Minelab please add Pitch Hold!! And lack of charger rant!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got my Nox last night and I agree on both issue's about the manual (The included quick start guide is sufficient for most) and charger. (I think the DVD is a great idea! I'm sure Branden Niece would be happy to make them one and it would probably be well done)
Now just so happens I work in I.T. so I have chargers everywhere and the manual is no big deal for me to download or print. Coming from using the Vaquero though I spent last night playing in the house because we had 6 inches of snow learning the menu system on the Nox. I would not recommend this machine to an old timer! My father in law is in his 60's and he can barely use an iphone and run a remote for his TV, this is not the machine I would recommend for him.

Having said all of that my first computer in 1994 my uncle bought me cost three times as much as the NOX and that didn't include a monitor, printer, or software. So I'm amazed at how far we have come for the money.

My best guess on why they did not include a charger is because it looks like they packed these to be sent all over the world. That is why mine has 30 screen covers in different languages (Does anyone still speak Navajo ?)

Look on the bright side you get a 10,000 lumens backlight! Neighbors probably thought I was running a combine in the snow last night. I would like to see a firmware upgrade that would allow a dimmer on the Nox600.

Yeah the brightness of the backlight on the 600 is absurd. How anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why mine has 30 screen covers in different languages (Does anyone still speak Navajo ?)

The manual does reference the screen covers. It says "For screen protectors in languages you will not use, cut the black section off carefully with sharp scissors, and then apply as usual". So they've given you a bunch of replaceable protectors in the box. Nice!

My best guess on why they did not include a charger is because it looks like they packed these to be sent all over the world.

As someone who has worked and travelled all over the world, it would be one big headache for Minelab to have to include a charger for each specific country it ships to...and not knowing where they will eventually end up. The outlets, plugs, Hz, voltages are different all over the world. There is no one-size-fits-all. It would be prohibitively expensive for the company to try and include the "proper" charger for every country their detectors end up in, and with the mass availability of USB chargers now in virtually every electronics and big-box stores, it really isn't an issue.

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manual does reference the screen covers. It says "For screen protectors in languages you will not use, cut the black section off carefully with sharp scissors, and then apply as usual". So they've given you a bunch of replaceable protectors in the box. Nice!

I hadn't seen that. That's pretty sweet and thanks for pointing it out to me.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More and more companies are going to electronic manuals. There are good reasons.

1. It allows for instant changes to the manual and new functions when added, without having to re-print for existing customers. Simple email to registered users would alert them to new changes/additions.
2. The Equinox will eventually be able to accept firmware/software upgrades via computer, and that will need whole new chapters and updates to the manual.
3. Saves printing costs by the manufacturer. That means equipment, labor, and other overhead. Allows for lower prices to the end-user.
4. Environmentally sound decision. Trees and consumables.
5. Allows for people to download and read the manual prior to purchasing or decision making and comparisons.
6. Cost prohibitive to PRINT full manuals in the 20 languages that they already have the printed starting guide printed in.
7. It is 2018, not 1960! Get used to it!

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who has worked and travelled all over the world, it would be one big headache for Minelab to have to include a charger for each specific country it ships to...and not knowing where they will eventually end up. The outlets, plugs, Hz, voltages are different all over the world. There is no one-size-fits-all. It would be prohibitively expensive for the company to try and include the "proper" charger for every country their detectors end up in, and with the mass availability of USB chargers now in virtually every electronics and big-box stores, it really isn't an issue.

Nah, about 5 minutes worth of effort on Minelab's part would have solved this headache for every possible buyer. I bet they could have one made for <$5:

https://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_698089.html

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, about 5 minutes worth of effort on Minelab's part would have solved this headache for every possible buyer. I bet they could have one made for <$5:

https://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_698089.html

You go ahead and use those cheap converters. The number of people who have started hotel fires, blown up their hard drives, and seen other kinds of electrical damage from this kind of adapter is legend.

They don't have sophisticated circuitry to protect against over charging, voltage spikes, or other conditions. I've used them in the past, but never again.

No manufacturer that I know of supplies adapters like this. Some electrical systems like laptops can switch between 110v and 220v, but can't convert 50Hz to 60Hz either way as used in different countries. We are not talking about powering the machine. This is for CHARGING the batteries in the machine, and Lithium batteries are already fragile. It's why they are not allowed in the baggage compartment of airlines...only in carryon bags, and even then, not all lithium batteries. (Many airlines will only allow in carry-on if the batteries are installed in the designated equipment (Laptops, etc..). They can't be carried loose. It's why the airlines have banned hoverboards from any air travel.

Last edited:

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You go ahead and use those cheap converters. The number of people who have started hotel fires, blown up their hard drives, and seen other kinds of electrical damage from this kind of adapter is legend.

They don't have sophisticated circuitry to protect against over charging, voltage spikes, or other conditions. I've used them in the past, but never again.

No manufacturer that I know of supplies adapters like this. Some electrical systems like laptops can switch between 110v and 220v, but can't convert 50Hz to 60Hz either way as used in different countries. We are not talking about powering the machine. This is for CHARGING the batteries in the machine, and Lithium batteries are already fragile. It's why they are not allowed in the baggage compartment of airlines...only in carryon bags, and even then, not all lithium batteries. (Many airlines will only allow in carry-on if the batteries are installed in the designated equipment (Laptops, etc..). They can't be carried loose. It's why the airlines have banned hoverboards from any air travel.

Sorry, wrong again. There is an internal charge controller to handle overcharge and voltage regulation on the internal lipo battery. You cant just strap 5v to a 1cell lipo...

Your bias is not allowing you to accept that Minelab should have included a <$5 charger.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually read this entire thread. I complained to my mom that it wasted 3 minutes of my life . She gave me milk and cookies.

Im sure with a firmware update she can bring you whiskey and steak...

Is anybody listening?

Chub

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure with a firmware update she can bring you whiskey and steak...

Is anybody listening?

Chub

Well, she did buy me a Supreme Pizza the other night. All I had to do was pick up her mail from the post office and carry two weed wackers into the basement. It ain't steak, but it'll play...

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listening to these complaints really makes me realize just how good the equinox is. The only complaints people can come up with are "no paper manual" and "where is the wall charger?" Lol. I must have about 10 devices in my house with these chargers already. I get 2 with every Samsung phone. And regarding the manual...what is this 1955?? I can bring it up on my phone or tablet anytime anywhere. I can bring it up on my laptop computer. I could even browse through it on my smart tv while lounging on the couch. I think maybe minelab thought most of us were living in the 21st century. Going green and saving paper and such is a huge deal to many these days as well so minelab is on the right track there.

I have not seen many ACTUAL complaints about the machine or its performance yet which says a lot to me.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'll chime in hopefully for the last time on the Equinox. I DID go detecting today and NOT with the Equinox. I used the Deus, but also took my Vaquero which loves the beach. Went to a salt water beach subject to four nor' easters this month and scored a very old 8 reale Spanish cob. That's another story.

Re: the Equinox. I fell for some of the hype and bought a 600. Oh well. After careful consideration, with nothing to do with the manual or charger, I wasn't bothered by that...well...this cat is getting older and I digress. Older than dirt itself. I suppose the manufacturer went for "cheap" on the ergonomics of the machine. It is nose heavy with the 11" loop. I knew that, but thought, never mind, maybe I was imagining that when I tested one out in the fall. Well, dag nabbit, it is nose heavy and sloppy with that straight shaft. Why no "S" shaft guys? Come on, the 19th century is over. It made my shoulder hurt after 15 minutes. This for old toads is bad news.

I also found in hot ground with lots of small and mid size iron in it, the loop is too big for my type of relic hunting. The audio response was too consistent, at least for me, and I had to rely on the VDI for target identification. With 6 or so targets under the 11" loop, that was impossible.

I certainly do not need a "dig everything" machine. I already have one of those. Now the Equinox is probably going to do very well in some circumstances, like parts of the South where the dirt has very little mineralization, and Terry likes his at the beach. Parks, probably. I do not do parks.

Bottom line....I S O L D I T! It just wasn't going to work in my area and I don't need another thing in my closet. The end.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you promise you wont post again?

Chub

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I'll chime in hopefully for the last time on the Equinox. I DID go detecting today and NOT with the Equinox. I used the Deus, but also took my Vaquero which loves the beach. Went to a salt water beach subject to four nor' easters this month and scored a very old 8 reale Spanish cob. That's another story.

Re: the Equinox. I fell for some of the hype and bought a 600. Oh well. After careful consideration, with nothing to do with the manual or charger, I wasn't bothered by that...well...this cat is getting older and I digress. Older than dirt itself. I suppose the manufacturer went for "cheap" on the ergonomics of the machine. It is nose heavy with the 11" loop. I knew that, but thought, never mind, maybe I was imagining that when I tested one out in the fall. Well, dag nabbit, it is nose heavy and sloppy with that straight shaft. Why no "S" shaft guys? Come on, the 19th century is over. It made my shoulder hurt after 15 minutes. This for old toads is bad news.

I also found in hot ground with lots of small and mid size iron in it, the loop is too big for my type of relic hunting. The audio response was too consistent, at least for me, and I had to rely on the VDI for target identification. With 6 or so targets under the 11" loop, that was impossible.

I certainly do not need a "dig everything" machine. I already have one of those. Now the Equinox is probably going to do very well in some circumstances, like parts of the South where the dirt has very little mineralization, and Terry likes his at the beach. Parks, probably. I do not do parks.

Bottom line....I S O L D I T! It just wasn't going to work in my area and I don't need another thing in my closet. The end.

It's a DD coil. 6 targets under the coil doesn't matter... this is the advantage of DD coils... you can separate them. I think you should have spent some time to learn the machine, but you sold it so no point in discussing any further. sloppiness due to cuff not shaft.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure how old you are Smokey, I'm 69 and I had no problem swinging the proto model when I was testing it, Nox is 2.8 pounds which is fairly light. I do plan on modifying mine and add an extension to my straight shaft, I have no desire for an S-Shaft at all. "Audio response too consistent", the 600 has the choice of 1, 2, 5 and 50 tone, which one were you using?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fell for some of the hype and bought a 600. Oh well. .

I have to respectfully disagree with the "hype". Multiple, well respected posters on this forum are posting up credible video's showing the Equinox's capabilities. I can empathize with your ergonomics concern and that can be a make or break for some, but I noticed you received your Equinox on Monday and had it sold by Thursday, which in my opinion doesn't leave enough time to learn a machine and its true capabilities. Is the Equinox for everyone, no, but I can predict this, the technology we are seeing in it, is the future. You will soon see other manufacturers following suit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread