flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I never thought I'd use this feature.. I had an order in for a 600, but changed it to an 800 for no particular reason.. mostly because I didn't like the 600 headphones.

Well, I'm glad I did. After struggling with my machine on several hunts, I finally set my machine up for 3 tones, matching the pitch and break of the AT Pro and my CZ-21. This made a huge difference in my effectiveness. I no longer feel like I'm learning a new machine. I am learning the numbers, but the tones are familiar, even the break at penny which bounces between high and mid right on the fence (19/20). I went out and hit my front yard which I was sure I cleaned out with my AT Pro and CZ... it's LITTERED with iron nails, etc, but I now am hearing coins all over the yard with solid numbers! Apparently my other machine could not separate the coins from the nails. Will dig those shortly!

A big plus is that foil tops and gum wrappers now fall into the IRON category. I am no longer bothered with digging hundreds of gum wrappers and catsup packets (gross)! My CZ loved these things.

Anything +9 or up is mid tone. Of COURSE there could be something good under 9, but it's very unlikely and time matters, and it's not worth digging hundreds of catsup packets for what lies below 9 (at least to me).

Consider this if you are on the fence between 600 and 800

Last edited:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cusotmizing pitch and break is one of the first things every new Nox owner should do, IMO. Hated the low soft sounds before I did. I set mine up to mimic some of my old detectors tones and the familiarity made for a smooth transition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread