*Minelab Equinox 800 air tests

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for doing the test. My humble opinion, many rag on "air tests" as not valid, I disagree. I believer all tests, air and in ground have their place. True, an air test only tests a few parameters, but important ones. In my opinion, air tests are one of the few tests that are truly scientific, repeatable among all users and eliminate variables (assuming we all use the same method, settings and eliminate interference). In ground tests are the least repeatable and introduce so many variables (moisture, soil composition, mineralization, density, etc). A guy on the East coast could do an in ground test, hit a quarter at 12" and then a guy in Northern Minnesota due to high mineralization, may try the same test and only hit that quarter at 7!! I've personally never watched several air tests of a detector that just sucked arse and then everyone went out and was hitting massive depths. Watch some Dues or CTX3030 air tests and you see their air tests produce excellent results and that correlates with their infield depths. Ok, putting my soap box back under the bed...

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, what was most interesting was the 5Khz vs 15Khz. I was surprised the 15khz hit farther then the 5khz on the quarter and dime.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Also, what was most interesting was the 5Khz vs 15Khz. I was surprised the 15khz hit farther then the 5khz on the quarter and dime.

Great catch but here is what I think. There was a ton of EMI down there as you can hear. When I switched to 15khz, the EMI cleared right up. If I were to do the same test in the woods with no EMI, what results would I get? :)

Thanks for watching!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other question, looking at the left side of the Equinox screen, a 1/4 of the band is not lit up, is that discrimination notched out?

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
One other question, looking at the left side of the Equinox screen, a 1/4 of the band is not lit up, is that discrimination notched out?

Correct this was an unmodified "Park 0ne" with the normal discrimination pattern. Also check out the depth reading(shovel icon). Each shovel is two inches. The TID depth is right on the money!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct this was an unmodified "Park 0ne" with the normal discrimination pattern. Also check out the depth reading(shovel icon). Each shovel is two inches. The TID depth is right on the money!

Will it go deeper with no discrimination notched out (maybe I missed it in the video)?

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Will it go deeper with no discrimination notched out (maybe I missed it in the video)?

Open screen will help with separation, not depth. However, target ID at depth will move more toward the iron range. An example of this would be a deep $1 gold coin reading as iron.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice test, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread