Bad points about the Equinox series

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is true! I have turned to the dark side. Not really a dark side. I got up way too early yesterday. I got bored. There were no Revolutionary War buttons on Ebay to buy. I read Vferrari's report on the beach. Well, the closest beach is not very good for shallow water hunting, it drops off too quickly there, so the EQ would not be suitable there. I had decided just to wait for awhile. I am NOT standing in line to buy any stupid metal detector. I do very well with what I have. HOWEVER, I was thinking of the recent storms and some summer beach digs, as I don't go in the woods in the summer due to bee allergy. That will ruin your whole day.

So, being bored, and V, this is your fault. I accidentally checked the Cabella's website and the 600 was in stock so I bought one on a whim. Quick and simple. A whim. It has been shipped.

Somewhere in the thought process I figured there were three places I could go about 150 miles from here with salt water tidal pools and shallow beaches I could use it at. The Deus will still be my primary machine for everything else. So this is a special use machine. If it does not live up to expectations I will sell it before the end of the spring. When I swung one I STILL found it to be nose heavy, and with the cat arthritis, and a pound heavier than the Deus, it will be the special use machine. The Deus sucks gold and silver from the dry and upper wet sand deeper than perdition, so this will be one of my two special use machines. Wet gently sloping salt water beaches only.

A whim. Pure and simple. And next year when the competition ramps up, who knows?

Smokey, in regards to Minelab;.......You---will---assimilate---resistance---is---futile---

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found some vids on Youtube of the Equinox in salt wet sand...Im not impressed...my AT Pro does better at the beach than the tests Ive seen so far.

AT Pro better than Equinox at beach? LOL.

Now that's the funniest thing i've heard all year...lol:laughing7::laughing3:

AT Pro is awful on the beach.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I tried between the NOX and CTX is a Quarter on edge.
My CTX does a lot better job with the quarter on edge then the NOX does and was wondering what setting would effect on edge targets if any?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just ordered the 600 from Big Boys Hobbies. They have the 600 and 800 in stock. Bringing it to Mexico next month. Hopefully i will find a few Aztec gold artifacts.

The 800 is not in stock. We are still working on back orders. I had a few 600 last night but they are long gone. I will have more 600s in a few weeks.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I tried between the NOX and CTX is a Quarter on edge.
My CTX does a lot better job with the quarter on edge then the NOX does and was wondering what setting would effect on edge targets if any?

Have you tried the gold modes? Should be the best for such targets...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in 5 days! Gasp! I will also have the 600 by then. When we do the great bakeoff of 2018 we should use "out of the box" settings. No fine tweaking. That will give a better feel of how we are really doing. By not tweaking any settings, it will give all new users a better feel what the machines have out of the box. I have a patch of ground we have gone over a lot, that spot produced 3 minie balls, two buttons and three percussion caps we will see if any machine can find anything there. It is 15' x 15'. Then I'll plant a percussion cap in a ziploc bag, a minie ball and a brass button and maybe a coin or two and see if each machine sees them. This will be the ultimate bad dirt test. Air tests have been done, good dirt tests, we will be there at least two days and the full second day in untouched ground. Should be interesting.

metalhead

Mar 24, 2012
York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sovereign GT
Minlab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
)I got the 600 yesterday .set it up charged it green light stayed on .turned it on cd appeared on screen tried cheking coil cable. did factory reset still cd still came up

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't printed the entire manual yet, but that doesn't sound very good.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
)I got the 600 yesterday .set it up charged it green light stayed on .turned it on cd appeared on screen tried cheking coil cable. did factory reset still cd still came up

That is a coil cable/bad coil indicator. I know you "checked" the coil but, if you haven't already, completely disconnect the coil and reconnect it to make sure. If that does not address the problem you got a bad coil and should process a return/exhange with your dealer.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't printed the entire manual yet, but that doesn't sound very good.

I printed out the manual yesterday on my Canon Duplex (two-sided) printer. At the end, it printed a message to me that said "DON'T EVER DO THAT TO ME AGAIN!!" :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread