Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great video, I noticed that you had the iron bias set on 2 on the 600 which corresponds to 4 on the 800, I tried 2 on my 600 and it definitely affected the signals and I noticed 1 which corresponds to 2 on the 800 does better, you also get less depth with it set higher

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I didn't catch that,, thought it was just recovery speed settings... well that might explain some of my depth test results where the 800 was a little better...

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks I didn't catch that,, thought it was just recovery speed settings... well that might explain some of my depth test results where the 800 was a little better...

No problem, I figured that out when I was doing some testing.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"That's like hackin' bushes"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great test Calabash. I was waiting for that Demo. The "higher" iron bias setting on the 600 probably affected that 5" dime + nails response but still diggable.

The depth impact of recovery speed is generally overblown and is minimal at the high end settings (6-8) where you typically want them to be. I don't see myself going below 5 or 6 at all. There is no point crippling the machine by choosing the lower recovery speed settings. It provides minimal, if any, depth advantage and significantly increases ground noise such that the S/N ratio actually goes down and affects your ability to hear the deep targets. I think ML optimized the recovery speed settings near the high end which is slightly different than the Deus where the optimal recovery speed settings are closer to the middle.

As you can see, the iron bias setting can have a significant affect on shallow targets surrounded by iron. I am probably going to run with iron bias off most of the time.

Last edited:

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great test Calabash. I was waiting for that Demo. The "higher" iron bias setting on the 600 probably affected that 5" dime + nails response but still diggable.

The depth impact of recovery speed is generally overblown and is minimal at the high end settings (6-8) where you typically want them to be. I don't see myself going below 5 or 6 at all. There is no point crippling the machine by choosing the lower recovery speed settings. It provides minimal, if any, depth advantage and significantly increases ground noise such that the S/N ratio actually goes down and affects your ability to hear the deep targets. I think ML optimized the recovery speed settings near the high end which is slightly different than the Deus where the optimal recovery speed settings are closer to the middle.

As you can see, the iron bias setting can have a significant affect on shallow targets surrounded by iron. I am probably going to run with iron bias off most of the time.

Have you noticed much difference between 6, 7 and 8 ? Just wondering as that is one of several features why I want to get the 800.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like 7 for thick stuff and 6 for general..

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool video” thanx for this hands on test. Nothing like a real non biased test.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread