Equinox Tone Break 5-Tone Setting Thread for US Coin Shooters

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is for comparing notes on the best Tone Break settings for US coins in 5 Tone mode. I've been doing a ton of testing in the test garden and found the following settings to be particularly helpful for hearing the difference between some US silvers at varying depths. These settings allow me to look less at the screen and focus more on the sounds and the swing. They also give me clues at depth. There are exceptions and YMMV, but this is just a starting point!

T1 0
T2 12
T3 25
T4 29

Examples:

-A silver quarter will usually give a T5 (highest tone) up to 8". Deeper than 8" it will transition into double tone of T4/T5.

-A silver quarter ON EDGE will usually give a T4/T5 double tone 3" and deeper.

-A silver Rosie will give a T4 up to about 8". Deeper than 8" it will transition into a double tone of T3/T4.

-A silver Rosie ON EDGE will usually give a T3/T4 double-tone 3" and deeper.

The double-tones are the great advantage of all this, IMO.

For reference, I am using mostly Park2/Field 2, 22 sens, zero iron bias, 4 rec.

Unfortunately, mercs, barber dimes, clad dimes, and most copper pennies will all ring up in the 24/25 VID, so I haven't found a way or any nuance to distinguish between those coins. If you've found any tricks that are particularly helpful in this regard, please post here!

Please share your thoughts, settings, and experiences!

Will add notes for nickels later...

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting that I'm gonna try and develop a relic program from the 5 tones too.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea. I am not sure if I will use 5 or 50 tones. I will have to play around with it. I will keep an eye on this thread for sure.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and as you said it will vary between machines and the ground you are in.

So far with the adjustability of the tone breaks, volume of tones and tone itself I love it in 5 tone. I essentially make it 4 tone so everything 22 and over comes in in the highest tone possible. Makes it a great silver shooter and you can avoid zincs if you please by tone alone. It isn't as good as the etrac or ctx but darn close but with speed :)

As far as being able to tell a silver dime from clad it doesn't matter really on any machine. Depending on the where of the coin, the ground and orientation you have to dig them all

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Echoplex. I got my 800 last week but work and the Nor'easter have it resting in my basement. I am absolutely tone deaf so I hope this major investment wasn't a mistake on my part. Maybe I should wait for the machine that has an audio program that says "Dig here - It's a _____ (quarter, dime, etc.) LOL
HH
dts

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as being able to tell a silver dime from clad it doesn't matter really on any machine. Depending on the where of the coin, the ground and orientation you have to dig them all

I think I was spoiled by my other machine. I've always had great success cherry picking silvers with it and would rarely ever dig clad dimes or pennies. I'm sure I have missed silvers with this strategy, but I feel extremely happy with the results. The MXT had an great VDI system and was extremely reliable/repeatable. Unfortunately my spine is wrecked, so I have a sort of limited number of holes I can dig per day and limited time I can swing before I feel horrible. I can't go beast mode like I could a few years ago, so I need to prioritize targets. I'm hoping the Equinox will afford me the same ability, but have my doubts due to the small VID index. I understand the Equinox was not designed around US coins like the MXT, but hopefully tweaking tone breaks will help and we can all come up with a way to differentiate, with some probability, those smaller US coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread