Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Deus and my Tesoro at the beach. Either one will do. No issues. Lotsa gold.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is unquestionably a better choice for you. Congrats.

Since there are no links provided in your post can you elaborate on what “does better” means. Looking for any excuse to cancel my order and will listen to any logical, compelling reason to do so. Thanks.
I mean my AT gets better depth with a better signal and numbers don't jump as bad as in the vids I watched...people may not even have the Equinox adjusted right...Im going to wait until some of the guys on the West coast of Florida give some feed back because that's where I hunt....it may end up being a great saltwater detector...I hope so...Me saying the Equinox is not looking good is like the people saying the AT pro is useless in salt...they are wrong and I hope I am wrong...the AT is useless on some beaches around the country but it works well on the West coast of Florida...I can set it up to run stable and its only about two inches shallower on targets than my CZ21...If the Equinox performs as good as the CZ21 Im getting one....it doesn't have to be better than the CZ, just equal to it.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's what I'm talkin about. Thanks for elaborating. Still keeping the Equinox on order because my AT Pro experience in wet sand was not the same as yours (one of the many reasons why I don't have an AT Pro any more) but I have seen a broad range of Equinox beach videos that convince me to take a shot. Why? It seems stable in salt surf (ie not noisy like Deus) and while the numbers may jump, the tones sound solid and the gold chain results are impressive. Also, I do believe a lot of the variability in the demonstrations does have to do with folks lack of familiarity on how to properly set up and tweak the machine (mode selection, noise cancel, GB, sensitivity setting, recovery speed setting). The last parameter being key to depth and one that folks are not used to being able to adjust.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's what I'm talkin about. Thanks for elaborating. Still keeping the Equinox on order because my AT Pro experience in wet sand was not the same as yours (one of the many reasons why I don't have an AT Pro any more) but I have seen a broad range of Equinox beach videos that convince me to take a shot. Why? It seems stable in salt surf (ie not noisy like Deus) and while the numbers may jump, the tones sound solid and the gold chain results are impressive. Also, I do believe a lot of the variability in the demonstrations does have to do with folks lack of familiarity on how to properly set up and tweak the machine (mode selection, noise cancel, GB, sensitivity setting, recovery speed setting). The last parameter being key to depth and one that folks are not used to being able to adjust.

May be another reason to keep your Nox on order.

I think it's tied to the following.
When a tester in USA first started talking about Nox 800 model, it was Minelab's plan to have gold mode set to 40khz. But at some point later this changed and default freq setting used for both gold modes was changed to multi freq.
Now I saw something yesterday(details posted here) a pattern with targets located and Multi freq was dominating. Not deep targets either.
If you have 't read you might consider.
There is a back story to my hunting this area yesterday.
I have a theory. And will try to prove in next few days.
One of 2 things are happening.
Either Nox is seeing nonferrous Deus ain't seeing, or Nox is seeing some numerous Deus isn't reporting well enough for w user to discern as nonferrous (good target).
My test will involve comparing targets located with Nox using Mulit freq where single freq use of Nox ove the same targets produce no dig gable tone. Deus will be used to see if it sees these targets (all coils but biggest LF coil) and if it does see these targets what does the audio sound like.
Btw field 2 detect mode is for real at unmasking/separation.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why, haven't you seen coins floating in the air!....LOL:laughing9: I have yet to see one myself.

Only in my dreams TH, only in my dreams. (Ah, pre-clad of course).

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be another reason to keep your Nox on order.

I think it's tied to the following.
When a tester in USA first started talking about Nox 800 model, it was Minelab's plan to have gold mode set to 40khz. But at some point later this changed and default freq setting used for both gold modes was changed to multi freq.
Now I saw something yesterday(details posted here) a pattern with targets located and Multi freq was dominating. Not deep targets either.
If you have 't read you might consider.
There is a back story to my hunting this area yesterday.
I have a theory. And will try to prove in next few days.
One of 2 things are happening.
Either Nox is seeing nonferrous Deus ain't seeing, or Nox is seeing some numerous Deus isn't reporting well enough for w user to discern as nonferrous (good target).
My test will involve comparing targets located with Nox using Mulit freq where single freq use of Nox ove the same targets produce no dig gable tone. Deus will be used to see if it sees these targets (all coils but biggest LF coil) and if it does see these targets what does the audio sound like.
Btw field 2 detect mode is for real at unmasking/separation.

I know what you are driving at TNSS and look forward to your tests. However, give the Deus a fair shake by setting it up properly to give it the best chance to perform its unmasking magic. For example, pitch mode with iron volume, moderate disc (6 to 10), and reactivity 3 kicks butt on full tones with no disc due to iron down averaging of nonferrous targets. Also, it is becoming apparent that operating Deus at 28.8 k or above is the key to unmasking in thick iron. Check out Calabash's latest vid.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Deus out the an ancient house site yesterday. The house is long gone. There is a lot of BIG iron in the ground. I got a nice mid tone signal, not extremely deep, maybe 5 to 6". And a squeak. It did read good on the VDI. After first digging up the squeaking signal, a piece of plate steel about 1.5" square, the non ferrous brass button was right touching it. Now THAT's a test.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you are driving at TNSS and look forward to your tests. However, give the Deus a fair shake by setting it up properly to give it the best chance to perform its unmasking magic. For example, pitch mode with iron volume, moderate disc (6 to 10), and reactivity 3 kicks butt on full tones with no disc due to iron down averaging of nonferrous targets. Also, it is becoming apparent that operating Deus at 28.8 k or above is the key to unmasking in thick iron. Check out Calabash's latest vid.

All of my test is giving all a fair shake.
I personally benefit from these test/ comparisons.. I need to know the whatevers when choosing a detector for a site.
I only have over $4,000 tied up in Deus units/coils pinpointer. No reason for me to intentionally and without good reason to dog the Deus.
I can already say with 100% certainty.
Equinox will give robust full tone on some nonferrous Deus will give extremely close iron tone sound on- same targets buried undisturbed.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know TNSS, you respond to my posts but sometimes I get the feeling you don't like to listen to what I am saying. Case in point, the fact that you used the terminology "iron tone sound". I said use "pitch" mode to unmask in thick iron. That is what Calabash and I and others are doing with the Deus to unmask non-ferrous from iron because full tones or even multi-tones is not cutting the mustard just as you have observed. That is why I described the Deus setup parameters to you so that you could test them. Let me know if you have already done this and did not find it to be productive. Thanks.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming one wants to not dig every metal target in a site.
Looking predominantly for nonferrous.
Pitch tones cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
Full tones 0 disc cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
Full tones disc 2-3 cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
Multi tone disc 6 cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
But hunting a site many times doing all the above, can get real close to being Deus dead.

Btw, in case folks don't know. Running 0 disc Deus is not giving tone on all ferrous objects.
And if a person wants to prove this.
Go to a site and hunt using gold field, find target using gold field IAR setting5, and compare all to disc 0 full tones Deus program. Eventually you will get a target gold field is signaling on, reguslr program using 0 disc won't hear. You dig put a magnet to it and watch what happens. Not hot rock either, iron.

And when experimenting start dialing disc down below 0 into negative territory and watch what happens as you approach -4.0 to -6.4 range wise.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw if I don't address something someone has said here, purely unintentional.
I usually am monitoring around 25 threads simultaneously on various forums. So I can overlook things sometimes-multiple detector models.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tnsharpshooter
The next time you go out... or better yet to the same spot....please take one of your Deus along with the Equinox .
Test them side by side please !
thank you .
Gary

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming one wants to not dig every metal target in a site.
Looking predominantly for nonferrous.
Pitch tones cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
Full tones 0 disc cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
Full tones disc 2-3 cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
Multi tone disc 6 cannot be used to make a site Deus dead.
But hunting a site many times doing all the above, can get real close to being Deus dead.

Btw, in case folks don't know. Running 0 disc Deus is not giving tone on all ferrous objects.
And if a person wants to prove this.
Go to a site and hunt using gold field, find target using gold field IAR setting5, and compare all to disc 0 full tones Deus program. Eventually you will get a target gold field is signaling on, reguslr program using 0 disc won't hear. You dig put a magnet to it and watch what happens. Not hot rock either, iron.

And when experimenting start dialing disc down below 0 into negative territory and watch what happens as you approach -4.0 to -6.4 range wise.

Yep. Still not listening, only talking. You did not even bother to address the parameters I stated which were and I repeat Pitch starting at the disc setting (6 to 10) NOT 0 or negative disc. At 28 khz. With Iron Volume at 3 or above (admittedly did not have this specified before but it is important) and reactivity at 3. Disc needed to mitigate iron down averaging of non-ferrous. This will enable you to unmask non ferrous items when you come across strong iron tones. I held off on posting the statement below but now I am just going to do it.

You will continue to run the "tests" the way you want to run them because I suppose you know better. I know you have a lot more experience than I do with more detectors and I respect that. And I will continue to listen to you and enjoy at least picking out the nuggets of genuine usable information you DO provide in your tests because they are thorough, though sometimes flawed. Yet I will continue to do the independent verification. And will share info with other users on the forum that do at least listen to what I am saying even if they don't agree with me and keep an open mind to listen to them because I know I have plenty to learn. You tend to respond dismissively, defensively or passive aggressively to anyone who does not see exactly eye to eye, and frankly, that gets a little tiresome. You also seem to go ALL IN on the latest gadget you are excited about. I get that, but it opens you up to those who just want to be contrarian and that is when the dismissive and passive aggressive replies really amp up and credibility tends to go out the window, and people miss out on the good points being made because all they hear is the noise.

Believe me, I am subject to it and try to recognize what is going on before I blow it but am not 100% successful. We all do get into our little spats on the forum because of our passion for this hobby but in the end I think we generally can eventually cut through the emotion ans see the other point of view, even if we may still disagree.

All I am saying is sharing your knowledge is great and a great asset to the forum but don't forget to take the time to really listen to what other folks are saying too. Sometimes, they actually have something useful to contribute. Probably not being fair and perhaps pot calling the kettle black so folks keep me honest. Keep on truckin', brother.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tnsharpshooter
The next time you go out... or better yet to the same spot....please take one of your Deus along with the Equinox .
Test them side by side please !
thank you .
Gary
Count on it!!
Might happen today if I dodge the rain.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a salt water beach Ferrari and I go to. Lots of other folks too. During the summer months every day I went there were already one to four guys in wet suits in the water. At a place like this unless you go all the time doesn’t matter what machine you have they already beat you to it.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Still not listening, only talking. You did not even bother to address the parameters I stated which were and I repeat Pitch starting at the disc setting (6 to 10) NOT 0 or negative disc. At 28 khz. With Iron Volume at 3 or above (admittedly did not have this specified before but it is important) and reactivity at 3. Disc needed to mitigate iron down averaging of non-ferrous. This will enable you to unmask non ferrous items when you come across strong iron tones. I held off on posting the statement below but now I am just going to do it.

You will continue to run the "tests" the way you want to run them because I suppose you know better. I know you have a lot more experience than I do with more detectors and I respect that. And I will continue to listen to you and enjoy at least picking out the nuggets of genuine usable information you DO provide in your tests because they are thorough, though sometimes flawed. Yet I will continue to do the independent verification. And will share info with other users on the forum that do at least listen to what I am saying even if they don't agree with me and keep an open mind to listen to them because I know I have plenty to learn. You tend to respond dismissively, defensively or passive aggressively to anyone who does not see exactly eye to eye, and frankly, that gets a little tiresome. You also seem to go ALL IN on the latest gadget you are excited about. I get that, but it opens you up to those who just want to be contrarian and that is when the dismissive and passive aggressive replies really amp up and credibility tends to go out the window, and people miss out on the good points being made because all they hear is the noise.

Believe me, I am subject to it and try to recognize what is going on before I blow it but am not 100% successful. We all do get into our little spats on the forum because of our passion for this hobby but in the end I think we generally can eventually cut through the emotion ans see the other point of view, even if we may still disagree.

All I am saying is sharing your knowledge is great and a great asset to the forum but don't forget to take the time to really listen to what other folks are saying too. Sometimes, they actually have something useful to contribute. Probably not being fair and perhaps pot calling the kettle black so folks keep me honest. Keep on truckin', brother.

I try and address things here. Hard to address every single little thing.
And maybe it would be better if you just ask point blank questions and not load one post up with many many questions or whatever.
Hard to satisfy all folks.
One thing you can always count on with me is the truth. As I see things.
Can I be in error. Sure.
And if some one here or anywhere post something indicating I will read, and do follow test and try and comfirm. If I am wrong I'll be first to admit.

I charge nothing for the info I supply.
And believe me, you try to post up on forums the amount of info I do using your thumbs on iPad mini takes time.
I might be the faster typist on iPad mini in USA. Lol

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures speak better than words. Too much techno geek and people will tune out. Just go have fun with it and heck with the rest. I intend to dig again today!

Last edited:

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through this thread, I haven't seen one thing that may make you think twice...
The units are powered by a lithium-ion battery in the hand grip. Nice...except that you will NOT be able to check that unit on an airline! No Lithium Ion batteries allowed on U.S. Carriers except for those in computers that are carried aboard. If you attempt to sneak baggage check of a product that has a Lithium Ion battery, you can be subject to Federal Crime statutes, with fines and potential prison.
So... if you are always going to your hunting sites by land...no problem, but if you're taking a vacation and plan to take your MD via air... it better be by private plane, because the airlines will send you home from the airport. You could ship it by ground to your destination, but that's it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try and address things here. Hard to address every single little thing.
And maybe it would be better if you just ask point blank questions and not load one post up with many many questions or whatever.
Hard to satisfy all folks.
One thing you can always count on with me is the truth. As I see things.
Can I be in error. Sure.
And if some one here or anywhere post something indicating I will read, and do follow test and try and comfiest. If I am wrong I'll be first to admit.

I charge nothing for the info I supply.
And believe me, you try to posr up on forums the amount of info I do using your thumbs on iPad mini takes time.
I might be the faster typist on iPad mini in USA. Lol

TNSS - You make me smile when you say "loading up posts". Now that's the pot calling the kettle...never mind.

My only request was that you test Deus pitch mode at your site with the masked non-ferrous using the Calabash parameters I stated above. It was ONE request and you still just dismissed it.

I now you can't do everything and appreciate what you do. All I asked was for you to test Deus in a setup that some of feel gives Deus the best performance in unmasking. That's all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread