flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried a silver chain and a gold chain, and neither are picked up by my 800.

The only think it WILL pick up is the clasp, or pendant.

So whats the secret or was this an unusually thick chain we see in the youtube video, or was he actually picking up the clasp?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to park 2 and try it..

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It won't pick up super thin ones like one my wife has that is about a quarter mm and the chain weighs only 0.7 grams. However, it screams on the 2 mm one that's 2.1 grams. I don't have anything in between to test.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thanks both my chains are pretty thin. I wasn't surprised when it didn't get them.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hit a pretty thin one on a test we did. The ctx and etrac couldn't see it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it hits them in gold mode and single high freq...not in beach mode.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also suggest the gold mode.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold mode is unusable on the beach. It falses every swing.

Unusable in the water but gold chains also get dropped in the sand and wet sand too. I was able to use gold mode on the sand. Haven't found a chain, but have found small gold on the dry sand. Beach mode is hitting deep nickels in the wet sand consistently >1 ft. It is only matter of time that I hit gold once I can get in the water.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unusable in the water but gold chains also get dropped in the sand and wet sand too. I was able to use gold mode on the sand. Haven't found a chain, but have found small gold on the dry sand. Beach mode is hitting deep nickels in the wet sand consistently >1 ft. It is only matter of time that I hit gold once I can get in the water.

Gold mode in dry sand hits on every target like a PI machine. Not very useful! Field 1 or 2 is more useful in the dry sand for looking for chains.

Beach 2 is def going deep!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold mode in dry sand hits on every target like a PI machine. Not very useful! Field 1 or 2 is more useful in the dry sand for looking for chains.

PI’s don’t have target ID, so no it is not like a PI. You can also use discrimination in Gold Mode, unlike most PI’s so it doesn’t “hit on everything”. You may be reacting to the VCO type audio which doesn’t provide ID info like multi-tone modes but it does clue you in on smaller targets better, like tiny jewelry and performs better in highly mineralized soils (think relic hunting), so it has its uses besides gold prospecting on dry sand and red clay, alike. VCO type audio is not for everyone and doesn’t give you tone based ID but that doesn’t mean Gold Mode is a dig everything Mode. With both the VDI and Disc you can make a dig decision with more sophisticated information than the ferrous/non ferrous and/or high/low conductor info a PI gives you.

Agree, however, that it cannot be used in wet sand/surf but that is really true of the other Equinox non-beach modes as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Depends on the beach conditions I guess. The beach I was at is littered with bits of foil, rust flakes, and the sand was damp. It was not working well... on the tide line I couldn't be used at all. I'll experiment with it some more.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use GM on dry sand only. Agree, fuggetaboutit on wet salt sand/tide line. It would be like having a beach mode that detects salt (literally). IOW it is indeed useless there. And yes if the tiny stuff is driving you nuts, then GM not a good choice. However, on pristine sugar sand with rich folks who don’t like chewing gum, cannned beverages, or catsup packets but who are dropping gold chains and jewelry everywhere...it might just be the ticket. Lol.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use GM on dry sand only. Agree, fuggetaboutit on wet salt sand/tide line. It would be like having a beach mode that detects salt (literally). IOW it is indeed useless there. And yes if the tiny stuff is driving you nuts, then GM not a good choice. However, on pristine sugar sand with rich folks who don’t like chewing gum, cannned beverages, or catsup packets but who are dropping gold chains and jewelry everywhere...it might just be the ticket. Lol.

And where is this mythical...
"rich folks who don’t like chewing gum, cannned beverages, or catsup packets but who are dropping gold chains and jewelry everywhere" beach ?

Because I have been searching for it for over 40 years. heh

:P

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were at the beach yesterday and we made a video which will be on YouTube soon showing the Equinox in Beach 1 Mode easily picking up chains in the wet sand and in the water as well.
Another friend of mine did a video which you can find here:

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"rich folks who don’t like chewing gum, cannned beverages, or catsup packets but who are dropping gold chains and jewelry everywhere" beach ?

The same mythical place where detectors can discriminate between aluminum junk and gold. Lol.

compass

Jan 31, 2011
Southern Cal
Detector(s) used
White's TDI BeachHunter, Dual Field and Pi Pro. Minelab Excalibur and Equinox 800. Fisher Aquanaut.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If I'm not mistaken, Field 1 and 2 rejects target ID numbers 1 and 2- an area where small gold chains may fall. ???

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know one thing and that is.. It is NOT in Florida lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 inch nickels will lead to gold in your future...:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions