Couple of quick thoughts on the Minelab Equinox 600

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,
Could you please elaborate on the "single-freqs". I am seeing some confusion on exactly what freq's the 600 has vs the 800. What freqs does the 800 have that the 600 doesn't, and/or operational differences.
Thanks!

The EQX800 can run 20 and 40kHz individually that the 600 can't. They both utilize those frequencies when running in multi-frequency mode...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A trick with the AT Pro was to sweep the target with the front tip of the DD coil.. if it was a bottle cap it would sound off as iron.nd move it away from the targhet
What's the Equinox do when you do this? Just curious.
Yep, as you sweep the AT back and forth over the target and move the coil away, the last sound you get will be iron...its really good at IDing bottle caps.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Equinox if you switch from Multi to single frequency on the fly (e.g. 5 khz) a significant change in TID is a probable bottlecap.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few things...

Someone asked about wired phones for the 600. Yes, that's what it comes with, but it has full capability to be "wireless" -- the same as the 800 -- if you buy the WM08 and/or wireless phones.

I agree with Calabash that in my dirt, the Equinox is -- at least -- on par with CTX/E-Trac/Explorer depth...

Someone also talked about nickels; in my test garden, the Equinox is deeper -- and gives more stable/accurate ID -- on deep nickels as compared to FBS...

Finally, vferrari is exactly correct -- ONE way that I have verified to "figure out" rusty bottlecaps vs. non-ferrous targets is to switch to 5kHz or 10 kHz single freq. mode. Just as he said -- if your "low teens" target in multifrequency mode jumps into the 20s, it's rusty iron. If it stays somewhere in the teens -- a much smaller increase in ID number -- it's non-ferrous. I THINK there are clues in the tones/audio, as well, but I need more time to figure it out, as frankly I haven't dug many rusty caps at all -- partially because I haven't been targeting any "lower" ID numbers except the nickel "13" number in my parks. NONE of these rusty caps, in multifreq. mode, ID as silver/copper/clad coins (like they do on a single freq. unit, or like the Equinox in one of the single freq. modes). Finally, I have not tried the "does the tone go to iron near the toe of the coil" trick at all yet on this particular machine. I expect that it will work similar to other machines if you are running the EQ in single freq. mode. But, I don't know if it will behave that way in multi-freq. mode, or not. I'll try to test it next time I hunt, but -- like I say -- I simply haven't been digging rusty screw caps at all, and thus have very little "experience" with them -- which is a good thing! :)

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to add to my last post...

1. I just saw a video where in beach mode, anyway, which is of course running Multi-IQ, the "check the target near the toe of the coil and listen for iron grunts" trick DOES work, but you have to be sure to be running no disc., so as to see/hear the iron IDs. So it would seem this trick works in single-freq. mode AND in Multi-IQ (at least, in BEACH mode Multi-IQ).

2. It should be really easy to set up a custom mode under the user button on an 800 (haven't messed with custom modes/the user button yet) -- that runs in 5 kHz. Then while hunting in Multi-IQ mode, and you hit a possible rusty screw cap ID, just hit the user button, and check it in 5 kHz. You could toggle back and forth very quickly and easily, allowing a reliable, quick way to do a "rusty cap discrimination." You can obviously do the same check on the 600, but it would require a few additional clicks (of the frequency button -- since the 600 doesn't include the "user" button).

Steve

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to add to my last post...

1. I just saw a video where in beach mode, anyway, which is of course running Multi-IQ, the "check the target near the toe of the coil and listen for iron grunts" trick DOES work, but you have to be sure to be running no disc., so as to see/hear the iron IDs. So it would seem this trick works in single-freq. mode AND in Multi-IQ (at least, in BEACH mode Multi-IQ).

2. It should be really easy to set up a custom mode under the user button on an 800 (haven't messed with custom modes/the user button yet) -- that runs in 5 kHz. Then while hunting in Multi-IQ mode, and you hit a possible rusty screw cap ID, just hit the user button, and check it in 5 kHz. You could toggle back and forth very quickly and easily, allowing a reliable, quick way to do a "rusty cap discrimination." You can obviously do the same check on the 600, but it would require a few additional clicks (of the frequency button -- since the 600 doesn't include the "user" button).

Steve

Thanks for the info. I never use discrimination so this is quicker than looking at the screen when you come across them every 20 seconds.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, this is a new machine with a lot of options and combinations never available to the detectorist before in one machine. This is why I have not yet made a video. I want to KNOW I am putting out the right information, and that the info will benefit the new Equinox operator. I've had the machine since Feb. 14th, and I am STILL learning and trying new settings, notching, switching freqs; modes; tones...

I don't take anything away from, or disparage any NOX video out there. I just want my video's to be among the best. :skullflag:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, this is a new machine with a lot of options and combinations never available to the detectorist before in one machine. This is why I have not yet made a video. I want to KNOW I am putting out the right information, and that the info will benefit the new Equinox operator. I've had the machine since Feb. 14th, and I am STILL learning and trying new settings, notching, switching freqs; modes; tones...

I don't take anything away from, or disparage any NOX video out there. I just want my video's to be among the best. :skullflag:

I look forward to seeing what you produce, Terry!

Steve

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I anticipated that the Equinox would replace a lot of my machines. I reduced my arsenal to just a V3i, with the Equinox 600 arriving tomorrow, March 9th. I went back and forth over wether to go with the 600 or 800. I just didn't see enough of a benefit for the Gold mode in NY, even upstate where I am. I figure if I really like it as much as guys like Steve H and Terry I'll either go up to the 800 later on or if I ever find a place to hunt Gold I'll just buy a dedicated gold machine like the Gold Kruzer. My understanding is that in some modes on the 600 Multi-IQ does virtually as well on small gold as the 800 Gold mode in 20 or 40 anyway. I'm kinda sad to hear it replaced the F75 for Terry. It's one machine I'm regretting that I let go, if for no other reason than it's truly a legend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread