Keep seeing these type of tests

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one thing is this quote "Keep in Mind that this is an Air Test and Air Tests are inconclusive and do not reflect in ground performance" (Implying In ground tests are conclusive) One of my pet peeves, as it should read "Both Air Tests and In Ground tests are inconclusive and may not reflect YOUR in ground performance". I have found in ground tests are actually less repeatable from user to user then are air tests. Soil mineralization, soil composition, soil density, soil moisture all play a vital role in what results you will see in ground. I can't tell you how many videos I've watched where someone has had decent tones and vdi readings on a 12" deep quarter and then I go to my highly mineralized soil and can barely pick up a grunt on the same quarter only 7" deep with iron numbers reading on the display. Both air and ground have their place and take both with a grain of salt...

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of my problem with air tests like the one shown (other than the obvious.....no ground conditions) is that all the targets are on a single plane. Most of the time in the wild, multiple targets are at different depths.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's something that he shows near the end that proves his test is fatally flawed. It seems no one picks up on it even though it's obvious, and that's because he interprets it, and passes it off as a positive. I don't typically watch air test videos but this one sent me looking for some actual hunting, and the one I found was not favorable to my ears.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What bugs me are people making videos that have had the machine LESS THAN A WEEK!

Want to make yourself look dumb? Easy way to do it! :coffee2:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you watch near the end he very clearly makes the point how the detector is hitting all 3 targets, the two nails and coin. So if you back up to the testing portion, when he places the 2 nails beside the ring or coin and sees the targets in park 2, it's not because the detector is seeing past the nails, it's because it's seeing everything!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk out into a place you have already hunted to death... turn the new machine on... and let it rip...

That's my motto for testing a detector...

This dropping crapola with a string attached...

Burying in milk jugs or pvc filled stuff and what have you is a mythical creature someone concocted up to try and "fool" / "test" the limits / capabilities of a detector.

When in fact the only true test is...

TO DIG ! ! !

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Walk out into a place you have already hunted to death... turn the new machine on... and let it rip...

That's my motto for testing a detector...
A lot of the guys running the Deus are doing just that ...and finding more...i am.
Nothing i`v seen yet makes me want to rush to buy the Equinox.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talk reallll sweet to my detector... I whisper sweet nothings into its hadphones...

And if right after... I get a beep...

And its trash....

The detector sucks.

:P

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm considering hunting an area with my CZ-21, and removing EVERYTHING. And then hitting it with the EQ800.

Should be an interesting test, or a hell of a workout. Either is beneficial.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread