Finally got an 800 first impressions

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's just a case of wanting the Equinox to dominate 100% of the time in 100% of all conditions. It stands to reason, that when the wind blows just right, and the soil is just so and so moist, and that target is sitting at just that particular angle and such and such iron is sitting in just the right position next to it, another detector will outshine the Equinox. For me, I just want the Equinox to, on average, out perform other detectors. For it to out perform other detectors 50 or 70 or 90 percent of scenario's thrown at it, well then, that there is progress...

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
video removed ... bouncy quarter issue has been resolved .. read further down

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you have a defective product?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That quarter thing is weird! I tried to replicate what you showed in the video in my backyard with a previously dug clad quarter and I can't. My machine nails it every time, on-edge buried and on-edge surface, and buried flat at 6", with solid numbers and tone. Absolutely no iron tones surround it either like in your video. So I wonder what the difference is. We have "good" ground here and I am usually balanced between 5-7. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. What were you balanced at? Oddly, when you were swinging over the quarter on the surface, I wasn't hearing the "double-beep" sound that I get either, since it is close to the coil. Out of curiosity, what are all your settings? Also check in case some sand or something has built up between the coil and the coil cover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I think I figured out what was happening!

This time I turned down the sensitivity to like 16, and THEN did noise cancel and ground balance... then turned it back up to 20.

Now it hits solidly on the quarter every time. If I put it perfectly on edge it struggles, but at a slight angle it's back to a solid hit.

Ground balancing in my yard gave zero before and after this, so it doesn't seem to be related to ground balance.

Running 3 tones makes it much easier to listen to.

Not sure if this is really WHY this happened but it's not doing it anymore.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread