Equinox v. AT-Pro - Physical

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that have received and used the Equinox and also have used an AT-Pro, can you comment on the weight comparison and the balance between the 2 machines ?

I have used an AT-Pro for the past 3 years. Love the capabilities of it but after using it about 90 mins the weight gets to me.

Is the weight and balance of the Equinox significantly different and/or noticeable as compared with an AT-Pro ?

It certainly looks lighter from what I can see but i understand weight isn't everything either. I've never used a straight shaft machine so the Equinox balance and feel in hand is a mystery to me. Wondering if its time to look into a new machine..

Thanks,
Bud

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO - ‘NOX - XP DEUS

It’s SLIGHTLY light but not as light as a XP Deus. If swinging an at for 90 minutes gets you tired the Nox will be an SLIGHT improvement in weight but It’s very well balanced.

WEIGHT
AT PRO 3.03 pounds
EQUINOX. 2.96 pounds
XP DEUS 2.17

Great video about all 3 machines and depth test

DAAAD8FF-D675-4FF7-B0ED-64205C6D2E3C.jpeg 94922FEC-70B8-4016-961E-CC2AAE532E2F.jpeg
C6BC2FBC-0446-40E8-8453-A7CABAFECDA4.jpeg

Good Luck

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro would make my hand cramp up after awhile. The Equinox hasn't done that. As for weight I think the equinox may be slightly lighter. The AT Pro felt a little more nose heavy but I'm going from memory.. I sold my AT Pro to get the Equinox.

It actually sounds kinda like an AT Pro but without the crazy chatter and with more tone options.

Last edited:

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the AT Pro for 3 years. I now have the Nox 800. I hunted for 8 hours straight the first day with no issues. I have hunted 2 more times since. I love the feel and balance personally. I would say it is easier to swing than at pro stock coil vs stock coil.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Deus, had the Pro, Obnoxious (can't help it) 600 arriving Monday. While I didn't NEED another machine, I got bored the other day. When I "test drove" a nox in the fall it was nose heavy. I did NOT have the opportunity to adjust the shaft, that might have made a difference, and also noticed there was some slop in the swing. Don't know WHY they didn't put a "S" handle on the upper part. Doing a real world test next weekend with some real pros.

For Minelab, this is a step in the right direction from some of the ultra heavy machine they sell. Micro circuity exists, guys! Hello!

OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.. I think an 600/800 is in my future.

Bud

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Equinox is easier to swing than the 3 AT Pros I’ve owned. As Scoop mentioned above its slightly less nose heavy.
On the other hand, if you have any shoulder, wrist or hand issues, like from arthritis, you will feel it.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Deus, had the Pro, Obnoxious (can't help it) 600 arriving Monday. While I didn't NEED another machine, I got bored the other day. When I "test drove" a nox in the fall it was nose heavy. I did NOT have the opportunity to adjust the shaft, that might have made a difference, and also noticed there was some slop in the swing. Don't know WHY they didn't put a "S" handle on the upper part. Doing a real world test next weekend with some real pros.

For Minelab, this is a step in the right direction from some of the ultra heavy machine they sell. Micro circuity exists, guys! Hello!

It feels very nose heavy if you have the shaft too far out. You should be able to swing from your shoulder not your elbow. At least thats how I swing. When I lengthen the shaft even one notch to cover more sand, it starts to feel heavy. Shorten it back up and it feels fine.

One issue I found is that the cuff is too wide for my arm and it makes short rapid target check swings sort of wobbly.. I know it's wide because weather is a bit colder where these are manufactured. I'm going to warm my cuff up (gently) with a heat gun and bend it in a little to make it a little smaller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread