Is it worth it?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spoke to a dealer about the Equinox 800 he was telling me they are selling for $1400 on eBay. I'm sorry but $1400 for the 800 I for one do not think it is worth it I understand supply and demand but this is getting somewhat out of hand. At $1400 I will purchase the Deus I know I can get the Deus for $1400 plus even if I have to pay 1500 plus I will. I realize the Deus it is not a water machine I do not hunt in the water that often when I do I have a water machine for that. Personally, I think the Deus is a better machine at $1400 than the Nox. I for one will be glad when this all settles down and gets back to some semblances of order. Wait a few months and all these that have gone out paid high dollars for the Nox will be getting rid of them at a lost or they will be gathhering dust when they find out the Nox is not a magic wand that will make silver and gold chains appear where they never where. Just my two cents worth on all the hype. By the way to clarify I'm not a Deus owner have been on the fence about the Equinox and Deus I would pay the 1400 plus for the Deus before I would pay the same for the Equinox just my 2 cents on that.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its nothing more than FOMO (fear of missing out). People like what the design and features represent, as well as new technology from a proven company, and the reports from the first wave of user, then make it very hard to get hands on one. Some people have more cash than rational thought or patience.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you physically need the lighter compact Deus or travel a lot, get the Equinox. From a Deus user... Much better all around machine and bang for your buck. I don't frequently water hunt, but am considering it now. But as far as beach hunting is concerned, the Equinox destroys Deus in the wet sand, trust me. Deus is nice and sparky, hard to hear the faint deep targets. Equinox is quiet as a mouse until it bangs on a deep coin, and then look out. Pulled all denominations 10+" down in the wet sand. It is banging on deep nickels, which means that deep gold can't be far behind. Multi IQ blows Deus single frequency out of the water. We'll see how it does in mineralized soil next week. The Deus may have the upper hand with their HF coils under certain conditions but Equinox is the only machine out there that appears to match the Deus on recovery speed. Pretty impressive.

Now if you already have a Deus, the big question is whether to invest in an HF coil or get an Equinox. I would probably get the HF coil but the Equinox 600 at $649 makes me think about it. Fortunately, I am able to afford the Equinox even though I have the Deus. I plan on keeping the Deus for the HF coil capabilities that Equinox does not have due to it's lower upper frequency limit. But Equinox has a good portion of Deus territory covered save for portability and weight.

And, yeah, don't pay any more than MAP for an Equinox. That eBay price is for real suckers. Gawd, one born every minute. Waahh I need my XBOX now!!!! I mean c'mon really folks, show some restraint.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoke to a dealer about the Equinox 800 he was telling me they are selling for $1400 on eBay. I'm sorry but $1400 for the 800 I for one do not think it is worth it I understand supply and demand but this is getting somewhat out of hand. At $1400 I will purchase the Deus I know I can get the Deus for $1400 plus even if I have to pay 1500 plus I will. I realize the Deus it is not a water machine I do not hunt in the water that often when I do I have a water machine for that. Personally, I think the Deus is a better machine at $1400 than the Nox. I for one will be glad when this all settles down and gets back to some semblances of order. Wait a few months and all these that have gone out paid high dollars for the Nox will be getting rid of them at a lost or they will be gathhering dust when they find out the Nox is not a magic wand that will make silver and gold chains appear where they never where. Just my two cents worth on all the hype. By the way to clarify I'm not a Deus owner have been on the fence about the Equinox and Deus I would pay the 1400 plus for the Deus before I would pay the same for the Equinox just my 2 cents on that.

No reason to pay 1400.00, just wait about a month or two more and you'll be able to get one from a dealer. A lot of people on here even scoring them even though they didn't pre-order.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal2k on a serious note get you a 800 you will love it. It really blows the AT SERIES away.... I'm not just garrett bashing I'm stating facts ...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to consider, the Equinox weighs about a pound more than the Deus. If you have a hard time swinging, take that into consideration. I have a hard time swinging anymore. I ordered a 600 and it will be here tomorrow. It will be a single use salt water machine at least for now, and the Deus is the go to machine. I love the Deus. At under 2 pounds and REALLY wireless, it's a breeze to use. I hear good things about the Equinox but would not pay a premium for one. My 600 took 7 days from order to delivery. I don't get any military discount and paid sales tax, but that's the law. I got mine from Cabellas. You have to watch their website frequently. They are there, then sold out again. May have 800's there also.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong but I don't think the equinox is a pound heavier than the Deus....I am thinking I heard like a few ounces difference, which I will gladly take for the benefit of (in my opinion) a wired coil. Benefits being not having to charge it and much cheaper additional coils. There is no comparison of detectors in wet sand when it comes to multi frequency vs single. So for me the equinox is a machine that I WILL own just as soon as I can get my hands on one. And I will wait a month before I over pay. I think this machine will benefit all of us as it has made the other companies reevaluate their machines features versus price.

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nintendo

Sometimes I think of what nintendo has done with their mini super nintendo, You can not find them unless you want to go over the top in paying almost double . So if this company cant seem to keep up with their product it just makes me suspicious that it might be using the same tactics as nintendo. Just not right

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Hal2k Wait some months and you will get it for 400$ on ebay. ;)

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Use what you have until they are stocked well everywhere you go. I say anywhere from 1 to 6 months they will be in good supply at dealers to buy off the shelf. And more data will be available on it with all the users that already have theirs, which will help you make your decision. I am in no hurry, I will wait for them to be in stock.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use what you have until they are stocked well everywhere you go. I say anywhere from 1 to 6 months they will be in good supply at dealers to buy off the shelf. And more data will be available on it with all the users that already have theirs, which will help you make your decision. I am in no hurry, I will wait for them to be in stock.

I agree I can wait have a good machine now, not going to pay over retail.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it depends on what your time is worth. I work from home as a software engineer... it's easier for me to make an extra $300 than it is to wait 3 months. This is why I upgraded from the 600 to the 800, and then finally broke down and purchased an 800 on ebay for $1300.

I have no regrets over the price. While everyone else is waiting for their machine, I'm cleaning the beach of deep coins and jewelry. My dealer was telling me May or June :P Cancelled that order and drove across the state and had it the same day. You MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK.

I just got notice that my second EQ800 is shipping from Cabelas... it will be for sale for $1300. Guarantee it will sell quickly.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it depends on what your time is worth. I work from home as a software engineer... it's easier for me to make an extra $300 than it is to wait 3 months. This is why I upgraded from the 600 to the 800, and then finally broke down and purchased an 800 on ebay for $1300.

I have no regrets over the price. While everyone else is waiting for their machine, I'm cleaning the beach of deep coins and jewelry. My dealer was telling me May or June :P Cancelled that order and drove across the state and had it the same day. You MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK.

I just got notice that my second EQ800 is shipping from Cabelas... it will be for sale for $1300. Guarantee it will sell quickly.

You sir, deserve a "real men of genius" award!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I should have mentioned I upgraded my pre-order I didn't actually buy a 600 and then an 800! That would be nuts even for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread