It's a winner for sure!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After waiting WAAAAY too long from my Sept 18 pre-order date, I finally got to open my Equinox800 on the spring equinox of 22 March. I like the ergonomics, I like the weight, I like the wireless, I like the speed.

When I read about the design and features I was really excited to get one. When I got mine out to the first spot (more on that later) I had that "crap, what if I dont like this thing" hunt. After 3 hunts, I'm in LOVE!

About that first hunt.... Whenever people come on the forums and ask about one of my previous detectors (E-Trac or CTX) I always tell them to start out easy, don't hunt trashy sites, start in a tot-lot to learn tones, responses, pinpointing, etc. Jumping head-first into a trash filled site is never a good way to start. It's solid, smart bit of advice to prevent frustration. What did I do? I went straight to a previous hunt site, one that is trashed out. It also left me feeling like "what the heck have I gotten into? Is this thing any good? Am I even going to like listening to this?" Well, I changed sites and it got much better. The biggest obstacle with swinging the EQX is that it is SOOO sensitive and fast that trash sites will sound like a grade-scholl band doing a pre-concert warmup.

Once I got onto a better place, it was much easier. I learned to tell the sounds about and the sounds of deep coins. I started digging old wheaties and then I nailed my first silver dime (merc) next to a chunk of iron in a place I have hunted with the CTX, the E-Trac and Evan (old hunting partner) hunted with a DEUS. Then I tried it an old park where I never found anything old. My CTX only ever sang out on clad. First hunt there with the EQX800 gave me a Barber dime, my first for the year.

Then yesterday I took to a site that has been pounded hard. Its public. It's old. It's been hunted for decades. I dug 13 silvers from there in one day with my CTX (after which, other local hunters pounded it AGAIN). I pulled more deep, on-edge wheaties. I dug my first Indian Head from this site (and first for the year), I dug 2 Buffalo nickels and then I hit GOLD! A tiny, old, deep, gold pin with a 1929 date inscribed. It was 6 inches deep and still gave a solid nickel response. After that, I knew this was a game changer for me. My CTX is now for comparison testing and a backup. The EQX800 my primary stick, and I've barely learned how to use it. It's only going to get better from here and I cant wait to get it over some of my old GOOD grounds!

btp-29.jpg

btp pin.jpg

btp depth.jpg

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! What I like hearing is how many are pulling the good stuff out of previously pounded sites!

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! What I like hearing is how many are pulling the good stuff out of previously pounded sites!

Absolutely! Now, I will be the first to admit that good finds from old sites isn't always about the new detector. I have another site that My old partner and I pounded until we couldnt even find wheaties any more. I stopped even going there because it just wasnt worth the time and fuel for the effort. Then Late last year I was back there for a job so I decided to swing it again and it suddenly came alive again. Same detector, same site.... the ground just opened back up.

Even with that caveat, there is no way in hell the CTX could have found that gold pin. I'm pretty dang sure it completely missed the buffy nickels too. If the weather will cooperate, I will be bringing my CTX on future hunts to film comparisons, in the ground before anything is disturbed.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I can't wait to see the comparison.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats! about time....

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What settings were you running at the park?

I'm not 100% because I changed settings to check each target. Sometimes I went back the last hunt settings, sometimes I kept the changes. BUT, I'm pretty sure I was running it in field 2, recovery 3, iron bias 3, threshold 3, 5 tone. That is where I kind of settled after changing things around in the start.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds! Very interesting to see all these rave reviews from people that used to swing top of the line detectors. Talk about a let down though.....Fed Ex left me the dreaded tag on the door instead of my new machine!

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.
Good start with Nox.

I love mine.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice find! :occasion14:

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good finds again.

It seems that there still only a few people got there nox, and weather and time is cooperating , but it looks like folks are making good finds, this gives me hope of a decent trash to treasure ratio

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice gold pin. Congratulations.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EXCELLENT job, Jason! You have had some impressive success already, and you described those hunts -- and the difficulty of the sites -- very well.

WOW -- you have taken to the machine QUICKLY!! CONGRATS!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread