Equinox vs all other minelab detectors

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It isn't about "stacking up" against these other machines. The Equinox, is a completely NEW idea, of giving the user a true "All Around" machine, offering you the ability - with one machine - to hunt land and sea, coins and gold nuggets. The Equinox 600, allows me to take ONE detector to the beach, instead of taking my Sand Shark for wet work, and my Cibola for the dry sand.

Does it replace the Etrac, or CTX 3030? Personally I don't think so. It does however offer an alternative for a lot less money. I think it will replace the Excalibur as time goes on though. :skullflag:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Terry said, mostly apples and oranges. I think one thing that Equinox brings to the table is multifrequency with high speed. CTX and eTrac are great deep silver machines as long as you are not in REAL thick iron [note that this is based of specs and Equinox is still being vetted by real users SO as usual, YMMV]. Equinox brings the responsiveness of fast recovery speed with the power of multifrequency to give deeper target ID stability and the smarts to process the multifrequency signal in different ways to favor different targets and site conditions, including high mineralization and thick trash and iron. That flexibility at a relatively affordable price point makes it a great all around detector while leaving room for specialized detectors for very focused targets. Time will tell regarding how much the Equinox overlaps the various other VLF detectors in the Minelab lineup. There will still be areas not covered by the Equinox, but we won't know what those are for awhile and whether it makes practical sense to fill those gaps with the CTX's etc. Regarding Excal, the one thing Excal still brings to the table is its ability to be used at signficant water depths (100 FT) as a diving machine, the Equinox of course is limited to 3M. Not something the average beachcomber like Terry (lol) does. [Sorry, Sir Terry, couldn't resist :laughing7:].

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Terry said, mostly apples and oranges. I think one thing that Equinox brings to the table is multifrequency with high speed. CTX and eTrac are great deep silver machines as long as you are not in REAL thick iron [note that this is based of specs and Equinox is still being vetted by real users SO as usual, YMMV]. Equinox brings the responsiveness of fast recovery speed with the power of multifrequency to give deeper target ID stability and the smarts to process the multifrequency signal in different ways to favor different targets and site conditions, including high mineralization and thick trash and iron. That flexibility at a relatively affordable price point makes it a great all around detector while leaving room for specialized detectors for very focused targets. Time will tell regarding how much the Equinox overlaps the various other VLF detectors in the Minelab lineup. There will still be areas not covered by the Equinox, but we won't know what those are for awhile and whether it makes practical sense to fill those gaps with the CTX's etc. Regarding Excal, the one thing Excal still brings to the table is its ability to be used at signficant water depths (100 FT) as a diving machine, the Equinox of course is limited to 3M. Not something the average beachcomber like Terry (lol) does. [Sorry, Sir Terry, couldn't resist :laughing7:].

Assuming their sales claims are true. I am looking at perhaps buying one, and a new Tesoro this spring. It is still untested by us "little people" but I would think in the next few weeks, when some folks have had the chance to learn them and use them, we'll know if it is better than the competition, similar to the competition or for a lot of folks, just a sideways move for more flexibility or for a special use like salt water, which it seems it will excel in. I don't think Minelab would put something out that would sabotage their product line. They may retire some machines in the near future, that would be normal. Most companies do.

Now please don't get me wrong, but right now we have a few videos out there by people who just got the machines, who haven't had the chance to learn them yet and not much else but sales literature, and the Detectival videos of course. I am sure it will be a good machine. Minelab makes good machines. Will it live up to the manufacturer's claims? I do not know. People are all hyped up about it, for sure. And getting emotional over a metal detector isn't productive. As to your original question, I sincerely doubt a $900 machine will replace a $2500 CTX 3030. As Vferrari says, it's apples and oranges, and he is absolutely correct the Excal will go 100 feet deep. These won't. I really want to see some real life experiences in the dirt with them. I hope by mid week that wish will come true.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It isn't about "stacking up" against these other machines. The Equinox, is a completely NEW idea, of giving the user a true "All Around" machine, offering you the ability - with one machine - to hunt land and sea, coins and gold nuggets. The Equinox 600, allows me to take ONE detector to the beach, instead of taking my Sand Shark for wet work, and my Cibola for the dry sand.

Does it replace the Etrac, or CTX 3030? Personally I don't think so. It does however offer an alternative for a lot less money. I think it will replace the Excalibur as time goes on though. :skullflag:

hence Terry, I hope you sell me your sand shark for a good price!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry folks, you're too late!!! I got PM's as soon as I posted I was replacing them. :dontknow::skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course you may regret it. On the other hand, I already have too many machines, sometimes I just get bored and want a new toy.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The Equinox looks like its going to be a great overall machine. Will it go as deep in salt water as a PI, an excalibur or a CZ21,,,I doubt it. Sometimes excessive hype can create exagerated expectations. You will still be digging a lot of trash to find the good stuff. Somethings don’t change. Knowing this I am going to order the 600. The fact that its light, versatile and has a good display is enough for me. I don’t expect a miracle machine. Just a great overall machine.

Attachments

• mjycm-8FY1EB2894F-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1502723490229._RI_SX940_.jpg
    mjycm-8FY1EB2894F-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1502723490229._RI_SX940_.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess buying one early wasn't too much of a gamble since you could probably sell one at this moment for more than was paid.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there is no wait, I bought a Vaquero this morning. I'll see the Equinox in action in late March. Which is toward the end of our farm digging season around here. Oh well. I wish our beaches had a gentle slope to them!

Last edited:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I want to see how it compares with the big boys too. If it is even close to finding deep targets like an etrac or ctx, I would be pleased.

Someone will do head to heads of these machines. Just cause they can.........

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see how it compares with the big boys too. If it is even close to finding deep targets like an etrac or ctx, I would be pleased.

Someone will do head to heads of these machines. Just cause they can.........
I have the Ctx I just wanna see how they compare without going into all the crazy details...does it get similar depth? Does it discriminate well? just simple answers it would be nice to just have a turn on and go type of machine that still performs really well

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I the only one who thinks these beautiful ladies are way too hot for these these guys?

9DEBCB3B-5CF1-4691-8CCD-E2760A5B846D.jpeg

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox looks like its going to be a great overall machine. Will it go as deep in salt water as a PI, an excalibur or a CZ21,,,I doubt it. Sometimes excessive hype can create exagerated expectations. You will still be digging a lot of trash to find the good stuff. Somethings don’t change. Knowing this I am going to order the 600. The fact that its light, versatile and has a good display is enough for me. I don’t expect a miracle machine. Just a great overall machine.

I had been using a CZ21 in the water and wet sand, and an AT Pro in the dry sand. The equinox will replace both of those machines, I am confident it will be better just based on it's technical specs. CZ21 will become a backup machine or diving machine. I sold the AT pro to make my pre-order and have been using my CZ21 to hunt the dry sand. My arm is going to be very happy when the new machine arrives.

600 is a good choice for beach hunting. The adjustable tone breaks and volumes on the 800 are nice, but on the beach you are digging just about everything above iron so in reality they are not as useful as they first seem. Money better spent on waterproof headphones I think.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
RustGold: To back up your point. She just looks different standing next to Ralph in a Brooklyn tenement building.
Audrey Meadows. AKA Alice

honeymooners-audrey-meadows-02.jpg

Oh yeah, about the Equnox.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flgliderpilot, yes the weight issue has always been there with Minelab. You should be great with the Eq.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've ordered an 800 and I'm going to sell my excal.. May be a mistake but wiring repairs have cost me about 600 dollars thus far. Only under warranty one time.
The excal has paid for itself though.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birdman, sell you Excal in 6 months. Two different uses there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread