timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To anyone out the with the new Equinox how might it compare to the Safari? I know two different beasts but is it worth getting the new equinox? I have a Safari with the WOT and a 5x7 along with the stock coil. Is the technology that much better to get the equinox? It is always a conundrum when new detectors come out so thanks to anyone who has an opinion on this subject.....

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi timelord, I enjoyed my safari which I had for about a year. I did however sell it in order to be able to preorder the equinox. I think the Safari has great possibilities and I liked the improvements with 6x8 " sef coil, but I was frustrated with the slowness of the processor and with the excessive nulling of the threshold when in iron-laden areas which I commonly hunt. I feel the equinox will do me much better in all areas of detecting.

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordered an 800 should have it by the end of March....

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I would like to see a head to head with an fbs detector. Any of them would be helpful, all of them would be better. I have seen some videos on the box I have liked. But will it hit definitively on deep silver like the fbs models is the question lingering for me. If it does, my etrac will be up for sale. No need to have it if I won't be using it much.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theoretically the EQ should do better on paper. However, its' theoretical. A friend has a safari and does very well with it. I'm testing one against a Deus soon, there needs to be a lot of "do you hear this target" machine to machine tests.

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hit a park in town with my Safari hard, stock coil, 7” coil and the big WOT coil over the last couple years. This has been a park that I was told was hunted out but I found a good amount of silver, IHP, V’s, Buffalos and much more there. That will be the real test to see if the Equinox is better. I’ll make videos and post the to YouTube and come back here to tell you my experiences. I’m looking forward to how light the Equinox is compared to the Safari. Here’s hoping.....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's hoping you didn't just clean it out with the Safari. Not sure you can really conclude anything re: Safari vs. Equinox by doing that. But you should ABSOLUTELY do it because no site is really ever 100% cleaned out and hitting it again with a completely different machine than what has been their is bound to yield some good results. Make sure though it isn't the first place you go as you should get some acclamation swing time on it first and learn what the 7 - 8 different modes can do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread