flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so a few of us have been trying to figure out why the Equinox feels so "disconnected"... it has a wobble when doing short fast swings and sort of feels like it's slapping your arm. S shaft has been discussed.

I realized it's just that the cuff is just simply too wide for those of us not wearing winter gear. Here in Florida I'm almost never wearing long sleeves or a jacket.

My cuff was way too wide for my arm, and I have pretty thick forearms.

I spent a few minutes gently heating the outside of the cuff, one side at a time while applying inward pressure, until the cuff was the size I needed.

Now it's rock solid on my arm, and feels like an extension of my body. It feels great! Huge improvement. I now feel connected.

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive heat gun if you don't have one. They are very handy to have around.

Go very slow and heat from a distance slowly moving inward and keeping the gun moving aimed at the lower part of the cuff. If the surface starts to show any signs of turning "glossy" you are too close and heating too fast. Obviously remove the strap first, and do not heat the foam padding.

See how much smaller it is now?

IMG_6117.JPG

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I might be doing the same thing here shortly.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, it does not speak well for a machine that has to be "fixed" right out of the box. Apparently there are numerous things that folks seem to have to modify immediately, according to the posts. What were they thinking?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree Smoky. A lot to pay for a machine you have to alter that soon. The armrest should not be as rigid and have a bit more adjustment.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, it does not speak well for a machine that has to be "fixed" right out of the box. Apparently there are numerous things that folks seem to have to modify immediately, according to the posts. What were they thinking?

It is not a fix, everyone has different arm sizes and has personal preferences. I have owned, Whites, Tesoros, Fishers, Troy and Minelabs and every one of them I modified to suit my personal tastes just like my cars..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, new out of the box does this ruin the warranty? Putting some removable foam there makes more sense. (or wear a heavy coat in the summer?):laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, new out of the box does this ruin the warranty? Putting some removable foam there makes more sense. (or wear a heavy coat in the summer?):laughing7:

That would not void the warranty, you would have to open the detector up to void the warranty. Heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun seems like a simple mod.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people will NEVER be satisfied, and will find fault with the most petty things, and complain about them.
Can't wait for the complaints about how Minelab didn't include a mount for a charging brick, or a folding stand, or for a Go-Pro, etc... C'mon! Geez!
I've never seen or owned a "Perfect" product. They don't exist. They just get improved, either by generational development, or by end-users themselves....like FLGLIDERPILOT.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Name one machine that users aren't modifying to their own preferences.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice modification FLgliderpilot, thanks for sharing. I think the cuff is a little wide too but the thing is if it was thinner someone would complain it is too thin , they cant really custom fit it for everyone. I think the grip is a bit long for my hands too but for someone with really large hands it is probably just right. Personally the most important thing to me is the actual performance of the machine and it performs great, there are little cosmetic things I would change but none of it really matters, it is what it is . As long as there are no major issues with its performance and it continues to work as it does now I will be very happy.

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great idea, thank you for this.

Also, this isn't a "flaw". I have skeletor arms (6'4" and 190lbs), so I expect nothing mass produced to fit me.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed my Nox to an engineer who has designed ergonomic tools for decades. When he saw it - before he ever touched it - he said. “They have designed in an ergonomic problem, let me show it to you.”

He took the detector, gripped it normally, then turned so I could see it sideways. He pointed to the arm cuff - where his forearm touched the bottom of it. He said that that was the fulcrum - then he traced a line through the midpoint of the grip. He then said to mentally extend the line to the ground. The end point was several inches in front of the front edge of the coil.

He then demonstrated that - since the axis of rotation was aligned forward of the mass of the coil - when you swing the detector, there is a pronounced rotation moment along the axis described by the line between the bottom of the arm cuff and the middle of the grip - it wants to twist - you then have to expend energy resisting that torque. “Poor design” - he concluded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I showed my Nox to an engineer who has designed ergonomic tools for decades. When he saw it - before he ever touched it - he said. “They have designed in an ergonomic problem, let me show it to you.”

He took the detector, gripped it normally, then turned so I could see it sideways. He pointed to the arm cuff - where his forearm touched the bottom of it. He said that that was the fulcrum - then he traced a line through the midpoint of the grip. He then said to mentally extend the line to the ground. The end point was several inches in front of the front edge of the coil.

He then demonstrated that - since the axis of rotation was aligned forward of the mass of the coil - when you swing the detector, there is a pronounced rotation moment along the axis described by the line between the bottom of the arm cuff and the middle of the grip - it wants to twist - you then have to expend energy resisting that torque. “Poor design” - he concluded.

Agree... but this can be overcome by simply grabbing at the bottom of the grip.

Minelab was right to go too big rather than too small, they just went a little too big... like I'm in a dry suit big.

I definitely recommend trying this it really makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy swings a Nox

article-1220536-06D3F2F0000005DC-274_468x338.jpg

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed this as well. It was an easy fix. Just tighten strap down on arm. I have very skinny arms as well. No wobble once tightened down. I cannot "fix" my cuff or I will not have the flexibility of using it in the cold with several layers on my arm.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the same warming thing with my Impact and it make a world of difference.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, the OP mentioned the word "fix". To be clear.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, the OP mentioned the word "fix". To be clear.
No problem,.

Fix as in to customize it to suit him better like my excals. I have added pp mod, GG Amphibian HPs, Wot Coil, Anderson Knobs, Anderson Straight shafts to my excals, they are mods not really fixes although some may call them fixes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread