equinox 600 and 800 iron high iron bias..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your welcome thanks for pointing it out! They would have egged me... lol

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another blockbuster release from Calabash Digger productions. Thanks for doing the comparison that many have been waiting to see, Calabash. Even without the apples to oranges iron bias settings between the two, I saw enough to know that the 600 a very capable machine for most folks. You would have to be in the most extreme of iron conditions (your "bed of nails" reference) for it to make much of a difference and even then, you could still hunt there with the 600 and have some success, most likely.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great informational video, thanks for sharing! :occasion14:

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have missed it, and perhaps you didn't hit it in the video due to the iron bias setting but...

Did the 600 hit on your open gold earrings? Wondering about small gold performance with missing 20/40khz

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my limited experience with my 600, youre gonna wann run at least some iron bias. I guess you will lose some depth or separation but the falsing in iron is a problem without it. It will still false on some iron even with it set to 2 or even higher. I would not worry about it not hitting very low conducters. It has no problem with that in multi mode

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have missed it, and perhaps you didn't hit it in the video due to the iron bias setting but...

Did the 600 hit on your open gold earrings? Wondering about small gold performance with missing 20/40khz

When 600 is ran in Multi-IQ it is running all the same frequencies as the 800, it is only in single freq that it lacks the 20 and 40 khz. In Multi-IQ 600 still sees small open gold earrings.

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When 600 is ran in Multi-IQ it is running all the same frequencies as the 800, it is only in single freq that it lacks the 20 and 40 khz. In Multi-IQ 600 still sees small open gold earrings.

I dont believe this is true according to this diagram:

Capture.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont believe this is true according to this diagram:

View attachment 1568053

Not only true, it is fact, you can take it to the bank, when in Multi-IQ they are identical in frequencies used, 600 only limits the selectable frequencies, it changes nothing in Multi-IQ, your mixing up selectable frequencies with Multi-IQ

From Minelab Website.

Multi-IQ Most of the confusion I have seen online revolves around Minelab’s new Multi-IQ simultaneous multi-frequency technology and the frequencies employed by the two detectors. The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies, while the EQUINOX 800 also offers these plus the additional higher frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz. This does not mean that the 600 is not employing the full multi-frequency range as part of the Multi-IQ processing. Multi-frequency operation is identical in the two models and provides the same maximum signal response to targets in Park, Field and Beach Detect Modes., The real magic of EQUINOX is in the Multi-IQ technology (not the single frequencies), therefore you can rest assured the EQUINOX 600 matches the EQUINOX 800 in this regard.​

https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

Last edited:

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you for all that info. I feel much better about choosing the 600 now. Their marketing material is borderline misleading on this... it is only if you read the REALLY small print that you will find out that multi is the same across both platforms, and that it is only the single channel that is unavailable. I swear I saw a diagram somewhere just like the one below that only had 5,10,15 highlighted. Cant seem to find it now, so maybe I just dreamed it :):

Capture.JPG

EDIT: Found it, but cant find it on the Minelab site. Maybe they removed it due to confusion. If so, good on them

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you for all that info. I feel much better about choosing the 600 now. Their marketing material is borderline misleading on this... it is only if you read the REALLY small print that you will find out that multi is the same across both platforms, and that it is only the single channel that is unavailable. I swear I saw a diagram somewhere just like the one below that only had 5,10,15 highlighted. Cant seem to find it now, so maybe I just dreamed it :):

View attachment 1568069

EDIT: Found it, but cant find it on the Minelab site. Maybe they removed it due to confusion. If so, good on them

View attachment 1568071

If you click on my link it shows it on Minelabs site.

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you click on my link it shows it on Minelabs site.

Ahhh yes. They should definitely remove that then lol. I was half tempted to cancel my 600 and order an 800 last night when I was all confused! Could barely sleep!

Today I am happy with my decision on the 600 again. I want to use earbuds, dont like playing with granular settings, and will likely never go gold prospecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread