is the equinox a deep seeking machine???

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gimmie a break , I dont work for minelab!!! I also dont sell minelabs either...
But in the "real test bed" conditions can change, some days the weather is hot and the soil dry, on other days it's cold and the soil is wet, maybe the conductivity changes, so how is this good for comparisons? You also don't know if the objects are still in place where you have buried them months or years ago. Earthworms, moles etc. can deepen or bring the metals upwards. In the video it's not comprehensible, how deep the targets really are, so there is also much room for manipulation (this is not an accusation, only in such videos I cannot believe what I can't see)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But in the "real test bed" conditions can change, some days the weather is hot and the soil dry, on other days it's cold and the soil is wet, maybe the conductivity changes, so how is this good for comparisons? You also don't know if the objects are still in place where you have buried them months or years ago. Earthworms, moles etc. can deepen or bring the metals upwards. In the video it's not comprehensible, how deep the targets really are, so there is also much room for manipulation (this is not an accusation, only in such videos I cannot believe what I can't see)

Jacza, everything you said above is true, their is no disputing that, However, the key word is "Test". In the field though everything changes. In some of the fine video's I've watched on T-Net, such as those by calabash, they can and do give a fella an idea of what he can/cannot expect from any given machine. Such as just how the audio response might be, or just how the VDI's might show, what setting might respond better in a given situation etc. We have all seen the "unpacking" of a detector, conclusion?, yes, they all arrive in a cardboard box. We have all seen "air test", for me, only tells what a detector sounds like in tone and pitch, and what a VDI# might read on any certain target (in the air) if you should see any floating around somewhere. In a video (such as calabash's) and others, comparing different machines in say a controlled test CAN BE very helpful AND informative in strong and weak points between any two, three or even four different detectors, and their have been some "eye openers". I read so much about Depth, Depth, Depth. If ALL you want is depth, then I would guess one would want a PI machine with the largest of coils, but that would be a nightmare in most types of hunting, and I read a lot of VDI accuracy, accuracy, accuracy!, Well again, if that is of most importance, then perhaps detecting over a large asphalt parking lot might be best, coins are flat and "shallow". Many video's can be somewhat annoying, and only show how some just like filming themselves, others though, (such as above) can be really helpful put out by some guys who have been around the block more than a few times with detectors, and is showing what he learns as he is learning it, and just how it just might compare with other well know machines. No such thing as a "Perfect" detector. Perfect for me would be one showing real pictures of what's in the ground, not icons, real pictures, like where you can read the brand of bottle cap, and with the press of a button "suck" the target out of the ground for me. We all have good detectors, and I think we all do pretty well. It's a hobby with us, should not be a competition. calabash's "test bed video?" Better than most I'd say.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next Thursday all tests end. Vferrari are doing a head to head on native relics in the worst dirt in the world.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, one thing I can say about you, and I'm sure others on here may agree: watching your Deus videos, I thought you may be a dyed in the wool, hardcore fanboy and that no other detector in the world would ever come close to your Deus, whether it really did rival it or not. I was wrong about you. Keep those tests coming...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to know if its as deep as a CZ21 or Excal in the wet sand and saltwater.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that one of those videos .... I scratch my head and wonder just how they had the deus setup.....then they find out there was coke in the hole. They should have redid the video on that test...

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch videos of funny animals, not people detecting. So many are just plain fakes (like the shiny buffalo nickels coming out of the ground). Too busy anyway.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting depth comparison with Deus and Multi Kruzer:

https://youtu.be/w_PNyR3Zidg?t=1m32s

So, which videos can we believe are fact and which are doctored up?

If there is one machine you could buy, test.....then unload without a loss it would be an Equinox. So instead of assuming, the best thing to do is see for yourself. Problem is just getting the darn thing to your doorstep! Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread