SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven’t ordered my Equinox yet but Minelab emailed warranty info to me that gave me pause. The lithium battery is only warrantied for a year but when it needs to be replaced, Minelab says it needs to be done by a authorized service center because doing it yourself could affect the waterproof seal and void the warranty for that. I don’t know how long the battery will really last but having to ship it off every few years seems like a real pain.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah, but it probably only costs like $3

OP
OP
SusanMN

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, but it probably only costs like $3

The cost of shipping to Minelab, paying for service plus part and return shipping is going to cost a heck of a lot more than that. Anyone know Minelab minimum service charge?

OP
OP
SusanMN

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Detectorben!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sure just ignore me!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Minelab warranty is 3 years on the machine and 1 on the battery. I doubt it will go bad before that. If it goes bad after that, you would have the choice of replacing it yourself and resealing the unit, or sending it to them to do it. If the unit does not reseal properly when you do it and moisture or whatever gets in it, you'll probably have to buy another machine because the main unit will be trashed. Now if you detect in dry weather only and not in the water, I'd fix it myself. I've always sent any units I have had back to their representative factories for work, it's only happened twice on units out of warranty I purchased used, and worked out very well. I wouldn't let the battery thing stop you from buying a machine.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know Smokey, it's my bedtime

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, Jeff, you can stay up as late as you want tonight. And can even have milk and cookies.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Minelab warranty is 3 years on the machine and 1 on the battery. I doubt it will go bad before that. If it goes bad after that, you would have the choice of replacing it yourself and resealing the unit, or sending it to them to do it. If the unit does not reseal properly when you do it and moisture or whatever gets in it, you'll probably have to buy another machine because the main unit will be trashed. Now if you detect in dry weather only and not in the water, I'd fix it myself. I've always sent any units I have had back to their representative factories for work, it's only happened twice on units out of warranty I purchased used, and worked out very well. I wouldn't let the battery thing stop you from buying a machine.
Why would it not seal right? It's just a rubber gasket and cover held down by screws. A person with a hand held tool at minelab would tighten those screws down the same way we would at home. As long as it isn't covered in dirt and you don't over tighten screws to the point of cracking the plastic there should be no issues. One could even replace the o-rings for a few extra bucks when replacing the battery just to be safe.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would it not seal right? It's just a rubber gasket and cover held down by screws. A person with a hand held tool at minelab would tighten those screws down the same way we would at home. As long as it isn't covered in dirt and you don't over tighten screws to the point of cracking the plastic there should be no issues. One could even replace the o-rings for a few extra bucks when replacing the battery just to be safe.

ML still took the KYA route and mentioned the whole battery sealing thing in their warranty coverage blurb.

eqbattery.thumb.PNG.a198a790e5425d34f71a0597717133bd.png

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and don't forget:

"PERFORMANCE IS EVERYTHING!"

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cost of shipping to Minelab, paying for service plus part and return shipping is going to cost a heck of a lot more than that. Anyone know Minelab minimum service charge?

I had a 3 year old CTX and the battery still was holding an excellent charge, I wouldn't worry about your battery going bad if I were you.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the battery thing is a non issue. Have never had one of those batteries go bad before it was 5 years old. Some of the batteries in my home security system are now close to 10 years old, and Vferrari is correct, it's a cya thing for Minelab. And just because I can use a screwdriver with great skill, I know a few people who would sincerely put an eye out with one. Some folks are not mechanical, they know who they are and would want to send it back or go to a dealer if the dealer would replace it if they felt uncomfortable. It's just a matter of choice. No biggie.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey - like I said in the other thread I will have already moved on to the Minelab Equinox Hovercraft Detector by the time the battery dies in the 800.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hugh, that's lame. :laughing7: I am SERIOUSLY looking at a ground penetrating radar unit for the fall. And if any dealers are reading this, send me a pm with your sales pitch. For real.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey - like I said in the other thread I will have already moved on to the Minelab Equinox Hovercraft Detector by the time the battery dies in the 800.
Or the CTX 6060.lol

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hugh, that's lame. :laughing7: I am SERIOUSLY looking at a ground penetrating radar unit for the fall. And if any dealers are reading this, send me a pm with your sales pitch. For real.

Or get a LIDAR Drone survey done of whatever site you are thinking about. Huts will become very visible features on the plot. I know that Montpelier is doing this to map out their property to look for telling landscape features that might indicate former dwelling sites that don't look like anything with just the naked eye.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground penetrating radar unit. Got cash?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw come on, I'm old and feeble, you guys are worrying me about the battery issue. I'll be brave and buy one anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions