Just got my new Nox 600, any news on when i can use it underwater?

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. Posted a "can't believe they launched it without a way to use it underwater" thread somewhere else, but figured the NOX thread was the best place to ask... has anyone heard of GreyGhost or Minelab "ship dates" for waterproof headphones that work with their proprietary headphone jack? It would seem you must use that threaded plug in order to keep the NOX waterproof when the control-unit is under water. I stare at the 600, then stare at the beach, and i simply see no way to use this thing deeper than the control-unit without having those proprietary headphones. So... anyone doing anything today, that gets them deeper in the water, or is everyone waiting on the headphones to be released by ML or GG or someone else, with the special threaded plug?

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there are ways to secure the jack or port without headphones. That's one of the first things I'll be working on when I get mine tomorrow. Then changing the straight rod to an S rod with a Makro arm rest.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
☠ Cipher;5732637 said:
I'm sure there are ways to secure the jack or port without headphones. That's one of the first things I'll be working on when I get mine tomorrow. Then changing the straight rod to an S rod with a Makro arm rest.

He meant with wired waterproof headphones attached using an adapter that are not designed to seal at the plug/jack interface. You have to use wired headphones of some type if the control head is underwater continuously, because bluetooth can't be used. I have a pair of waterproof BT ATPX headphones that can deal with getting dunked so I can hunt in water that doesn't continuously cover the control head but am not worried about splashes or dunking the control head momentarily because that will likely not disrupt the BT signal and the control head is waterproof no matter whether something or nothing is plugged into it (even if the plug does not mate and seal to the port connector) and whether or not the port covers are engaged because the control head headphone jack has a backshell seal that keeps water from intruding into the internal electronics. Though keeping the port cover on will protect the headphone jack contacts from corroding with time because it is hard to completely flush that port with fresh water.

OP
OP
GroundBalanced

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He meant with wired waterproof headphones attached using an adapter that are not designed to seal at the plug/jack interface. You have to use wired headphones of some type if the control head is underwater continuously, because bluetooth can't be used. I have a pair of waterproof BT ATPX headphones that can deal with getting dunked so I can hunt in water that doesn't continuously cover the control head but am not worried about splashes or dunking the control head momentarily because that will likely not disrupt the BT signal and the control head is waterproof no matter whether something or nothing is plugged into it (even if the plug does not mate and seal to the port connector) and whether or not the port covers are engaged because the control head headphone jack has a backshell seal that keeps water from intruding into the internal electronics. Though keeping the port cover on will protect the headphone jack contacts from corroding with time because it is hard to completely flush that port with fresh water.

vferrari,

Tks for the response. So the next logical question is.... what BT APTX (LL) bluetooth headphones do you have that are "waterproof"? Are you talking full ear-coverage, or some type of earbud/earclip gym-style headphones? I was able to find an APTX LL full ear headphone for land & shallow hunting (not waterproof) but didn't realize there was an aptx Low Latency headphone that was waterproof.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari,

Tks for the response. So the next logical question is.... what BT APTX (LL) bluetooth headphones do you have that are "waterproof"? Are you talking full ear-coverage, or some type of earbud/earclip gym-style headphones? I was able to find an APTX LL full ear headphone for land & shallow hunting (not waterproof) but didn't realize there was an aptx Low Latency headphone that was waterproof.

Yeah they are earclip style but just APT X as I said above not APT X LL. Have not had a chance to test them with the Equinox yet to determine how much lag I am dealing with, unfortunately. I have a backup solution, however, if that doesn't work but it involves the WM08 module. I have a pair of wired sports buds thst I can plug into the WM08 module. But since the module is not waterproof I have to deal it in a waterproof phone bag thst has a mini plug thst runs out through a grommet to a jack on the outer case. See below. Imagine the Deus remote as a WM08, lol.

20180218_092431.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GroundBalanced

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they are earclip style but just APT X as I said above not APT X LL. Have not had a chance to test them with the Equinox yet to determine how much lag I am dealing with, unfortunately. I have a backup solution, however, if that doesn't work but it involves the WM08 module. I have a pair of wired sports buds thst I can plug into the WM08 module. But since the module is not waterproof I have to deal it in a waterproof phone bag thst has a mini plug thst runs out through a grommet to a jack on the outer case. See below. Imagine the Deus remote as a WM08, lol.

View attachment 1563547

vferrari - ahhh, yes, I've seen those waterproof bags with the female connector available for headphones to your cellphone. Good solution if you have the WM08. I am running the Nox 600 so i didn't get the WM08 (I know u can buy separate). So i am kindof looking for something to use when i want to go deeper in-water than i feel comfortable with using my SR71's. I hope you find your APTX to work without too much latency for you!

Buddy_TX

Greenie
May 25, 2017
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
CZ 21
AT Pro
AT MAX
Whites TR Amphibian
Tesoro Stringray
Detector Pro Wader
Detector Pro Priate
Tesoro Silver Saber
Garret S1, S2, S3 (TR machines )
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I called Minelab two days ago, they said the adapter and waterproof headphones are still 6 to ten weeks away and they will post on their web site when they are ready to sell with the posted price of each.

longbowjtg

Mar 23, 2015
Litchfield, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used my 600 under water for a bit last weekend. I just drilled a hole just big enough for my wired headphone jack, through the provided dust cap. Stuck it in (tight fit), and proceeded to detect.
Didn't have any problems. If your jack fits loose in your drilled hole, I suppose you could caulk it in.

OP
OP
GroundBalanced

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks longbowjtg.... yeah the problem isn't that i can't go underwater with the 600, it's that i couldn't go underwater with any waterproof headphones. :) Are you saying you used some waterproof wired headphones to run it's wire thru the dustcap? That would definitely be an option but since i don't have ANY waterproof headphones yet, I'm trying to be patient. .... trying. Until then I am waist deep or less with my wireless SR71's. Which is ok because the water is still cold for my Florida blood. ha. tks for the response.

longbowjtg

Mar 23, 2015
Litchfield, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was using regular non waterproof wired headphones. I had the detector under water while detecting, not my headphones ! Allowed me to get a little deeper.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using regular non waterproof wired headphones. I had the detector under water while detecting, not my headphones ! Allowed me to get a little deeper.

If you notice any moisture in the cavity at all, then you will need to rinse out that headphone jack or the contacts will corrode.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use the vibrating feature on the equinox way better in water than the speaker

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use the vibrating feature on the equinox way better in water than the speaker

The equinox has vibrate? How would that even work? I mean that is fine on a pinpointer, but...

OP
OP
GroundBalanced

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fuceye - you must have a better manual than mine, or the 1000 series equinox. :) I kindof remember the KRUZER had a vibration mode.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just kidding

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions