Some Equinox Test Garden Testing, Including A Head-to-head Video With The CTX 3030...

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK all,

I finally did a bit of testing of the Equinox 800, and the CTX 3030, in my test garden. There is a lot I could say, but I will try to keep this relatively short.

Background --

My test garden was "planted" about 6 years ago. I have pennies, nickels, and both clad and silver dimes and quarters buried, generally at depths from 6" to 12", every two inches. I also have a few "challenged" targets -- a 6" deep penny with nail on top, a 6" deep penny with a nail roughly 3" to the side, and then the same nail configurations with two 6" deep dimes, and then two 8" deep quarters.
The soil in my test garden is rather harsh/mineralized; today, ground balance on the Equinox was ranging from the high 40s to high 50s, depending upon mode. There is also some EMI; I could not run the Equinox any higher than 20 sensitivity, if I wanted to minimize the chatter -- and that includes repeated noise cancels.

I have tested numerous machines in this test garden. Many single-frequency machines will fail to ID coins beyond about 6" deep -- with all IDs trending solidly toward iron after the 6" depth mark. Exceptions to this have been Explorers/E-Tracs, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and Fisher F-19. I will also note that Minelab FBS machines get a bit more depth in other locations locally, as compared to what I get in my test garden.

I wanted to accomplish a few things, today, in my limited amount of time.

1. I wanted to get a general sense of how the CTX 3030 was seeing each coin, and then do the same with the Equinox -- just to get a general sense of what the "limits" of each machine were, and which would detect/ID "tough" targets better (both fringe-depth targets, and the "challenged" nail/coin targets)

2. Check several different modes/configurations of the Equinox, to see how changes affect the unit's capabilities.

3. Check the Equinox on a few deep coins, to see whether it could match CTX depth in this dirt, on these coins.

Before I give any analysis/summary, I would point out that back when my primary machines were the Minelab Explorer SE Pro and the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, I ran a lot of "head-to-head" tests between the two. At that time, the Gold Bug Pro would consistently give equal, if not better, reporting on most -- if not all -- coins in my test garden. Particularly on low conductors (nickels), but even on clad and silver coins. HOWEVER, "real world" use proved the Explorer a much better choice for deep-coin hunting, for various reasons -- including better depth at most locations than could be achieved in my test garden, better identification of trash targets (allowing me to move more efficiently through trashy parks and not dig as much junk), etc.
Having said that, I will say that in short, the Equinox performed better overall, on all targets, than the CTX did. VERY similar to how the Gold Bug Pro "bested" the Explorer.

1. The Equinox gave more consistent "dig" information on the coin/nail combination targets, from a larger range of sectors in 360 rotation around the targets. In other words, smaller sectors of "pure iron" tones and ID were given as compared to the CTX; in other words, the high-tone, higher VDI responses from the Equinox formed a more complete portion of the 360 circle-of-rotation around the targets than the CTX was able to.
My conclusion, the Equinox will be a superior "unmasker." Not surprising.

2. The Equinox could give chirps on deep high-conductive coins that the CTX could not.
My conclusion, the Equinox does not "lack depth."

3. The Equinox could give enough clues to make a "dig" decision on some deep coins that the CTX could only manage inconsistent "chirps" on -- and I attempted to capture an example on video (a 10" deep clad quarter), which I will link later in the post.
My conclusion, interesting, but not totally surprising, given my experience with my test garden, and other units I've run through it.

4. Lowering reactivity/recovery settings does increase depth/give a better signal on deep targets, BUT -- sweep speed must be slowed down substantially for the lowest reactivity settings, and increased substantially for the highest settings, to accommodate the speeds, and achieve maximum results.

5. Park 1 mode was tested the most; different modes (and settings) did afford different advantages on different targets, but I am not prepared to comment more thoroughly yet. I did note that Gold 2 mode is indeed a HOT mode, and could hit targets as well if not better than any other mode.

6. Ground balance matters (duh) on this unit, and it should be balanced each time you switch modes, as each mode settles at a different ground balance number depending upon mode (when using the auto-balance process).

7. Noise cancel should ALSO be performed when switching to a different mode, as different channels were selected by the machine as the "quietest" channel, depending upon mode.

8. Higher reactivity settings seemed to experience higher EMI/noise.

9. The Equinox is NOT weak on deep high conductors, compared to FBS.

10. With that said, the Equinox was able to give more stable ID, to deeper depth, on nickels, versus high-conductive coins -- i.e. better ID "lock" on nickels, versus bouncier ID and audio on high conductors (though overall depth of detection -- in terms of a "dig-me" response, was similar between nickels and higher-conductive coins, if allowing for the jumpier VDI numbers on the high conductors).

11. Beach mode -- despite lower frequency weighting -- did not offer improved detection of high conductors, as I thought it might. One reason, I believe, may be that because ground balance is "locked" to zero in beach mode (which I did not know until today), and with my test-garden dirt balancing in the high 40s to high 50s, this was too much of an "offset" from the fixed "0" balance for beach mode to "shine" in this case (my guess).

12. The Equinox should not be thought of as "one detector, with multiple adjustments," but -- in my opinion -- more of a "multiple different detectors in one package," with each mode representing a "different" machine.

I have much more testing to do, but wanted to put my preliminary thoughts out there, for those interested.

Here is a link to the CTX vs. Equinox video, shown over the 10" clad quarter. Forgive the quality -- I've never shot/edited a detecting video before, and only had an iPhone to record with. Still, I think this video illustrates the results I was getting in general, CTX vs. Equinox. I chose this target, as it was "on the fringe" of what was still "diggable" with the Equinox (Park 1, reactivity/recovery 2, iron bias 3, ground balance 48, sensitivity 20, noise cancel channel 1) but "sub-diggable" with the CTX (maxed out manual 30 sensitivity, open screen above the 20 FE line, fast off, deep off, 50-tone conductive, Ferrous-Coin separation).

Steve

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, awesome post Steve. Quick question, isn’t Beach biased to lower frequencies (ie higher conductors/less hot) [you said “higher frequencies”]? Also, my understanding is that beach mode is also limited in transmit power in addition to the GB quirk you mentioned.

Again great informative post.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, awesome post Steve. Quick question, isn’t Beach biased to lower frequencies (ie higher conductors/less hot) [you said “higher frequencies”]? Also, my understanding is that beach mode is also limited in transmit power in addition to the GB quirk you mentioned.

Again great informative post.

Vferrari -- absolutely. You are correct, and I fixed/edited the post. THANKS! My brain was thinking about beach mode possibly being good for "high conductors" due to "lower frequency weighting," but I transposed my thoughts about "high" conductors and typed "high" frequency! DUH!

Yes, I also heard that "transmit power" was reduced in beach 2, which I find interesting...just heard that recently.

Steve

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative Steve. Thank you for your awesome research.

183CEF46-5381-4C2A-B8ED-67D244A245F9.jpeg

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information. :occasion14: to

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari -- absolutely. You are correct, and I fixed/edited the post. THANKS! My brain was thinking about beach mode possibly being good for "high conductors" due to "lower frequency weighting," but I transposed my thoughts about "high" conductors and typed "high" frequency! DUH!

Yes, I also heard that "transmit power" was reduced in beach 2, which I find interesting...just heard that recently.

Steve

NP - I do that too because they have an inverse relationship. Got your back, man.

This beach mode thing has me more confused the deeper I dig into it.

Manual says you can use tracking GB in Beach mode but doesn't say anywhere that it's locked. Does that also mean you can't do an auto ground balance?

Also, about this reduced power thing, it says it only does that when black sand is detected and in that case a caution symbol is displayed. I suspect thst means the reduced power kicks in on land whenever any mineralization kicks in which limits your ability to use it as a deep silver seeking mode on land.

Can't wait to get my machine so I can play around with these beach mode settings to understand them better.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
AWESOME post, thank you thank you thank you!

I'd been looking for the comparison you made and even commented towards that in another thread....

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your report is consistent from what I've been hearing from some other CTX users with established test gardens, and is reassuring for some of us who have the Nox on order. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are welcome, everyone! I will add more info later. I know this is a big question with many; many of us don't want to "give up" much, if anything, in terms of depth, with respect to what we are used to with FBS. While those results are only accurate for "my dirt," obviously, I think it does shed SOME light on the issue, and it confirms my limited field experience, as well. I know how that 8" deep wheat cent that I dug "sounded" on my Equinox, and I know how it "would" have sounded, at that depth, on my old Explorer, and have a good idea on the CTX as well. And it hit just as well on the Equinox as it would have on FBS.

vferrari --

The ground balance section in the manual was confusing, to me, too. Let me see if this helps...

There are two ways to run the 'Nox. Fixed ground balance, or tracking ground balance.

If you choose tracking ground balance (which I have not done, yet), then you turn tracking "on," and the machine will find -- and then maintain -- a proper ground balance setting. As you work your way over different ground, the machine "tracks," and adjusts as necessary.

If you choose fixed ground balance, then obviously that means you set a number, and the machine stays at that number, until you change it.

NOW -- there are TWO WAYS to "set" your fixed ground balance number -- an "auto" procedure, or a "manual" procedure.

In the auto procedure, you let THE MACHINE choose the number at which the machine is balanced, in the manual procedure YOU choose the number at which the machine is balanced. BOTH methods, auto or manual, require you to bob the coil up and down. BOTH methods require you to choose the ground balance option from the menu.

The difference is, if you want to MANUALLY set the GB number, you simply start bobbing the coil up and down, and you use the +/- keys to run the balance up (or down) while bobbing the coil, while you listen for the audible ground feedback to become "minimized" as you bob the coil. Where it is "minimized," is the proper GB setting.
You are now done, and whatever number you are you, you have "manually set" a "fixed ground balance."

Meanwhile, if you want to AUTOMATICALLY set the GB number, the process is the same as for the manual balance process (you enter GB mode from the menu, and then bob the coil) except that before you start bobbing, you press and hold the accept/reject button, and then start bobbing the coil. Here, you never use the +/- keys; the MACHINE does it. If you listen, as you bob the coil, you will hear the audible ground feedback decrease, while you visually see the GB number on the screen moving up or down, as needed, automatically. When the ground feedback reaches its minimum, and the GB number "stabilizes" and stops changing, the machine then decides that you are at the "right" GB number. You are now done, and whatever number the machine is now set at, you have "automatically set" a "fixed ground balance."

So, in summary...

TRACKING balance, means the machine chooses a number, and then adjusts it "on the fly" as you detect.

AUTO balance, means THE MACHINE chooses a number, and it stays FIXED.

MANUAL balance means YOU choose a number, and it stays FIXED.

SO -- having said ALL of that, the only thing that I can confirm, is when I tried the AUTO ground balance process, and bobbed the coil, while in beach mode, the machine did not change the GB number; it stayed at "0". I have since been told, but can't confirm yet, that if I had chosen the MANUAL ground balance process, I COULD have adjusted the number with the +/- keys, to whatever level I wanted. And obviously, I expect that the TRACKING ground balance option would also work in beach mode.

Does that help clear up anything, vferrari?

Steve

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Makes sense. And since each mode GB’s differently on the same ground (ie, each mode may auto GB to a different number at the same exact pumping location), 0 may have been the “right” number for Auto GB for beach mode where you were pumping.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferrari --

I had a few typos above, in my last post -- typed "manual" where I should have said "auto," a time or two. GEE, this is not my day! I'm word dyslexic today! Must be the midnight shifts! Anyway, I fixed/edited, so it reads correctly now.

ANYWAY, sounds like you fully understand the GB process, so you didn't need all that explanation. Maybe it will prove helpful to someone else, but I now see that's not what you were confused about. You have it straight, from a GB perspective. Sorry bro!

As for your thought about "maybe 0 is the correct beach setting in my dirt," I guess that COULD be true; never thought of that because I assumed that even in beach mode, the GB would still be trying to deal with iron mineral, just as it does in the other modes. And since the other modes balanced in the mid 40s to high 50s, and given my irony red dirt, I was expecting the same with the beach mode -- a rather high GB number. HOWEVER, maybe the beach mode does something different; like I say, I would have expected that since ground balance generally works to account for "iron mineralization," that it would be doing the same on the beach. But I sure could be wrong...

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari --

I had a few typos above, in my last post -- typed "manual" where I should have said "auto," a time or two. GEE, this is not my day! I'm word dyslexic today! Must be the midnight shifts! Anyway, I fixed/edited, so it reads correctly now.

ANYWAY, sounds like you fully understand the GB process, so you didn't need all that explanation. Maybe it will prove helpful to someone else, but I now see that's not what you were confused about. You have it straight, from a GB perspective. Sorry bro!

As for your thought about "maybe 0 is the correct beach setting in my dirt," I guess that COULD be true; never thought of that because I assumed that even in beach mode, the GB would still be trying to deal with iron mineral, just as it does in the other modes. And since the other modes balanced in the mid 40s to high 50s, and given my irony red dirt, I was expecting the same with the beach mode -- a rather high GB number. HOWEVER, maybe the beach mode does something different; like I say, I would have expected that since ground balance generally works to account for "iron mineralization," that it would be doing the same on the beach. But I sure could be wrong...

Steve

I think it does do something different in beach mode and that is it reduces transmit power in the presence of mineralization rather than adjusting GB. Did you note the caution symbol displaying (exclamation point in triangle) when you auto GB’d in beach mode? That means it is reducing transmit power due to possible “black sand” to reduce “overload” per the manual.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try flipping the CTX to Auto+3 in your test to see if it could better lock onto the quarter? I find manual 30 to be way too chatty for me.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferarri -- nope, never saw the caution symbol show up; it is interesting (and encouraging) that transmit power MAY only be reduced when there's an iron mineral "overload" detected. I had forgotten that part of the manual...

cudamark -- yes, in fact, I did. I could not get it at all in auto +3; in auto +3 it was running me at only 19 sensitivity, and that just wasn't enough to get anything on that quarter. I opted for 30 manual (despite the chattiness) because my point there was to show that the Equinox was "keeping up with" the CTX in terms of depth, and if I would have run at lower sensitivity on the CTX in order to calm/quiet it down, I felt that the point I was making would have been "weakened" (i.e. some may have said, had I run auto +3/19 sensitivity, that the reason the Equinox gave a better hint on the quarter was because I was running it "hotter" than the CTX -- so I wanted to make sure I didn't leave that loose end dangling there). BUT -- yes, I agree with you, it was way too chatty for the amount of EMI present, to have the sensitivity that high. If I were "in the field," with it that unstable, I would have lowered it some...

Steve

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the very informative machine vs. machine analysis! :icon_thumleft:

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post, I like the comparisons and I will probably do something to compare the Whites V3i to the Equinox 800 in the near term with my test garden. But I have a couple things. First I could not see what your Equinox was registering for the Quarter. I know when I just did an air test on the ground with a clad 25 cent it registered about 29 or 30.

As far as Ground Balancing here is how I understand it, "0" is the default for only three modes Park, Field, & Beach. In Gold mode the default is Tracking Ground Balance and that number is whatever the Equinox determines it should be, based on your soil. I pretty much only run in Tracking Ground Balance in Park.

You are either in 1 of 3 modes for Ground Balance when in Park, Field, or Beach, but 4 choices:

Do Nothing
The default is ZERO and it stays there.

Manual Ground Balance
You enter Ground Balance thru Settings and depress the + or - until you have the desired number you want and it stays there until you change it.

Auto Ground Balance
You enter Ground Balance thru Settings and depress and hold the Accept/Reject button while pumping the coil up and down off the ground the Tracking Ground Balance Icon will flash right under the WiFi Icon and when it stabilizes on a value let go of the Accept/Reject button and thats your Auto Ground Balance number its not going to change.

Tracking Ground Balance
You enter Ground Balance thru Settings and depress the Accept/Reject button and you will see the Tracking Ground Balance Icon come on right underneath the WiFi Icon, release the Accept/Reject Button and your now in what I call Auto track. The numbers will change with the conditions.

If your in the Gold Mode then you automatically enter the Tracking Ground Balance because its the default, but you can change it to Manual Ground Balance or Auto Ground Balance if you want.

Cheers,

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATPRoDon -- yes, I know, it was a horrible job of filming. I am NOT a multi-tasker, so trying to sweep the quarter, stay centered over it, hold the phone, record, AND get the screen in the recording as well was too much for this one-track-mind filming newb to handle! A clad quarter is a 29-30 out of the ground, but in ground, at that fringe depth, it was bouncy, teens to twenties for the most part...

As for the ground balance part, I think you laid it out perfectly...

Steve

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So with the equinox you would be better off with tracking ground balance rather than the fixed ground balance...
Dont have the Equinox yet but will order the machine also.. testing so far sounds pretty good..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread