erte

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the like on my first post Honest Samuel... i heard you say a couple of times on another thread in this section: 'Equinox is not for me', well i think the equinox is not for me either if my fully waterproof 600 dollar sand shark hits a nickel at 10-12 inches and the equinox is not able to...

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that when a new detector comes out on the market, that members should wait they read the reports on tests by our experts members like Terry. 600 & 800 are very expenses. Tread carefully members.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Well, it is made by a major manufacturer in the business, who pioneered the technology.
All companies generate buzz for their new products. The Nox seems to have scored a bullseye in the price/performance/features category. Just wait, the 1000 will have GPS, internal coil wires in a telescoping plastic shaft and a cooler for your beer.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the like on my first post Honest Samuel... i heard you say a couple of times on another thread in this section: 'Equinox is not for me', well i think the equinox is not for me either if my fully waterproof 600 dollar sand shark hits a nickel at 10-12 inches and the equinox is not able to...

It will hit a nickel at 10-12". It will also show you that it's probably a nickel or gold ring and not a rusty bolt or bottle cap.

Lower recovery speed gets more depth yes, but the highest still goes fairly deep.

Yes you can use wired headphones, but it's a new detector and the waterproof headphones are not available yet. Several people have made their own adapters or headphone connector.

OP
OP
erte

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the nox keeps blinding me with its elegance but i'll continue to ride the shark until my eyes see more clearly

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the nox keeps blinding me with its elegance but i'll continue to ride the shark until my eyes see more clearly

Great, we need someone to remove all the nails first! :laughing7:

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that when a new detector comes out on the market, that members should wait they read the reports on tests by our experts members like Terry. 600 & 800 are very expenses. Tread carefully members.

If you are referring to Terry Soloman he has been giving the Nox glowing reviews since he started using it. I believe he even sold off many of his Tesoros after using the his Nox for a few hunts.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Samuel, I agree with your statement but at what point do you feel like you've gathered enough information? I've seen some well respected guys on here give thier nod of approval. I haven't really seen anything bad about the machine. I know I've been following Jason from Enid and he does a ton of detecting using his CTX. He enjoys using the Nox. The only thing we really don't know yet about the Nox is whether it will be durable though reports are that it feels durable.

You take someone like me. I've owned and became proficient with the Ace250. I own a ML Go-Find. I owned an ATPro for a bit but I sold it. I love MDing but can't justify $2k+ on a machine because I'm super busy with coaching, kids, work, and everything else. My Ace is acting up so I need a new detector and I can't see myself coming to the conclusion that I want a different sub $1k machine other than the Nox. That said, if you own one of the expensive detectors, I guess I can see the dilemma.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did watch a seemingly legit video review on the tube where a dealer done a fairly in depth review on the Equinox 800 .... He claimed the machine really lacked in the depth department and did several on film tests to back his claim that 7 inches was Max depth for the detector. He claimed to be using factory settings ....my problem with this video is that there are dozens that prove him wrong or he had a bad machine. Every other video has made this detector seem to have more than enough muscle to satisfy my needs. I do know that you can get stronger and weaker machines of the same model. I have seen Tejons and Vaqueros vary as much as several inches. The CZ's also vary some.....just my thoughts.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did watch a seemingly legit video review on the tube where a dealer done a fairly in depth review on the Equinox 800 .... He claimed the machine really lacked in the depth department and did several on film tests to back his claim that 7 inches was Max depth for the detector. He claimed to be using factory settings ....my problem with this video is that there are dozens that prove him wrong or he had a bad machine. Every other video has made this detector seem to have more than enough muscle to satisfy my needs. I do know that you can get stronger and weaker machines of the same model. I have seen Tejons and Vaqueros vary as much as several inches. The CZ's also vary some.....just my thoughts.
It's very possible that in his soil conditions and stock settings that it would only get 7 inches of depth. That being said in most soils I have seen it used in including mine it goes much deeper. I have been hitting wheats and silver dimes at 8-10 inches in a local trashy park. Ground balancing and sensitivity settings seem to make a substantial difference as well. The different modes have very different depth capabilities especially in stock settings. So to sum it up there are many factors to consider when it comes to depth but many have reported depth comparable to the top detectors like deus, ctx, and etrac. I come from an etrac myself and have seen no loss in depth switching to Nox 800.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erte did you get one or just thinking about getting one? All detectors are somewhat different and if you can, try to test drive one at a dealer near you if possible. That goes for any machine.

OP
OP
erte

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erte did you get one or just thinking about getting one? All detectors are somewhat different and if you can, try to test drive one at a dealer near you if possible. That goes for any machine.

i was thinking about getting one, i'll wait some time to see more comparisons, who knows maybe another better type detector comes out in the future from minelab or another company?

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the Equinox 600 for a month or so now, and my opinion from almost the first day has remained that it is unlikely to "obsolete" all single-frequency VLF detectors; that it is good bang for the buck; that it doesn't compare to my Etrac in accuracy of TID and depth info, meaning that it won't replace the Etrac; but that in very trashy, iron-filled sites, it separates better than the Etrac and will unmask and "see" coins that the Etrac simply doesn't.

As for depth, I've done no scientific tests at all--just used both machines, usually on separate occasions--but the Nox seems at least as deep as the Etrac. The soil's mineral content greatly influences depth, and the 7" limit in that video (which I have not seen) may well have been accurate--for that soil. For the Nox, proper ground balancing, mode and speed settings will also make a significant difference for depth. I would not worry about its depth.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There again, your Etrac is not a single frequency machine, so, naturally, it's not going to obsolete it. Single frequency machines in the $500+ category have to be worried though, as their days are numbered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread