but forget about that these days). All zipped up:

Bat-Bag-1.jpg

Got it on sale for $19.99 on a major sports store.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea that would be the way to go. I would probably get a brighter colored one though. I hunt in a lot of wooded areas that sometimes coincides with hunting season. I also had a cop stop me and say someone called me in for poaching haha oh well

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro