Two Equinox questions

JimNasium

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I have a couple of Equinox questions if you wouldn’t mind answering.

1. Does the Equinox break down fairly easily? And does it fit into a backpack? I don’t have a car, and usually bike, bus, or train to my location. I need it to be fairly portable.

2. The Equinox 600 has only two backlight settings. 1) Off and 2) high. I do a lot of night hunting, so I’m worried the backlight settings are going to be 1) Can’t see and 2) Eye meltingly bright. Can anyone confirm the high setting backlight isn’t going to be an annoyance at night?

Last edited by a moderator:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it breaks down to back pack size and the backlight is bright but I use a headlight at night and can see the screen when backlight is off even when using a red light.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. It fits completely broken down, but the lower shaft will stick out about 4-6 inches depending on the pack. That Dakine pack is a taller pack.

IMAG2037.jpg

2. It is BRIGHT and will probably hurt your night vision. Personally, I could not use the bright setting on my 800 unless it was around dusk or dawn. The 800's dim (low) setting is perfect for deep night.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw, you can trim maybe an inch off that lower shaft. Probably not worth it though.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone! I have a couple of Equinox questions if you wouldn’t mind answering.

1. Does the Equinox break down fairly easily? And does it fit into a backpack? I don’t have a car, and usually bike, bus, or train to my location. I need it to be fairly portable.

2. The Equinox 600 has only two backlight settings. 1) Off and 2) high. I do a lot of night hunting, so I’m worried the backlight settings are going to be 1) Can’t see and 2) Eye meltingly bright. Can anyone confirm the high setting backlight isn’t going to be an annoyance at night?

The backlight on the 600 is bright. I have an 800 and the brightest setting is blinding at night. The middle setting is still too bright. I run the lowest setting on my 800 and honestly I STILL find it too bright for night hunting, but it's useable.

There is a simple solution. Get a piece of transparent vinyl film and make a red filter for the screen. You can use two layers if you need to, to reduce the brightness and the red will preserve your night vision. This is how amateur astronomers use laptops under dark skies to do astro imaging.

Last edited:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, I took a picture of me using the Bright setting on the Nox:

wallpaper-1805374.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an alien invasion! Boy, that's bright. At least everyone within 5 miles around will know you are out there.

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The backlight on the 600 is bright. I have an 800 and the brightest setting is blinding at night. The middle setting is still too bright. I run the lowest setting on my 800 and honestly I STILL find it too bright for night hunting, but it's useable.

There is a simple solution. Get a piece of transparent vinyl film and make a red filter for the screen. You can use two layers if you need to, to reduce the brightness and the red will preserve your night vision. This is how amateur astronomers use laptops under dark skies to do astro imaging.

That is a very good suggestion, that I am going to try. The other day, it was getting dark and I indeed found the 600's screen too bright.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My back pack the lower shaft just fits completely inside. Easy to break down. Back light adjustable and really good. Well I have experience with the 800 though.

OP
OP
JimNasium

JimNasium

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. It fits completely broken down, but the lower shaft will stick out about 4-6 inches depending on the pack. That Dakine pack is a taller pack.

View attachment 1563816

2. It is BRIGHT and will probably hurt your night vision. Personally, I could not use the bright setting on my 800 unless it was around dusk or dawn. The 800's dim (low) setting is perfect for deep night.

That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an alien invasion! Boy, that's bright. At least everyone within 5 miles around will know you are out there.

Duhhh..
That’s so you can shine it towards thehole and retrieve your treasure with ease in complete darkness without having to carry a flash light...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do night digging. Too many monsters around here.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah its bright. Glad I can turn it down for post twilight hunting.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am considering upgrading to the 800 because I cannot adjust the 600 brightness down. Waaaay to bright for me. Although I did turn the detector upside-down and used it as a flashlight to find my hand digger left behind!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
While I do have the 800 and can think of many more features that I am glad I have to play with if that is your only issue I find it hard to believe you are considering spending that extra money just to solve this one issue when there are much cheaper solutions.
Look into photographic gels...plastic sheets or film in many different colors you can buy that photographers use to change hues and soften or dim lights.
One piece of an 11" sheet of grey or smoke color cut up and taped to your screen should fix your problem.

Video Production Tip: Using Color Correcting Gels - GeniusDV Training

That is unless this was just a joke, of course, if that is the case then....uh...ha ha.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at it from a financial viewpoint you are better off buying the 800 every time. You can sell the headphones and wireless module for around $200 and still have all the features and performance of the 800. To me it is a no brainer.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I do have the 800 and can think of many more features that I am glad I have to play with if that is your only issue I find it hard to believe you are considering spending that extra money just to solve this one issue when there are much cheaper solutions.
Look into photographic gels...plastic sheets or film in many different colors you can buy that photographers use to change hues and soften or dim lights.
One piece of an 11" sheet of grey or smoke color cut up and taped to your screen should fix your problem.

Video Production Tip: Using Color Correcting Gels - GeniusDV Training

That is unless this was just a joke, of course, if that is the case then....uh...ha ha.

You might even want to look into a red gel screen cover that will preserve your night vision.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red helps me night fishing, red globe on a coleman 242 lantern! If you can afford the 800 I'd get it but the 600 has the main deal, Multi frequency. and the film covers would work fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread