Equinox 800 tip of the day

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have done some test using the Nox.

A tip here for folks to consider and even experiment with.

I can't say Nox will behave in all places soil wise but in my soil.

Key setting IMO to up the odds on detecting (stopping on the fringe depth detected)- you won't know what is beneath the coil target wise, but you can suspect deep if coil sweeps are highly critical along with coil height. You don't have to dig necessarily either your choice.

Set ID range 1-6 to highest(er) tone or set 2-6 to highest (er) tone.
I have confirmed this does help me at least.
Cheers

Believe it or not, Etrac and CTX you can't do this. They start doing hop scotch with ID on fringe depth detected. Not the Nox.

By doing, In my ground I get high tone on a foot deep nickel- my soil is bad.
Get high tone on deep dime too.
And deep quarter and a foot deep 3 ringer CW bullet.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what you are saying is that deep fringe keepers are showing up in the low non-ferrous segment so if you set a 1-6/2-6 tone break and choose a high tone for this segment you can then be alerted to a possible deep keeper and decide yourself to make the dig/no dig decision. I suspect this would be especially effective at a site with little to no modern trash ringing up in this range. Do I have this correct?

Too bad 600 users cannot fully take advantage of this tip because they cannot manipulate non-ferrous tone settings.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what you are saying is that deep fringe keepers are showing up in the low non-ferrous segment so if you set a 1-6/2-6 tone break and choose a high tone for this segment you can then be alerted to a possible deep keeper and decide yourself to make the dig/no dig decision. I suspect this would be especially effective at a site with little to no modern trash ringing up in this range. Do I have this correct?

Too bad 600 users cannot fully take advantage of this tip because they cannot manipulate non-ferrous tone settings.

Better to use what I said in less polluted areas. Not around a bunch of iron. Some modern trash is ok.
For open field relic hunting a good choice.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CTX will eat the NOX for lunch :)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know the CTX had a mouth...interesting accessory.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX will eat the NOX for lunch :)

You are sure of yourself. Right?
Better buckle up, you are in for a ride.
Better watch skilled Noxer when they come around you. Don't dare diss the detector.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
You like crow.
If not you has better start liking.

Both detectors have their strengths, both can hunt behind the other and make finds.
Unfortunately on the beaches though, using a CTX you are SOL at finding thin gold chains.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh brother...you guys are just joking around right? Otherwise this is just really sad and embarrassing.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the sound fluctuate with the depth. Louder closer to the surface softer deeper it is?

Just curious

Cheers

0E1E79E9-8F63-44F2-BE30-6BF49A3F3FB5.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, is that your toy and can I have it, less the dog?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those live rounds? Looks like his gun is jammed. "Curse you Red Baron!"

TNSS can probably elaborate but tonal modulation vs. depth exists but is not very pronounced and not adjustable like on the Deus (e.g., the "Audio Response" setting) based on detailed reviews I have read

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread