2 silvers today with the Nox...couple of comments/questions

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, pretty excited about finding 1931 and 1945 Mercury dimes today at a new spot. Really getting some quality time on my 800. I was somewhat frustrated/concerned with it on Friday. It would not stop chattering and had very little depth on a clad dime. I was at my favorite park where I cleaned up with my AT Pro and the Nox was just noisy as hell. Tried noise cancelling and ground balancing and switching programs and nothing would quiet it down. The bigger concern is that I threw a clad dime on ground and I could barely get a signal at 3-4 inches above it. There are some power lines bordering the park....and I'm pretty sure that was the issue because it did quiet down the farther I moved away from them. One thing that definitely worked in quieting the 800 down was to switch from Multi to 40 MHz. The chattering on Multi was intolerable. I did not have my cell phone on me. This morning I decided to bury a merc dime and compare programs/frequencies to see what gives best signal. Firstly, I was a little disappointed...at 7-8 inches I could barely get a peep on the merc. I tried switching to all the different programs and then all the different frequencies...the best signal acquisition was with 40 MHz in Park1. (Yes I noise cancelled and ground balanced and had sensitivity at 22). I know there are a lot of factors that can affect depth but I'm sort of left with the impression maybe the Nox isn't as deep as I hoped. Today I stayed off Multi and detected on 40 MHz only...it was so quiet and stable and my test showed I was getting better depth on 40 MHz vs Multi.

Still did find these 2 beautiful Mercs today with my 800!

Take care! mercx2.jpg

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
somethings wrong... whats you recovery speed set at? What was sens at in the park with emi? 40 kh should not be outperforming multi.. btw what mode were you running?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm I think something is off because it will definitely find deeper dimes and your throwdown test of a clad dime is also abnormal. Also unusual that 40kHz was your best signal on the test Merc since this is a weaker frequency for high conductors. Should be the other way around. Are you able to use Multi anywhere without chatter? Are you balancing in auto or manual? What is your iron bias set at?

OP
OP
H

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im definitely still learning the machine. I was park2 sens 22 recovery speed 5..it definitely quieted down on 40 vs multi. Today i tested depth in yard....40 mhz did a little better in signal stength and was quieter. I do think emi was issue.

Whaf kind of depth would you get a mercury dime?

OP
OP
H

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manual balance and iron bias i have never touched. I got both those dimes today on 40 MHz...one 4 inches the other maybe 6. I really appreciate feedback as i learn the machine. Im mostly a turn on and go guy...which was oerfect for at pro. Bit of learning curve on nox

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set iron bias to 0 and lower your recovery speed to 3, though I still think something is off with your setup. I found a 9" slick Barber dime in the middle of trash on Park 2, Multi, 22 sens, with recovery at 5, 0 iron bias, and the high tone was clear and VID fairly consistent.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi in my yard is a problem for me too. Buried power line near my test bed. Running in 15khz helps there but multi is what you want to be using. Just hunt away from emi as I do

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had similar results in my test garden at home with my 800. It had me a little concerned. Those concerns melted away when I started pulling wheats and silver dimes at 8-10 inches at the park with nice solid tones and pretty stable VDI in high trash areas. I have underground power lines on my property line and a small yard so I think that is the issue. No detector has really shined in my test garden yet. At pro was useless in my garden. Ctx and etrac are slightly quieter and deeper but not great either.

I use auto ground tracking, recovery speed 7, sensitivity of 23-25, iron bias 0, multi frequency, and park 2 mode most of the time at my parks. Have no chatter issue and have seen great depth and separation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread