Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ended up ordering an 800 through Kellyco because they were willing to do a waitlist order using Minelab’s Military Discount, as some sponsors did not want to. Anyways, I ordered end of February, about a month ago and the sales rep told me they’re still shipping out end of Octobers orders and to contact them back in a month and see how things are going.
I’ll be patient for now, since there is still snow on the ground here in MN and everything is frozen, but once this warm weather hits I don’t know if I’ll be able to be patient haha might cancel and order the 600 instead.

The main reason I went with the 800 over the 600 is:
1. Visiting my Dad in Phoenix and he’s always wanted to go “nugget shooting” and so the dedicated Gold mode would be nice.
In all reality though it seems silly to pay up for the mode when I’ll use it maybe 2 times a year.
2. I wanted the WM08 module because I HATE over the ear phones. I always use built in speakers or earbuds. But Vferrari over on the “Official Equinox Headphone Thread” has got me thinking the money saved could get me a nice pair of aptx LL earbuds and then I don’t even need the WM08 module.
3. I live in MN and rarely make it to the coast, I would be using the Park mode mainly and hunting freshwater rivers and lakes. I also tend to not delve into advanced settings, but probably would use the 50 tone setting.

So those are my main points, is there anyone using the 800 that has a feature they “couldn’t live without” with the 600. Also, watching and reading Terry’s reviews has me thinking the 600 is more than enough. Decisions decisions.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thoughts as you did. I just ordered the EQ, for MY hunting needs, the 600 would be all I would need, BUT, at the last minute I went ahead with the 800. Reason being is that the extra options would be nice to have, even though I may not use some of them, they are there. I'll start with factory pre-sets, and work it up from there, and it was the "options" I felt might be nice for future use. This will be my last "New" detector, sooooo..........

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same thoughts as you did. I just ordered the EQ, for MY hunting needs, the 600 would be all I would need, BUT, at the last minute I went ahead with the 800. Reason being is that the extra options would be nice to have, even though I may not use some of them, they are there. I'll start with factory pre-sets, and work it up from there, and it was the "options" I felt might be nice for future use. This will be my last "New" detector, sooooo..........

Yea I’m kind of in the same boat. I probably won’t have thawed ground till atleast mid April. So maybe there will be an influx of 800s we’ll see.
If it gets to be mid April though and they’re still saying 4-8+ weeks, then I’ll cancel and get the 600. We’ll see in a few weeks i suppose.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I’m kind of in the same boat. I probably won’t have thawed ground till atleast mid April. So maybe there will be an influx of 800s we’ll see.
If it gets to be mid April though and they’re still saying 4-8+ weeks, then I’ll cancel and get the 600. We’ll see in a few weeks i suppose.
I just ordered yesterday, March 26, and they thought perhaps May or June. That's OK though, because I hope that by then, the "options" offered will by then be out there for sale. 6" coil, and wall and car charger. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been pawing at the ground on this, but I'm going to go ahead and order the 800 today. I was talking to a friend at Kellyco the other day and he said there were over 325 on backorder. My expectation would be June or later.

Edit: Order placed! I expect delivery by Christmas....

Last edited:

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 800, but now that I've used it- I would be perfectly happy with the 600.

I haven't even opened the WM module- the detector can pair directly to bluetooth headphones. I also don't think the included headphones are very comfortable for me- the ear cups are smaller than all my other headphones.

I also think all the 'advanced' settings are pretty much fluff and don't add any performance or value. Oh you want the back light a little dimmer and change the sound of the target up or down a little in tone? :)

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for your comment powerdubs, I was also deep in thought between 600 vs 800 but went with the 6, just because im a beach pulltab shooter.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 800, but now that I've used it- I would be perfectly happy with the 600.

I haven't even opened the WM module- the detector can pair directly to bluetooth headphones. I also don't think the included headphones are very comfortable for me- the ear cups are smaller than all my other headphones.

I also think all the 'advanced' settings are pretty much fluff and don't add any performance or value. Oh you want the back light a little dimmer and change the sound of the target up or down a little in tone? :)

Yea that's true... I could probably find some sort of tinted protector or something to use at night. We'll see.
I have a feeling if KellyCo is that backed up I might be better off using a local person or finding another company to do the Military Discount on Pre-Order... we'll see
Thanks though, I'm sure I'll end up with the 600 haha Then I can justify buying a TRX or the new PI pinpointer haha

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Powerdubs helped me out and I am charging my 800 right now . I have been looking for two weeks and living on cabelas web site watching / waiting . I have called or emailed every major dealer with no luck . It is these back woods nobody dealers people hardly ever buy from or even knew they existed that will have them sitting there waiting to sell .

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cancelled my Kellyco order.
Put in an order for a 600 instead with a different dealer.
Kellyco said they think the backlog will slow down by August or September! I’m not that patient haha

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a 600 and hit my local park since getting it. I didn't think I needed all the bells and whistles after owning a 3030. I wanted a simpler machine. So far I love the machine and the weight difference is awesome! Also, I covered the exact ground I went over with the 3030 several times. I pulled out a bunch of coins in the same area, and I found 6 nickels which I have never done with the 3030 ever. Once I learned the VDI a little better I pulled out very few pull tabs, bottle caps, and other trash. With the 3030 I could not tell the difference between a screw cap and a coin, and with this machine I can identify the tone difference for a screw cap probably 70% of the time. This in only three hunts. I really like the 600, but I am a novice so take what I say with a large grain of salt. The only thing I wish I could change, and maybe there is a way to do this with the 600, is to create a separate tone for nickels or other lower VDI targets. In five tone the nickel tone is the same as a pull tab. I like to tone hunt and the parks I hunted are so trashy I don't like staring at the screen the entire time. I did order my detector through Cabelas and got it four days after I ordered it. They offer a 5% military discount only which is one draw back.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a 600 and hit my local park since getting it. I didn't think I needed all the bells and whistles after owning a 3030. I wanted a simpler machine. So far I love the machine and the weight difference is awesome! Also, I covered the exact ground I went over with the 3030 several times. I pulled out a bunch of coins in the same area, and I found 6 nickels which I have never done with the 3030 ever. Once I learned the VDI a little better I pulled out very few pull tabs, bottle caps, and other trash. With the 3030 I could not tell the difference between a screw cap and a coin, and with this machine I can identify the tone difference for a screw cap probably 70% of the time. This in only three hunts. I really like the 600, but I am a novice so take what I say with a large grain of salt. The only thing I wish I could change, and maybe there is a way to do this with the 600, is to create a separate tone for nickels or other lower VDI targets. In five tone the nickel tone is the same as a pull tab. I like to tone hunt and the parks I hunted are so trashy I don't like staring at the screen the entire time. I did order my detector through Cabelas and got it four days after I ordered it. They offer a 5% military discount only which is one draw back.

Good to hear. I am sure for what I need the 600 is more than enough machine. I can always upgrade later if I’m yearning for more advanced controls. The big thing for me was at first people were saying the 600, in multimode, only operated on 3 frequencies, not 5 like the 800, but that has since been put to rest.
Thanks for the info!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 600 will do just as well as the 800. The advantage of the 800 is being able to set custom tones and breaks (say 3 tone instead of 5 for example), and gold mode. I didn't think gold mode was useful, but recently in the dry sand I found a pendant and started looking for the chain... gold mode to the rescue.

But, I would not hesitate to get a 600... I've been considering buying one as a backup / loaner to compliment my 800.

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Powerdubs helped me out and I am charging my 800 right now . I have been looking for two weeks and living on cabelas web site watching / waiting . I have called or emailed every major dealer with no luck . It is these back woods nobody dealers people hardly ever buy from or even knew they existed that will have them sitting there waiting to sell .
That's how I got my 800 so quick... From a small shop in SC who had no waiting list.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you not get more frequencies with the 800?

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you not get more frequencies with the 800?

You get more SINGLE channel frequencies to use (and the additional Gold mode, which weights the 5 MultiEQ frequencies differently), but the 3 other multiEQ programs operate the same between the 600 and 800. You cant select 20 and 40 channels for individual use on the 600. The marketing material on this is borderline misleading if you ask me.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read somewhere anyone will be able to buy off the shelf 6-8 weeks.sooner if everyone drops their pre order......I canceled my pre order 2 weeks ago. The dealer called me this morning and asked if I still wanted a 800....it's charging in my den as I write this.....

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cabela's is ripping military personnel and vets off. The discount is from MINELAB, not from Cabela's. If they are only offering a 5% discount for military, they are pocketing the difference. That is FRAUD!!!!
Thank you for posting that little tidbit. I will never buy anything again from them.

The price for an Equinox 800 with the military discount from MINELAB should be $764.15, and the 600 should be $551.65...PERIOD!!!

As for frequencies... The 600 has Multi-IQ capability in ALL frequencies up to 40Hz, but only the 800 can use the 20Hz and 40Hz independently.

Last edited:

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read somewhere anyone will be able to buy off the shelf 6-8 weeks.sooner if everyone drops their pre order......I canceled my pre order 2 weeks ago. The dealer called me this morning and asked if I still wanted a 800....it's charging in my den as I write this.....

That makes absolutely no sense.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.... but true as day...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread